call me an idiot...

More
13 years 3 months ago #26794 by MooandPop
We have finally decided to replace our car. Nothing wrong with it, but it is the most boring, personality-less, nothing vehicle we have ever owned! We have constant discussions about how much we hate it. AND, drumroll please, it will be replaced by a Morris/Austin 1300!!! My first car was a Morris 1100 and to my shame, I drove it into an early grave :( due to total lack of very basic maintenance and complete lack of money to spend on repairs. So this is me appeasing the BMC gods and trying again. :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #371370 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic call me an idiot...
ha ha :) I am sure you will enjoy it, but I like my personality-less car. :D
As a friend who is a mechanic said, "We forget how much work old cars can be. Now, we expect to be able to just hop in and take a long trip, or drive around for 6 months without having to work on them. There is a lot less business for mechanics now, since the Japanese started making reliable cars. It used to be that before people would consider driving for a holiday they would book their car in for a service, and it would need it."

More
13 years 3 months ago #371376 by igor
Replied by igor on topic call me an idiot...
I rejoice with you MooandPop. My first car was a Mini, my next two cars were Minis. Over the years I have had three 1300's and an Allegro. In the mid 80's I drove a '51 Vanguard which I still have in the shed at my parents' place. My current daily driver is a Wolseley 1300. It is the oldest of all the vehicles we have in regular use and also it is the one that breaks down least often. Best of all it only costs $112 for a year's licence because it's over 40 years old. Did you know that the Morris 1100 was Australian Wheels Magazine Car of the Year in 1966?
Hawkspur, I've had three jappas, one which I still have, one which was an absolute piece of crap and I was pleased when my ex wrote it off, and one which I regret losing. The RX30 Cressida ('79-'81) was the coolest looking thing Toyota ever made but it hogged the gas more than my Falcon does.
As to working on cars, give me an old pushrod engine with a carburettor over a modern overhead camshaft, multivalve, injected setup with an engine management computer any day. Are there any real mechanics aged under 40 left or are the young ones all just fitters who rely on diagnostic computers interfaced with the vehicle's onboard computer to tell them what needs to be done?

More
13 years 3 months ago #371379 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic call me an idiot...
Well this mechanic is over 40...I won't say by how much[;)]

More
13 years 3 months ago #371394 by Suffolk Brae
Replied by Suffolk Brae on topic call me an idiot...
Were't those old Austins more areo dynamic going in reverse[?]. I'm sure I read/heard that somewhere

More
13 years 3 months ago #371402 by Chris-HB
Replied by Chris-HB on topic call me an idiot...
Enjoy your mechanicing Igor- I've got 1000 other things I'd rather be doing :D
I'm more than capable but limited my automotive efforts to maintaining the boys' cars. Their current ones are now computer-only models and I'm not really missing the challenge..

My father was once talked into buying an Allegro- the only good thing about it was my sister wrote it off at low mileage [:I]

Chris-HB

• postdriver
13 years 3 months ago #371414 by postdriver
Replied by postdriver on topic call me an idiot...

MooandPop;363429 wrote: call me an idiot.. .

O.K Your an Idiot [;)] [;)].
Hydrolastic suspension, drum brakes, dodgy gearbox mounts, gutless motor, Lucas electrics, gingernut tyres, shocking handling, styleing of a sherman tank and handling of a pig on rollerskates.
(p.s I have a minter if you are keen?)
Best of luck.
Richard.:D:D

More
13 years 3 months ago #371416 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic call me an idiot...
... and if any of you "old" mechanics could find a working Solex B 26ZIC - 2 carberettor for a '58 Ford Prefect I will be beholden to you forever. Back for another try with Horipito tomorrow (over the phone) hoping that a fourth try will result in the correct one - but not looking good. A "modern' mechanic managed to snap part of the casing and them lost the bit that he broke.

Seriously - this is getting urgent so any help (friends, mates etc and all those blokes who have kept bits in their sheds for years) may just have one.

More
13 years 3 months ago #371418 by minnow
Replied by minnow on topic call me an idiot...
I like the old ones, so much simpler to maintain... My '71 Fairlane is the best, have yet to fail a wof except for tyres :) Very glad she is dual gas at mo though be cheaper than my jappa to run soon [;)]

Little fish, big pond [^]

More
13 years 3 months ago #371451 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic call me an idiot...

DiDi;363482 wrote: ... and if any of you "old" mechanics could find a working Solex B 26ZIC - 2 carberettor for a '58 Ford Prefect I will be beholden to you forever.

the Prefect is a Ford of Europe car isn't it, like the Capri? I will ask on a UK car forum and see if anyone knows of any floating around. Worth a try, and if it's actually US, I'm on a US car forum too :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 3 months ago #371467 by igor
No, Kiwi, the Prefect is an English Ford. At that time the various Ford operations in Britain and on the continent were seperate entities.

More
13 years 3 months ago #371476 by MooandPop
Replied by MooandPop on topic call me an idiot...
hence the hitch hikers guide connection. "Although Ford had taken great care to blend into Earth society, he had "skimped a bit on his preparatory research," and thought that the name "Ford Prefect" would be "nicely inconspicuous." Ford "had simply mistaken the dominant life form." The Ford Prefect was, in fact, a British car manufactured in the 1950s. When he first arrived on Earth, Ford was almost run over while attempting to greet a blue Ford Prefect. He was saved by Arthur and this is how the pair meet"

More
13 years 3 months ago #371502 by MooandPop
Replied by MooandPop on topic call me an idiot...
car secured! 1973 Austin 1300, bright orange. Its even got a heater!!

More
13 years 3 months ago #371503 by igor
Still got the original black plates?

More
13 years 3 months ago #371505 by TKFARMER
Replied by TKFARMER on topic call me an idiot...
Ah but does the heater work. tkf

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds