Breadmaker recommendations/comments

More
11 years 2 months ago #26898 by Hawkspur
My father is interested in getting a breadmaker, and I know nothing about them as I prefer to either make my own from scratch or do things the very easy way and buy bread.

He has particularly asked about the mixing blade and whether some models do not have this "baked into the bread".

He lives on his own so a smaller one would probably suit him, and he would not want to do kibbled grain type bread because of his teeth, so the ability to cope with that is not a consideration.

Any advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #372455 by foufee
We have a breadmaker with blades that get baked in, what we do is we worked out when the last knead was in the cycle we use and at some point between then and the start of baking (preferably sooner than later) we lift the dough and remove the blades. We do still end up with the shaft holes but they are much smaller than the blade hole when we leave them in.

More
11 years 2 months ago #372458 by bevhawkins
We have a George Foreman, its brilliant, we don,t find that it makes big holes where the blades are. My mother has been through 3 and taken them back because bread was left with gaping holes, she has the same as me and never looked back. You do not have to use grain flour and its got some wonderful recipes. You can also make a smaller loaf.

More
11 years 2 months ago #372468 by shad297
This is probably not a lot of help to your dad, but I only do bread in breadmaker until dough stage, take out, knead slightly and put into a proper loaf tin to continue proving then put into cold oven, turn up to 200oC and cook for 45 mins (10 mins for heating up) and 35 mins to cook. This also ensures the bread rises nicely too. The reason I remove it from breadmaker is that I am hopeless at cutting the 'tall' loaves my machine produces. :)

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
11 years 2 months ago #372472 by Coastal Patch

shad297;364657 wrote: This is probably not a lot of help to your dad, but I only do bread in breadmaker until dough stage, take out, knead slightly and put into a proper loaf tin to continue proving then put into cold oven, turn up to 200oC and cook for 45 mins (10 mins for heating up) and 35 mins to cook. This also ensures the bread rises nicely too. The reason I remove it from breadmaker is that I am hopeless at cutting the 'tall' loaves my machine produces. :)

This is what we do too, you end up with a better loaf shape [;)]

More
11 years 2 months ago #372531 by gemini kiwi
Panasonic all the way here, on our second one, it does a great job.

More
11 years 2 months ago #372541 by Simkin
Panasonic - it's the best one on the market and there still are some new ones around. They were unavailable in NZ for 2 or 3 years and the prices for used ones on TradeMe were higher than what you pay now for a brand new one.

Yes, it leaves a hole and as I bake over night I don't get up to take out the blade. However, the bread slides out easily from the pan. It makes a smaller loaf which is not that high.

It also makes far less noise than any other brand when in operation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #372634 by Hawkspur
Thanks for all the advice! :)

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds