Foot meet Nail

More
12 years 10 months ago #27033 by Gracelands
Foot meet Nail was created by Gracelands
So, in tackling my long list of Easter jobs, cleaning up after the builders, I stood on a rusty nail. [B)] Hard enough to go through my Croc, through my sock, and make my toe bleed. So do I need to drive into town and spend the rest of this afternoon in A&E waiting for a Tetanus shot? I have no idea how long it has been since my last booster. Ages anyway. Rats. What a waste of the only possibly non-raining day this weekend.

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #373722 by TKFARMER
Replied by TKFARMER on topic Foot meet Nail
not a nice feeling when the foot says hello to a nail, you do need a tetanus shot if you can not remember when your last one was. Be careful. tkf

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

More
12 years 10 months ago #373723 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Foot meet Nail
Yeh, best to get an up to date anti-tet shot. Better to have it and not need it than not have it and do.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 10 months ago #373726 by Gracelands
Replied by Gracelands on topic Foot meet Nail
Thanks guys, Definitely not worth the risk. Oh well, off to town I go, drat it.

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

More
12 years 10 months ago #373749 by blimeyvicki
Replied by blimeyvicki on topic Foot meet Nail
My son recently ripped his knee open on a rusty nail and the doc at A&E told me there was no point in getting him a tetanus shot AFTER an injury. Has to be done beforehand to protect you???? This has never been my understanding. I was bitten by a dog and had a shot on the same day on the soca recommendation. Does anybody know what is correct?

More
12 years 10 months ago #373770 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Foot meet Nail

blimeyvicki;366107 wrote: My son recently ripped his knee open on a rusty nail and the doc at A&E told me there was no point in getting him a tetanus shot AFTER an injury. Has to be done beforehand to protect you???? This has never been my understanding. I was bitten by a dog and had a shot on the same day on the soca recommendation. Does anybody know what is correct?

I have never heard of this! My son put a nail through his foot some years back, and that's the first thing they did was get him both the individual tetanus shot and then a booster, as he'd never had one before. I believe it can act as an anti-toxin as well as a preventative, so that's why it's given after the fact?

More
12 years 10 months ago #373772 by Gracelands
Yes, certainly the boosters can be done after the injury. Not sure of the time frame though. Apparantly if there's any possibility of dirt or dust in a wound, tetanus is a possibility, particularly if its a puncture wound, like my nail was. There's about one case a month in NZ, and 1 in 4 are fatal, I believe. The good news is the new injection now lasts 20 years, so now I'm good till I'm 70.

Which doesn't help me today, as I now have a sore arm and a sore toe.:(

Hans Christian Anderson

More
12 years 10 months ago #373797 by TKFARMER
Replied by TKFARMER on topic Foot meet Nail
Better a sore arm & toe than tetanus I reckon.tkf

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

More
12 years 10 months ago #373844 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Foot meet Nail

Gracelands;366130 wrote: Yes, certainly the boosters can be done after the injury. Not sure of the time frame though. Apparantly if there's any possibility of dirt or dust in a wound, tetanus is a possibility, particularly if its a puncture wound, like my nail was. There's about one case a month in NZ, and 1 in 4 are fatal, I believe. The good news is the new injection now lasts 20 years, so now I'm good till I'm 70.

Which doesn't help me today, as I now have a sore arm and a sore toe.:(

Should have had it in your rump instead of your arm[}:)]

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 10 months ago #373856 by Gracelands
But then I'd have a sore rump, and I wouldn't be able to stand up OR sit down comfortably! :o

Hans Christian Anderson

More
12 years 10 months ago #374054 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Foot meet Nail

blimeyvicki;366107 wrote: My son recently ripped his knee open on a rusty nail and the doc at A&E told me there was no point in getting him a tetanus shot AFTER an injury. Has to be done beforehand to protect you???? This has never been my understanding. I was bitten by a dog and had a shot on the same day on the soca recommendation. Does anybody know what is correct?

That doctor should have been given the boot - where did he/she get their qualifications from?

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds