ads on web sites

More
11 years 1 month ago #27176 by rob
ads on web sites was created by rob
i read the Herald for news, but i am getting cheesed off with the ads that are there. i use firefox and adblock plus for the pop ups, but its the other ones that slide up, down, left, right. they are so distracting that all i want is to read the damn news, not look at stupid ads.

anyone any ideas on how to try and stop this

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #375046 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic ads on web sites
Use a Firefox add-on called FlashBlock.
Those ads are Flash based, and flashblock will replace them with a little symbol. If you want them to run, hit the symbol and it will start. You can also tell flashblock to always allow flash on a certain site, and never on others.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
11 years 1 month ago #375048 by kiwi_jon
Replied by kiwi_jon on topic ads on web sites
Just remember that it the ads that keep sites like the Herald and this site free to access.

More and more news sites are having to put their content behind paywalls because of people using ad blockers.

More
11 years 1 month ago #375050 by rob
Replied by rob on topic ads on web sites
thanks wyeyes and KJ, it will change, i believe we will end up paying for this in the end

Rob

More
11 years 1 month ago #375058 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic ads on web sites
Anything like that on IE? Know what you mean Rob.

More
11 years 1 month ago #375091 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic ads on web sites
That's why these tools allow us to choose what to allow, what and to block.
There's a fine line between paying for the website, and purely being intrusive and costing us for excess downloads.

As for IE, dunno. Haven't used it for years. In fact, if I really have to use IE, I use an IE add-in for firefox instead.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
11 years 1 month ago #375096 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic ads on web sites

wyseyes;367606 wrote: .....There's a fine line between paying for the website, and purely being intrusive and costing us for excess downloads.

And for those on dial up it can make the difference between viewing the webpage/site, or going elsewhere because it is taking too long to download to view because of the extra cr*p that comes with it :(

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
11 years 1 month ago #375108 by kiwi_jon
Replied by kiwi_jon on topic ads on web sites
^

With the increasing use of smartphones and tablets many websites are adding mobile/lite versions of their sites. Some of these sites can be viewed in an ordinary browser e.g

m.nzherald.co.nz/
m.stuff.co.nz/
m.metservice.com/

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds