Does anyone grocery shop over the internet ?

More
15 years 2 months ago #272 by ccrk9
Just wondered if anyone gets their groceries on line ? and if its cost effective ?

The couple of sites I have looked at look more expensive than shopping at P & Save especially when you add on delivery.

But then while we are only 40plus kms (return) from 2 small towns where we can shop, they are expensive.

Once a week we travel to either of 2 larger centres (over 100km return) where we can go to P & Save or any other supermarket. We tend to do all other jobs at the same time like stock up on chook feed, pay bills that we cant on line, any other business all in one trip so we dont have to go out again during the rest of the week - but this can take up to six hours by the time we do it all! And with the price of petrol (even with grocery discounts ) I wondered if on line shopping was the way to go[?]

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Toni - Northland
15 years 2 months ago #42401 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Does anyone grocery shop over the internet ?
I usually do but haven't for ages and MUST get back to it. I HATE SUPERMARKETS. Woollies have put up their delivery charges but sometimes they have $5 specials delivery. The mailman brings them right to my door. I haven't compared prices, but by the time I go to the shops, and home it is petrol. I hate packing the trolley, unpacking, bringing it inside etc. We went last night to the supermarket as I hadn't done an internet one for a while and the young persons' on the checkout totally ignored us while they talked and flirted with the young male customer ahead of us. I was about to say something, but decided to wait to see how long they would take and they were getting 'The Look.' That was enough. She kept apologising and expecting me to say, "Oh, that's ok" I didn't, just kept giving her 'The Look.' I think they are **** scared I will go to the manager and I might yet. Being rural though I can't get frozens etc, but that is only running into the local shop and getting milk etc when I am in town. It takes a few times to find your way around the site, but you can save your list and next time just add or delete to it. Give it a go and let me know how you get on.

More
15 years 2 months ago #42402 by Kiwi303
much simpler here. the bus runs right past our door, and we can ring or fax an order in to New World. then it comes out on the bus... even frozens like ice cream make it fine. $3 delivery charge, and the same prices as on the shelves with no charge to box it up for delivery.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
15 years 2 months ago #42403 by Ziggy
I find if I go to the supermarket to get one or two things I come out with a full trolley. The net works well for me, its a pain the first time but becomes heaps easier. As Toni says they do have delivery specials and I don't live that far out (1/2 hour) so get all my frozens delivered to my door from the little chiller truck that does the rounds. I hate the supermarket but I find with the net I pick my basics list then look through the specials. Yes I am sure it is slightly more expensive (but my time also has a value) but as I said it stops me filling my trolley with stuff I dont need and its easy to spot the specials (only a click of a button).

More
15 years 2 months ago #42412 by max2
I used to do it all the time when Bub was little in Aust. but when travelling to NZ I usually get my main 'store cupboard" groceries delivered to a friend's on the way to the farm... that way we only have to stop for milk and meat..

I find it very economical because you are not buying "those extras you didn't think of" (plus keep a list going in the kitchen of things you are running short/out of, and do your shopping from that), I do get my greens elsewhere on the way (cheaper than supermarket, more seasonal and local).

I might do it full time in NZ, but I want to check out the bulk savings at P & S beforehand.
I hear they are very good, and as we will be growing our own in the longer term, that way may suit me better.

More
15 years 2 months ago #42436 by ccrk9
I might give it a go once my credit card is down a bit :D, and do a big shop rather than just what we need for a week (as I cant see it being worth doing on a weekly basis) and pay the grocery money onto the credit card - talk about high finances!

We can ring one of the 2 local supermarkets and order on account and our Rural Post man will collect and deliver but when an item I buy on a regular basis is $1.50 dearer than at P & Save I sort of resent it.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
15 years 2 months ago #42918 by kate
I'd like to know how much the rural postie gets paid for delivering the shopping order. I know when my lovely local rural postie delived a gazebo I'd bought on TM, he told me he got $1 for delivering it to me. It is 3m x 3m so quite heavy and bulky even when taken apart and stashed in it's little carry bag.

If even a dozen people on a rural post run shopped like this the postie wouldn't have room for his mail [B)][B)]

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
15 years 2 months ago #42928 by max2

quote:Originally posted by Kate

I'd like to know how much the rural postie gets paid for delivering the shopping order. I know when my lovely local rural postie delived a gazebo I'd bought on TM, he told me he got $1 for delivering it to me. It is 3m x 3m so quite heavy and bulky even when taken apart and stashed in it's little carry bag.

If even a dozen people on a rural post run shopped like this the postie wouldn't have room for his mail [B)][B)]

Cheers
Kate

Do the NZ supermarkets contract it out to the rural postie? That could take ages I guess, and as our mail box has to be back up the road somewhat, then its not really a home delivery either...

So perhaps P & S is going to be the go for me.

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds