Do you send x-mas pressies abroad?

More
14 years 5 months ago #2701 by Hestia
How many of you do send x-mas pressies and birthday pressies to family abroad?
Does it reach where it is supposed to go?
How often does it get there in time and at all?

I think it is 50-50 when I send stuff to sweden if it shows up at all!

I sent paper with my tax declaration and it never showed up and I had to resend it twice!

I sent a A4 size package with NZ car magazines and the package came to the adress neatly opened and empty!
Swedish post had a message attached to it telling that this is how it came to sweden!!

I sent a package with clothes and soft toys and some all black stuff and package has not showed up yet even though I sent it early december.
(I spent so much time shopping and checking for right sizes)

This is just my last three things I tried to send.

Time after time!

Is it just to sweden this happens?
Have to go and see the post office again tomorrow and do a claim.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #76127 by The Kats Place
Happens to me too and when I am sending to britian or even Australia. I've lost parcels sent to the south Island. And it costs so much to post them.
I often transfer money now and get my daughter/daughters in law to do the shopping for the grandchildren. Not the same but at least they get something. I make sure I take a special gift when I go to visit.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 5 months ago #76174 by witheze
My Xmas parcel to Australia arrived safely and swiftly.

More
14 years 5 months ago #76181 by gemini kiwi
I send stuff overseas, sometimes it can get to the UK in about 4 days.

More
14 years 5 months ago #76185 by Birman Babe
I send to Australia, UK and Italy and never had anything go missing *touch wood*

• maggies mum
14 years 5 months ago #76188 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Do you send x-mas pressies abroad?
I used to, but I don't know, costs more to post than the present did!

Had things take ages too.

More
14 years 5 months ago #76193 by max2
I receive a lot of larger documents/parcels/books from the UK, (Amazon sends the parcel to a european country for handling and postage so it could come from anywhere) and NZ.

In early December a parcel I had been waiting for from NZ took over 3 weeks to get to Aussie.

Another time a small plastic A4 folder arrived it had been opened by aussie customs and checked over. Because the sender was a window manufacturer in South Auckland, I thought it really odd so asked him if he had any trouble beforehand with his documents being opened. He said he hadn't.

2 book deliveries ago from Amazon UK had the box ripped apart with a note from Aussie mail that is how it was received by them.... and they had to tape it back up again. I think someone must have gone through my order to see if it was any good.

As far as christmas pressies go, if it doesn't fit in the carry on luggage then it doesn't go and I order from the Country involved over the internet instead.
I no longer order buzzy bee's from NZ for newborns here because of the handling and postage charges imposed by one or two Kiwi businesses, which are way in excess of the postage paid on the box.

More
14 years 5 months ago #76198 by ronnie
Hi Suzanne,

I send stuff all around the world all year round. They all get to where they are meant to be and in a reasonable time frame. The only country to cause any problems so far, is Thailand. But knowing that, I send stuff to there via registered mail. It is very expensive, but cheaper than replacing goods (and the recipient pays the costs).

I no longer send personnal gifts to family overseas tho as it is just too expensive. We just transfer cash and the recipient does the gift buying on our behalf.

cheers
Jan
www.kozitoez.co.nz

More
14 years 5 months ago #76213 by Hestia
As being a grandmother you like to send pressies that are bought and not money and also to buy something local kiwi made!
It is the thing with that grandma has bought this and it represents NZ.
To send a backpack that looks like a pukeko to a 5 year old and not money.
Also money here is a bit less than money there, what I can get for 200 dollars here in the shop is more than I can get when converted to their money.
Also that I buy things on special and start making the package a couple of months before x-mas.
It is kind of ruining my x-mas that someone steals my grandkids x-mas pressies.

More
14 years 5 months ago #76216 by max2

quote:Originally posted by Suzanne

As being a grandmother you like to send pressies that are bought and not money and also to buy something local kiwi made!
It is the thing with that grandma has bought this and it represents NZ.
To send a backpack that looks like a pukeko to a 5 year old and not money.
Also money here is a bit less than money there, what I can get for 200 dollars here in the shop is more than I can get when converted to their money.
Also that I buy things on special and start making the package a couple of months before x-mas.
It is kind of ruining my x-mas that someone steals my grandkids x-mas pressies.

going by my experience with AmazonUK, I don't think its at the NZ end Suzanne, rather the european end....

More
14 years 5 months ago #76223 by Dream Weaver
I have given up sending to Australia. I have a nephew in sydney and he has 2 children. EVERY time in the past 2 years we have sent presents over for birthdays, they have never got there. Supposed to be able to be traced, but they have never been able to yet! Couriers are way too expensive. sending money even costs.
Last Christmas I found a good online store in aussie and picked the kids a present through that. Worked brilliant. Kids got their presents and loved them and we at last were happy to know that the gifts actually got there.

More
14 years 5 months ago #76248 by Hestia
it is somewhere in the midle,,same thing happens when I send things the other way around,,
I sent lollies to hubbie thru courier with track and trace and could follow where it had been and I counted the lollies and knew exactly how many someone had helped themselves to!!

It is such a shame that you can't send kiwi made things as pressies since it is good for NZ to sell stuff and also PR for NZ.

More
14 years 5 months ago #76258 by Midge
Someone, not in our family, is pulling around two buzzy bees in Kenya:( Sadly, I gave up trying to get parcels to the Grandkids there.

I found Australian mail bad too so stopped sending parcels to my son.

I feel that having to write what's in the parcel on the declaration sticker is the reason parcels get nicked.

As a Mother and Grandmother I feel stink at not sending birthday and Christmas gifts. Giving gifts when the kids and Grandkids are home on holiday surely can't be as exciting for them as receiving them on their special days.

It's sad that the world has come to this[V]
Cheers:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Cheers[:)]
www.jerseycows.co.nz

More
14 years 5 months ago #76445 by GBpeter
Had no problems either to or from NZ but I am not specific on the Customs Declaration and always seriously undervalue the contents so as not to attract thieves.

Given postage costs, I use internet shops in the recipient country for anything that is not of kiwi manufacture.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds