gas patio heaters

• Andrea
13 years 2 months ago #26998 by Andrea
gas patio heaters was created by Andrea
Does anyone know how long a 9kg gas bottle might run one of these for? I'm thinking of getting one for a friend whose house is unlivable due to earthquake, and who has no heating apart for electric, which is becoming increasingly difficult to run because of the cost... they have a covered patio area that they use lot... their house has been braced so they can use the kitchen for now, but they have been told their house till be bulldozed eventually... anyway, was over there yesterday in the southerly blast, and it was actually colder inside than out (it's an old triple brick house). She's been ill a lot lately... I have been thinking about her all day and night... she's older and it's really getting her down and making her sick. Anyway, back to my original question. She doesn't like being in the house because it's still pretty unstable, so they spend a lot of time outside in their covered area... that's why I was thinking of one of those patio heaters...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #373428 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic gas patio heaters
Check the megejoules per hour that the heater uses. There is a calculation that tells you the gas consumption.
This site might help.

Awesome gesture, I'm proud of you.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
13 years 2 months ago #373430 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic gas patio heaters
Thanks, spoook, not seeking a pat on the back, just hate the way my friend is having to live now, we were positively shivering by the time we left, and the car heater still hadn't heated my legs through 20 minutes later. What's worse, is her job is processing salmon, so she works in a chiller!!! But thanks... They are meant to get their flue fixed at some stage, but they are on a waiting list, with everyone else, but even with some priority due to her ill health, it will be weeks before they get a new flue so they can fire up their coal range again.

Just checked that site, thanks again, spoook, those are some helpful figures to look at. It looks like it will only run for 10 hours on a 9 kg tank, and at $25-30/refill, that's looking like a similarly expensive option for her to run, even if she only runs it an hour a day... what to do!! We can't do the flue, it has to be through 'proper channels', so she has to wait... Ugh. It was down to 2C last night, I can't even imagine trying to get a good night's sleep in those circumstances. She's only in an old caravan at night.

Can we maybe brainstorm here? Ways to help? I know she's not the only one in these circumstances, but low/fixed income people are really, really going to be hurting this winter.

More
13 years 2 months ago #373448 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic gas patio heaters
Quick question: how enclosed is the patio area? Patio gas heaters are not safe to use in an enclosed patio, so if this area is not at least completely open on one side, I'd be looking for other options. They burn a lot of gas and therefore need a constant flow of fresh air.

They also shed a lot of heat out the top so check clearances to any roof structure too.

A radiant heater like that is ideal for draughty environments as it is not trying to heat you by heating the air (as it passes quickly by).

You can get electric or gas radiant panel heaters for under eaves that might suit. But they do not heat your legs if they are under a table top either and they would require installation.

If the patio is quite open, would an outdoor woodburner such as the ozpig or a brazier or chiminea suit? Some of these are useful for cooking as well.

More
13 years 2 months ago #373453 by blimeyvicki
Replied by blimeyvicki on topic gas patio heaters
I have an old campervan and one of those miniature gas column heaters keeps that toasty warm all night. Could the caravan be kitted out a bit better so she can live more in there? Because they are small they are easy and cheap to heat, even with electricity. Our van has cooking, a gas fridge even tv etc. It is quite comfy though obviously SMALL which I imagine would be hard for any length of time.

More
13 years 2 months ago #373459 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic gas patio heaters
Gosh, no, patio is completely open on one side, clearance shouldn't be an issue, as it's quite high, old ceiling height, which was what, 12 feet? I would think they'd only set it up just outside the roofed in area anyway, at least that's what I pictured.

Mini gas column, now that's a really good idea, thanks bv. I admit I didn't have a chance to look at the caravan when we were there, but will be seeing her again in a couple of days, so will have a look at what can be done. I don't want to step on her pride and take over, but I really feel I have to do something.

More
13 years 2 months ago #373460 by jen
Replied by jen on topic gas patio heaters
Maybe something like this if the area is well ventilated?
www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Camping-outdoor...uction-369634919.htm

Have they got warm thermals? Kathmandu is running a sale, might be some good warm stuff available. Or warm sleeping bags that they can sit in. Those 'rechargeable hand warmer things maybe (you boil them to return to liquid form and then press a disc to start them heating)

Do they have a microwave? This is going to sound mad.. but we have pads we bought for the cats.
www.trademe.co.nz/Pets-animals/Cats/Beds...uction-370215940.htm
You heat them for about 5 mins in the microwave and they stay warm for almost 12 hours. We've been putting the heated pads on our laps while we wait for the room to start warming up. Last night I zipped one into my jacket while I was making dinner!! They're not cheap though, but they don't have much in the way of running costs :) !! Don't know if anybody makes a 'people' version, but they're nice warmth. Kind of hard, but not a big problem.

I know what you mean about the cold. It was 9 degrees in our house this morning. Its way too early to be this cold. We're also on the list for chimney/flue repairs and I'm pretty sure we won't see anyone before winter is over. At least we have the luxury of being able to live in the house (and can afford to run a column heater to heat the room we're sitting in).

Is there something they can do to further enclose the area they're sitting in?

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

More
13 years 2 months ago #373481 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic gas patio heaters

Andrea;365779 wrote: Gosh, no, patio is completely open on one side, ...

Sorry if I seem paranoid, but it doesn't hurt to be sure. A person I knew died from carbon monoxide poisoning from using a gas appliance in an enclosed space.

Good luck with finding a solution that they are happy to use. This weather must be hard on so many at the moment.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds