Freezer beast - What's it worth?

More
12 years 11 months ago #374007 by BRL

LongRidge;366291 wrote: Down here only sometimes does the works pay transport and killing costs, and unless there is a beef works in Taranaki, then a steer up there might have to pay these too.

No transport costs to the farmer in the North Island (I'm pretty sure it's the same across the whole of the North Island) - the works pay the transport costs. We send our culls to SFF - the only deductions are Meat Levies and an Inspection Levy ($17.20/head on the last cull we sent off).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #374197 by LongRidge
Glenn, if the Angus was a heifer then she may have cut her teeth to make her a cow, which means lots less dollars to you. I guess that dairy cows are reasonably valuable this year, but a couple of years ago we could not sell a big beast in autumn to the highest paying company, because of the risk of the weight breaking the chain. That was a problem that I hadn't heard about before.
If your Angus was a steer, then he might have got even more than Sue guestimated. Homekill are often weighed just before butchery after they have sat in the chiller for however long losing moisture. In the works, this moisture is all weighed.

More
12 years 11 months ago #374202 by Sue
Hey LR, the NI cow prices are spectacular, or were a couple of weeks ago!

P2 cow, $4.15/kg- two of dear old girls netted over $1400 in the 345-445 kgs cw bracket and another at 337kgs over $1200.

Yes, quite possibly the steer could have gone higher. I based my calculation on $4.65/kg and our deductions here are $34.75 per head (inspections/TB/M&W deductions)

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
12 years 11 months ago #374206 by stephclark
last springs offerings.. 18mth black white face.. cut out at around the 220-230kg..

when i didnt sell half a home kill [;)].. $500/half standing in paddock.. then each paid for own butchery costs for their half...

ended up around $700-$750 .. 110kg ish in bags in the freezer each half

More
12 years 11 months ago #374238 by skyline_glenn
The Angus was a steer. We ended up with a carcase weight of 342kg, out of that we ended up with 200kg of meat +or - a bit as I used to bathroom scales top weigh it.

230kg of meat is a great outcome for an 18 month old x steph. Our last dairyx was 2yo and we ended up with 160kg of meat in the freezer.

Glenn

More
12 years 11 months ago #374240 by sod
and so yuuuuuuummmmmy too

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds