Diesel burner

More
11 years 1 month ago #27168 by ronnie
Diesel burner was created by ronnie
One of the properties we are looking at has a diesel burner as the only form of heating. I know absolutely nothing about them. Can anyone tell me anything about it please? It looks fairly new. Has a huge tank over in the yards for the diesel storage.
Would mean an end to mucking about with ashes and wood etc. The place belonged to an elderly couple and I guess they put it in to cut down on work load.

Any thoughts??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #374994 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Diesel burner
I assume it is a boiler feeding radiators or in-floor pipes. Find out what control you can have over heating different areas of the home. Is it broken up into many zones? Can different zones be kept at different heat levels?
If it is a modern condensing boiler it will be much more efficient than the older type of diesel boiler.
There are some figures on here giving comparative costs, but of course the price of diesel etc is subject to change...
You can change the boiler type but this is a big expense.
Check the diesel tank is in good condition, and fully bunded, so if it leaked there would not be a spill. A modern installation is likely to be fine.

More
11 years 1 month ago #374995 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Diesel burner
Sorry Hawkspur, this is a Burner (as in looks like a log burner but runs on diesel) rather than a boiler. Only used for heating the open plan lounge/kitchen space. No radiators or underfloor pipes. But it does have a wet back for heating the hot water cylinder in the winter.

More
11 years 1 month ago #375014 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Diesel burner
I'd be very wary given the huge rise in diesel prices over the past few years. Perhaps it was put in when diesel was approx 78c a litre but not today! If you can find out from the property owners what the unit is, what the specifications are (what output per litre of fuel burnt) then you will be better informed.

I guess we are all wary of things we don't understand and a diesel burner is in foreign language territory for me.

More
11 years 1 month ago #375028 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Diesel burner
Oh, sorry[:I]. In that case I personally would be even less happy with it...

More
11 years 1 month ago #375144 by Jan
Replied by Jan on topic Diesel burner
Well we used to have a diesel fire in our breakfast room (just looks like a log burner from the outside), came with the house. But after a few years, we ended up replacing it with a wood burner. Best thing we ever did..

The pros were that it was easy to light, no messing around with kindling etc. We could leave it on overnight or if i went to work. No messing around with collecting or stacking wood etc.

But the cons were, yes it was getting expensive and it was a pain re filling the tank outside unless you can get a big tanker in to fill it in one go.

Also to be honest it didn't really heat the place that well unless you had it on high ($$$) all the time. Our breakfast room isnt that big so i would imagine in a bigger room then it may not just cut the mustard so to speak. But our was an older model ....maybe newer ones are more efficient. Also it didn't heat the hot water cylinder that well neither certainly not as efficient as the wood burner.

But that's just my opinion, others may have success stories and love them, i guess they wouldn't be selling them still if no-one liked them.

Jan

More
11 years 1 month ago #375262 by Mainlander
Replied by Mainlander on topic Diesel burner
The one I have seen (in a very large day room up on a skifield), uses (in theory) around 1L per hour on full noise - I'm sure that soon enough this will be $2 per hour to heat - fine for a large commercial space, but for your home might be a little expensive....

More
11 years 1 month ago #375314 by 1farmgirl
Replied by 1farmgirl on topic Diesel burner
We rented a brand new house with a diesel burner and it was extremely expensive to run, not sure how much per hour but we got through two tanks in one winter (and they may have been 200 litre tanks). When it was going well, it was great but when it wasn't it was very dirty. They need to be run on clean diesel, not just farm diesel so we found out

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds