Microsoft Word Starter

More
13 years 2 months ago #26790 by Simkin
We had to buy a new computer and spent well over 300 Dollars on buying Microsoft Windows which includes Microsoft Word Starter. The new computer runs Windows 7 home edition[}:)][xx(]

Now I can't even open, let alone read my documents which I wrote using Windows XP.

Is that normal?

Also there is no Outlook Express anymore so I can't email as I used to.

Has Microsoft any other priorities than making absolutely sure that noone can use their software without paying for it? What about those who have paid and still can't open their own documents?[:(!]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #371310 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Microsoft Word Starter
I've just updated to a new laptop with Windows 7 & Microsoft Office (Home & Student). Not too sure about your Windows XP documents but you could try Open Office (Google it) if you don't have MS Office.

Also Outlook Express has been 'replaced' by Outlook which is complex and annoying in my opinion. I ditched it and have gone for Thunderbird which is Firefox's email system. Takes a little setting up but it looks and behaves very much like Outlook Express and has some very clever features :)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 2 months ago #371313 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Microsoft Word Starter
Lets see.
You wrote some documents in a *program*, then when you change to a newer computer which doesn't have the same *program*, you wonder why you can't open the documents.

Get the disks that you used to install the *program* on the old computer, and install it on the new computer.

If someone told you you could use *other program* to open documents made with *program*, then you were fooled. Just because it was developed by the same compeny doesn't mean it has the same function.
Yamaha make motorcycles, outboard motors and musical keyboards, and they all do their job perfectly. Don't try to use one for another's purpose though.

They don't have outlook express any more, because they have made something they consider to be better. They call it Microsoft Mail.

Microsoft office contains MS Word, MS Outlook and other great tools. The people who program these tools put an immense amount of energy, time and skill to make these programs, and all those programmers need to feed their own families. Thus it is a purchasable product.
If I spent years of my life developing a product, I'd want to get paid for it too.

You didn't have to go with Microsoft. There are thousands of free operating systems, tools and utilities out there. Microsoft however, makes the one you are comfortable with, and know how to use. If your Toyota Starlet wears out, you don't just expect Toyota to just give you a new one?

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
13 years 2 months ago #371315 by ame
Replied by ame on topic Microsoft Word Starter

Simkin;363348 wrote:
Has Microsoft any other priorities than making absolutely sure that noone can use their software without paying for it? What about those who have paid and still can't open their own documents?[:(!]

Glad you figured it out. Don't worry. Microsoft will spend your $300 wisely.

In the meantime, you didn't say which software you had used to create your documents, but I'll assume it's MS Office.

MS Office will cost you more money if you want to buy it. A better option is OpenOffice. It's not identical, but it's free!

For emailing I suggest Thunderbird. It's also free. I also recommend Firefox for web browsing (ditch Internet Explorer), and Avast! for anti-virus (hey, that's free too!).

Actually, you could have got an entire operating system (Linux) for free too!

A

More
13 years 2 months ago #371347 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Microsoft Word Starter
Thanks everyone. I'm using Linux and Firefox but bought Windows 7 home premium to be able to work with my pictures and documents and now I can't. That's what's bugging me. Also our previous computer came with Windows XP pre-installed so no disk there. Also Windows can only be re-installed on the SAME computer so if you buy it you have to buy it for each computer you have, laptop, notebook, one purchase each. This time we went with a disk option which was quite a bit more expensive and was assured that it was compatible.

I'll try Open Office and Thunderbird - many thanks for the advice.

Wyseyes - I do understand that Microsoft needs to get paid for what they are doing but their products are now inferior to most free products on the market due to their desire to make as much money as possible while neglecting the user-friendliness.

More
13 years 2 months ago #371355 by Heemskerck Station
See this is why I stick to Microsoft. Atleast this way I don't have ANY compatibility issues.

Q: Did you uninstall Office from your old machine?

If you did then you can re-install the old to the new. As long as it is Office 2003 or newer.

Your comment on only being able to reinstall Office on the same computer is ONLY if you have not uninstalled it from the old computer. The registration process checks if the key you have entered is registered to someone else. The unistall process removes this registration with Microsoft.

More
13 years 2 months ago #371366 by ame
Replied by ame on topic Microsoft Word Starter

Heemskerck Station;363414 wrote: See this is why I stick to Microsoft. Atleast this way I don't have ANY compatibility issues.

I guess you missed this bit: "[We] spent well over 300 Dollars on buying Microsoft Windows".

It's nice that you don't have any compatibility issues, but then, neither do I, and I run all free software.

As an experiment, write a document using the latest version of Word and save it (it will be a .docx file). Now give that file to someone with an earlier version of Word (e.g. from Office 2003). Now talk to me about compatibility issues.

A

More
13 years 2 months ago #371378 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Microsoft Word Starter
Hi Simkin, I had very similar problems when I bought a new computer with Windows 7 and all my previous stuff was in Windows XP. I also lost all my emails from Outlook Express but have been able to convert myself to Windows Live mail, via Gmail-thanks to Inger's Grant and his very valuable help.
I had all my other computer stuff on an external hard drive and it converted over to Windows 7 with seeming ease when I plugged it in.

I'm not sure how it happened but my photos and documents are still happily there on what I just call (old C drive) and I just dip in and moveit into the new memory when I need to!

Not sure if that helps, but somehow I got round the dilemma despite my lack of techno knowledge. I now know to save word documents as (Word 97-2003 document) which seems to be what the earlier one was?
Grant is a whiz, PM him!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
13 years 2 months ago #371389 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Microsoft Word Starter

ame;363425 wrote:
As an experiment, write a document using the latest version of Word and save it (it will be a .docx file). Now give that file to someone with an earlier version of Word (e.g. from Office 2003). Now talk to me about compatibility issues.

A

I use office 2000, Student edition, from my Uni days.

for .docx a free download plugin solved compatibility issues.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 2 months ago #371439 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Microsoft Word Starter

Kiwi303;363451 wrote: I use office 2000, Student edition, from my Uni days.

for .docx a free download plugin solved compatibility issues.

Lucky you - take care of your old computer because the old software won't run on a new one[}:)]

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds