Advice wanted on healthy diet

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #371472 by terralee

rivercottage;363531 wrote: Oops thanks Kate. Here's a recipe from Annabel Langbein - I haven't tried it yet but they look yummy and it says it takes about half an hour to make:

Sesame and oregano lavosh:
1 cup plain flour
1/3 cup wholemeal flour
4 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tbsp finely chopped oregano
1tsp salt
1/4 cup ex virgin olive oil
1tsp sesame oil
1/2 cup water

Preheat oven to 165 C
Mix dry ingredients, then mix in oils and water and make a soft pliable dough. Roll out dough (about 1/4 at a time) as thinly as possible, cut into narrow strips and roll again until nearly see through. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper, brush lightly with oil and sprinkle with flaky salt. Bake about 15-18 minutes.

I imagine you could use other seeds or herbs, and the sesame oil will be for flavouring so probably optional. I wonder if you could use a pasta machine instead of rolling them out?

Cheers

Ditto and double yum:D ...Mmmmmmm home made crackers[^] will give these a go ..Kate can you make the recipe appear in the recipe section ...I still can't do fancy puta stuff[:I]

I also feel it is not just what we eat ....tho' the more natural and less refined the better and I do strive to make most things from scratch even if I don't grow everything ...but another thing I have always felt is we are very lucky to live in the country and not be subjected to all that pollution that comes with city living ...or even towns for that matter ...all our fresh air ..yummy[^] ...I think even when we smoked we were better off air-wise than folk stuck living in the city[xx(] (nearly 4 years smoke free now:D:D:D)
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #371475 by jeannielea
If you want to be a bit extreme you can try the raw food diet. A member of my family did it for several months and still sort of follows it but does eat other stuff as well now. She's breast feeding so I guess its too hard now. www.altmedicine.about.com/od/popularhealthdiets/a/Raw_Food.htm

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #371478 by The dream
Well done Terralee on the smoking (or non smoking)
The Lavosh are really yummy. MIL made some and sprinkled with garlic salt. Very yum

The man at the top of the hill didn't fall there! [:D][^]

7 acres, 10 sheep, 1 cow, 10 chooks, 4 goats, 3 very spoilt cats. Living the dream.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #371519 by kindajojo
Eat food that still looks like what it was"
what is your diet now and what do you consider "unhealthy" can you slowly replace those items with healtier alternatives.

Breakfast - I make my own meusli way cheaper and better than bought, but I still have weetbix and the odd bacon and egg

Lunch is random but usually a roll or wrap (work full time) lots of fresh fruit

Dinner is home cooked meat and seasonal vege

Rarely eat - fast food. commercial biscuits,

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #371521 by Hasbeen
I can only speak about my own experience.
My husband was in his 40s when he had a stroke.
We were in the manufacturing of food game at the time.
I found that the only thing Supermarkets were interested in was shelf life.
Result of that was we had to use more chemicals to get on the market.
It took till my husband had a major heart attack & a quadruple bypass at 60 till the penny started to drop with me.
We worked long & hard, so fast & instant was our way of life when it came to food.
Not for one moment did I think food that was bad for us could be sold.
Years before, we had done the Lifestyle thing while the kids were young & I started thinking back to our health then.

Slowly I started with what i called our living sandwich each day.
Things I grew in barrels of home made compost, like herbs & lettuce.
I started reading labels.
I left the instant stocks on the shelf for a year without using them, then threw them out.
Slowly our health improved.
Dh now over 81 & home-brewing, me in my 70s back to basics with everything.
Arthritis started for me at 38 by 42 I had to wear a neck brace to drive more than 1 block.
I have not worn that thing for the last 4 years.
I work longer & harder than I did in my 40s.
I have become positively obsessive about no additives, no preservatives, if my grandmother did not eat it I don't + everything in moderation.

So far it works for us.

Hope that diatribe is of some help, all the best in your quest for health.
Oh I just realized I did not say what we eat; cream butter yoghurt home kill mutton but all organic home made bread cake. Husband also has diabetes & has been maintained on diet alone for 10 years.
Does his bloods most days & never a hitch.

Recovering Lifestyler

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #371536 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Advice wanted on healthy diet
rivercottage - do you have a family history that would suggest that you are "likely" to get this condition? I wrote a huge response to this (being cynical regarding medical science) and my cat jumped on the computer and shut it down! I have reopened to just say that I have had more biopsies for "moles" than most people have moles. I have had a full C section op for a tumour that did not exist.

Seriously, just relax and work out what the chances are that this will have picked you out for a problem. I have worked with genetics and I am convinced that it is genetics that predispose you to certain conditions ( breast cancer in woman for example) but if that is not in your family genes then take a big breath and don't lose any sleep over it.

I had one uncle out of eight siblings who had Type 2 diabeties but suddenly, I am a candidate? I have done three lolly water tests and my results are "Not Normal" in that I plunge into hyperglycemia and that is not normal. "So why" I ask and no one (post three tests) can explain it. I just walked away. I don't give a rats as it is all a nonsense!

We are obviously being fed crap food when you know you have lived in an area for over 20 years and seen them spraying off the crops, spraying in full growth etc so yes it is a problem. However, how confident are you that the property you have bought is not contaminated? Is it Selenium (most of NZ), copper or Iodine deficient? How do we know that what we are growing in our home gardens is healthy?

Personally I could not give a damn. I smoke, I love the fat off a lamb chop or a piece of steak. My daughter is a healthy freak. She hates all of the previous, eats a low fat diet etc and I have never experienced the health problems she has - as a health worker and a fitness instructor to boot.

Don't forget, I have been there - the tumor possibility - and it makes me angry that we still have the scare tactics. Put it another way. I have had two friends who have been admitted to hospital recently and been asked: "Do you smoke?" "Yes I do" "Do you want to quit?" " No I don't" Nurse - I totally understand because I am a smoker too".

We have a health system that is focussing on PC random crap ( unless you are 100kg and live on pork and puha or taro etc without any greens in you diet) - in my opinion - so riverscottage - just live and love your life and don't deny yourself love - whether food or a partner or whatever - I assure you , unless you are obese - or have a family history of your supposed "tumour", you will be fine. Just love life and enjoy it for what it is! Laughing is far better than angst!

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #371559 by ame
Replied by ame on topic Advice wanted on healthy diet

Kate;363529 wrote: Just a note that it is illegal to buy or sell homekill!

I am really curious about this. I don't want to hijack the thread, but how does that work?

1) If you want some homekill, how do you get it? Can you only get it if it's your own animal? Can someone give it to you? Does it count if it's cooked/processed?

2) If you have 'too much' homekill, how do you get rid of the excess? Do you have to burn or bury it? Can you give it away? What counts as 'you' for 'your homekill', you as an individual? Your immediate family? Your extended family? Can you serve it to guests?

I haven't Googled this, as I wanted to do is ask directly. It may be a sore point for some, so, sorry, but I'd like to know the simplest answer to those two points. Thank you.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #371563 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Advice wanted on healthy diet
If you want homekill you buy an animal, look after it for 28 days (unless you already farm animals of the same kind) then have it homekilled.

If you have too much homekill then you're lucky. You can feed it to guests, and there is a real grey area about whether you can give it away, my reading says you can but you can't barter, sell or trade it in any way.

Here is all the information and the rationale behind it.

Web Goddess

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #371565 by KiplingAngel
Hi all

In reference to eating in a healthy manner, I've just finished reading a book called "Deep Nutrition" and am currently reading "The Vegetarian Myth" - both are about the rampant damage done by modern agricultural practices, and especially the low fat, overprocessed, chemically enhanced, nutritionally decimated foods. It also gives a lot of good advice about how to go about repairing as much damage as possible, including eating naturally fermented foods (yogurts, kefir, saurkraut, miso etc), organ meats (Liver, kidneys etc), bone broths (Home made stock of course)and meat cooked on the bone. Also adding in as much raw foods (Sprouts, veg, etc) as possible can help.

Cutting out foods loaded with carbohydrates can also help, so sugars, breads, potatoes etc can do good things, especially for diabetics.

Incorperating 'real' fats, so animal fats and butter is important too - and cutting out any vegetable fats other than cold pressed olive oil and coconut oil - so margarine, rice bran oil, canola oil etc are off our shopping list.

If you are growing your own food, I would suggest that you get a soil test done - I got mine done by Environmental Fertalisers, and then raise the brix levels of your soil to grow your veg in - so raising the nutritional factor of your foods.

There is a lot of good information out there - I would suggest you get in contact with the Koanga Institute in Wairoa if you need more advice.

I hope this helps

T

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #371631 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Advice wanted on healthy diet
We try to eat food that looks like what it used to be. We limit "number crap" as much as possible but not to the extent of refusing to allow the children to eat stuff that is offered to them at parties etc. My wife makes our bread from assorted organic flours. We use raw sugar but I'm not convinced that the supermarket raw sugar is as raw as Chelsea Suagr Company would like us to believe. I refuse to allow margarine in the house as I believe it to be unfit for human or animal consumption. We milk a cow and some goats for milk to drink, and for cheese and butter making. We fry stuff in butter or animal fat. We keep some hens for their eggs and eat the surplus roosters. They are not really free range but they live outside and eat whatever they find in addition to what we give them. When we kill an animal for meat we reserve the fat for cooking with. I drink eight to ten cups of coffee most days and have a beer reasonably often.
It is my firm belief that diet related health problems only really became common in the latter half of the twentieth century as prior to then most people were eating the same stuff that our ancestors had been eating for centuries without any trouble, including lots of animal fats, red meat, eggs, and dairy products.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #371632 by KiplingAngel
*Plots trip to Igor's place - sounds like heaven!

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #371645 by trixie
Hi - I use the theory of - does it have more than a few ingredients? Can I pronounce them? Natural anything has to be better than artificial, especially fats and sugars. Organic if it isn't too expensive. Good dark chocolate will fix most things!!!!
Change one or two things a week or it all becomes overwhelming.
And look at the chemical cleaners etc you have in your house.
Main point is always - happy people have healthier lives generally. So don't worry!

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #371691 by rivercottage
Terralee congratulations on being smoke free!

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #371692 by rivercottage

jeannielea;363548 wrote: If you want to be a bit extreme you can try the raw food diet. A member of my family did it for several months and still sort of follows it but does eat other stuff as well now. She's breast feeding so I guess its too hard now. www.altmedicine.about.com/od/popularhealthdiets/a/Raw_Food.htm

Thanks for the suggestion jeannielea. I have heard alot about raw food diets, but I think you have to make quite alot of effort. I think it would be something you could work up to gradually perhaps.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #371694 by rivercottage

kindajojo;363596 wrote: Eat food that still looks like what it was"
what is your diet now and what do you consider "unhealthy" can you slowly replace those items with healtier alternatives.

Breakfast - I make my own meusli way cheaper and better than bought, but I still have weetbix and the odd bacon and egg

Lunch is random but usually a roll or wrap (work full time) lots of fresh fruit

Dinner is home cooked meat and seasonal vege

Rarely eat - fast food. commercial biscuits,

I like that - eat food that still looks like what it was. Another one I heard was, never eat anything that your grandmother wouldn't recognise.

My diet now is reasonable - I might have fast food once a year; baking is shop-bought but I don't eat much of it. I never used to drink fizzy drinks, but I have now given up alcohol and so I have started having ginger beer on social occasions. What bothers me about that is that even the non-diet ones still have aspartame in them.

Food that I consider unhealthy - that's a good question. I used to think that saturated fat was BAD for you but now I am changing my view. I guess my number 1 priority is to not eat anything that has come out of a laboratory or been messed about with. I find it hard to understand how oil that has been heat treated, treated with benzene and hydrogenated can be less harmful than butter. But avoiding things like that requires a bit of information and effort if you continue to buy ready-made foods like baked goods. I don't buy ready meals of any form except for the occasional fresh pasta and sauce - but I think I will be reading labels more carefully now.

I think you are on the money when you say "slowly replace those things" - trying to do everything at once would be quite overwhelming I think.

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds