Digital clocks

More
11 years 2 months ago #26942 by Rod Brown
Digital clocks was created by Rod Brown
I have a radio alarm clock with a cd player on the top, cost about $80 three or four years ago. A couple of months ago it started to gain 5-10 minutes a day (bloody nuisance). I have pulled it to bits but of course it is all printed circuits and no obvious place to make clock adjustments, can these be fixed, might not be worth it but it is too expensive just to dump.

Ta

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #372839 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Digital clocks
If you know the values of the components, you can test the resistance etc with a meter and see if they read what they are supposed to. Yes, they can be fixed if you can find someone these days who knows a bit about electronics. Unfortunately with this damn throwaway age, most of the old guys who used to do this work are now out of business while the electronics shops cream it selling replacement goods.
Amongst the various electronic gizmos on that circuit board, is there a very small square component that looks a bit like the top of a little post with a hole in it? If so, the black bit in the middle looks a tiny bit like a Phillips screw. That may be the speed adjustment. You also get components like that in remote controls for auto garage doors etc and if they stop working and it's not the battery, then the little screw has drifted off its tuning and needs adjusting. Often it doesn't take much.

Another possibility is that there is a capacitor that energises and discharges to control the speed of the LCDs and it may be firing too fast. In that case it needs to be identified and replaced. It may look like a tiny black can with grey writing on it.
You could also try the manufacturer to see if a replacement circuit board is possible.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds