Book - The Road to Castle Hill

More
14 years 5 months ago #2722 by max2
I really enjoyed reading this book during my stay "at the farm" in NZ. I sourced it from Touchwood Books NZ, although I note its on the shelves at Paper Plus.

Written primarily by Christine Fernyhough, I thought it was great, and about time a good NZ read was to be had after all the UK stuff I had been reading of city dwellers becoming gumboot occupants.

By geese, she really jumps in, financially and physically. Not dabbling with a "day job" to pay the way for the "farming flash" as some do... DOC's gets a good mention.

Frankly honest and refreshing. I could relate to Christine's experience and new found knowledge, although the SOH, when I mentioned a couple of facts about sheep I didn't know, said, yep, yep, yep, and even knew of a couple of people that had past through Christine's former charity Auckland life.

www.merino.co.nz/News/View.aspx?Articlei...eople%20and%20Places

Neat!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #76352 by Jan
Replied by Jan on topic Book - The Road to Castle Hill
Swaggie, I just bought the book from Paper Plus yesterday!

Only read a few pages though but looks a good read.

Jan

More
14 years 5 months ago #76354 by eelcat
an excellent book - a woman to be admired

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
14 years 5 months ago #76355 by Prim
Replied by Prim on topic Book - The Road to Castle Hill
I picked this book up at the library today - the rental copy they had. $5 for 14 days. I flicked through, and - to be brutally honest - figured it would probably make me sick reading of the money she's thrown around, and so left it on the shelf for someone else.

When the 45 holders for the other (free) copies of the book have read those copies, then perhaps I'll read it. And maybe it won't make me ill :/

More
14 years 5 months ago #76356 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Book - The Road to Castle Hill
I thought so too Eelcat. I cannot stress how much I enjoyed reading the book, sometimes for the local content, and sometimes because she is like me, someone interested, but someone who hadn't partaken of the rural Kiwi aspect before.

Although the content was varied in discussion, in particular in the early days when it sets the scene for CF's beginnings into the whirl of Auckland "stuff" I thought it simply great that she went as far as she did in having a go.

I am sure there are detractors out there, but I could relate to the matters at hand and by going by gut what was right or not....a worthy read in the least.

More
14 years 5 months ago #76357 by max2

quote:Originally posted by Prim

I picked this book up at the library today - the rental copy they had. $5 for 14 days. I flicked through, and - to be brutally honest - figured it would probably make me sick reading of the money she's thrown around, and so left it on the shelf for someone else.

When the 45 holders for the other (free) copies of the book have read those copies, then perhaps I'll read it. And maybe it won't make me ill :/

but why Prim? Of all the things that was possible for this woman, why would it make you feel ill how she chose to spend her money? What is afterall, her legal money to spend?

More
14 years 5 months ago #76390 by Pumpkingirl

Actually, I thought a similar thing Prim, made quite a few judgements about this woman and wasn't going to bother reading it.

But she's tough and while she does have money, she certainly didn't throw it about; she was told how much to spend and how much not to and if you read it, you certainly couldn't say she threw her load of money around.

I must confess I mostly knew the story of Books in Homes so I skipped those chapters but I really enjoyed the story of her farm, loved the photos and it was so lovely for her to find love again too.. I started it thinking "townie, rich, blurgh" and ended up cheering for her, she's doing good work..

Mind you, I tend to be a hopeless romantic...

More
14 years 5 months ago #76401 by gemini kiwi
I can recall a country calendar episode all about her awhile back,

More
14 years 5 months ago #76407 by Louimay
I enjoyed the book too but found the first part about the books in homes went on a bit long and took up too much of the book in my opinion and it is only my opinion because I wanted to read about her life on the Station not about books in homes. I actually skipped quite a bit of the first section and went straight to when she actually starting talking about the Station.

I saw the country calender programme about her too, gemini kiwi.

I would LOVE to life on a Station like that and its funny because I was going to loan it too a farmer friend and he said no he wouldn't read it as it would just make him jealous as that has always been a dream of his to own a big Station like Castle Hill and he knows he will never achieve it.

More
14 years 5 months ago #76440 by max2
In the beginning I also thought the Books in Homes thing went on a bit longer than necessary too, however by the time I got to the end of the book, I could see why CF's charity works were included, simply to show that this Woman had a bit more substance and public awareness/responsibility about her. There are a huge number of people who do not....people who do have more, and certainly people who have a lot less that could still contribute in some way.

I have taught E that we walk through life with all sorts of people, and regardless of whatever happens to her, someone will always have more, whether it be love, health, money, education, possessions whatever.

When I look at E's broader family, we have one member who continues to be in and out of jail, to the other side of a couple of fairly wealthy individuals who earned their money through hard work.

4 generations ago my great grandfather was unable to sign his own name, today some of my generation have gone through University and one has a scientific paper being published in Europe.

Its pointless being all "thing" (sick) of what others have, doesn't do you any good at all. I celebrate and congratulate what my wealthier family members have managed to achieve. They have come a long way from the public housing sector in England of their youth.

I have no reason to bring them "down" simply because they have done good.... So I think that way of people like CF.

The issues with DOCs is an interesting one in the book and I think needs more public exposure and will probably go some way in explaining why more people in CF's position don't/won't do "more" for the greater good.

I understand that the book may not be of interest to some, my SOH probably won't read it, but my Mum who is not familar with station farming or even the Christchurch area is enjoying it so far.

More
14 years 5 months ago #76453 by jeannielea
I really enjoyed the book too and found the parts about Books in Homes and especially Gifted kids Programme quite inspirational. I thought they told a lot about CF's character which is relevant to the Castle Hill experience. And I learned that dreams about places like Castle Hill are totally different from reality. No-one knows yet if she will ever make it a viable operation. She must be a formidable character though and I admire her guts!

More
14 years 5 months ago #76456 by Prim
Replied by Prim on topic Book - The Road to Castle Hill
Swaggie, I think perhaps some of it is jealousy. I have my own vision for our meagre, 3 acre property. I also have dreams - I too, would *love* to live on a Station. I would love to partake of a drove. I would love to do this, that and the next. And I would love to own a large property, in an out-of-the-way place, without the mortgage which means we need an off-property income to support ourselves.

So whilst some of it is jealousy some of it is simply 'not going to go there' (ie if I don't read about it I don't need to know about it and therefore I don't need to be jealous!).

I probably will read the book, at some part of it. In fact, I would quite like to read it. I'm just not going to spend $5 on a 14 day rental during school holidays with 3 kids running around. See, $5 is $5!

However, I have put on reserve 'Not Buying It'. That I hope will be inspirational, and I'm going to read it aloud to my DH if need be, so that he gets some of the message too!

More
14 years 5 months ago #76465 by ardnas
Hey thanks for all the reviews.:D I had looked at this in the bookshop and thought about getting it as her BIL is an old work colleague of mine, so I knew a little about her.:D

I know from him that she may be wealthy, but she doesn't put on the airs and graces, and is a damn hard worker, whatever task she puts her mind to. :D[8D]

And she is no spring chicken to take on such a huge lifestyle change and property[:0] Most impressed![8D]

More
14 years 5 months ago #76475 by max2

Swaggie, I think perhaps some of it is jealousy. I have my own vision for our meagre, 3 acre property. I also have dreams - I too, would *love* to live on a Station. I would love to partake of a drove. I would love to do this, that and the next. And I would love to own a large property, in an out-of-the-way place, without the mortgage which means we need an off-property income to support ourselves.

So whilst some of it is jealousy some of it is simply 'not going to go there' (ie if I don't read about it I don't need to know about it and therefore I don't need to be jealous!).

I probably will read the book, at some part of it. In fact, I would quite like to read it. I'm just not going to spend $5 on a 14 day rental during school holidays with 3 kids running around. See, $5 is $5!

However, I have put on reserve 'Not Buying It'. That I hope will be inspirational, and I'm going to read it aloud to my DH if need be, so that he gets some of the message too!

Fair enough Prim, its good to be honest to know for yourself where the issue is... and I can understand not wanting to pay $5 to lease the book during the school holidays with 3 kids at home. Is it standard in NZ to have to pay to get books from the library, or only in demand wait list ones?

More
14 years 5 months ago #76476 by Pumpkingirl
Swaggie, only the in-demand ones while they are in demand.. after that, they become regular books again and you don't have to pay. Must say, the Pukekohe library was already pretty impressive book-wise and that was before they moved into their beautiful new building.

Prim, I actually got given two copies, so if you'd like, I'm happy to give a copy to a good home:D if you don't mind the odd page being thumbed.

Time to create page: 0.252 seconds