Horse riding fatality

More
11 years 4 months ago #371233 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Horse riding fatality
I'm sitting here getting teary about someone I never knew. Hang in there Yakut. You are right. Some people should not have animals.

Ride free Andrew.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #371234 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Horse riding fatality
As for people lying about unsafe horses; that would be very difficult prove I would think as horses react in very different ways to different people. glo pony

this whole situation is tragic and all too common.. i agree with Glopony above.. an example is a beautiful, well bred warmblood i bought.. advanced dressage, show jump, hunter, eventor.. everyone i spoke to or saw riding him was Terrified of him..he came with the reputation of bolter, kicker, rearer , wont float and tended to leave the premises via the front gate ( over it ).. he was reputedly the cause of a pile up on state highway 1 some years ago when he sailed over the gate onto the road[:0]..

i trust this horse with my life! huge statement i know.. but 12 years of adventures together and he has saved me twice, where other horses would have left me to it and buggered off...

having said that.. i will not let anyone else ride him or handle him..hes not nasty .. but he will give others a 'hard time' unless i am on the end of the rope.. ol sod[;)]

on the subject of some people shouldnt have horses...**&%&*%^$^*[}:)][}:)][}:)] .. my pet hate..i am dealing with 3 locals that thought having a pony was a ' neat' idea.. ggrrrr...they cant catch them, lead them, shoe them or do anything.. and one pretty little 1/4 horse mare ( abit blardy nice actaully ).. has mastered the art of spinning around and double barrel aimed at head height..
all these smart arse ponies need a good sort out before someone is realy hurt or killed...( so far, combined, we have concussion, broken leg and broken pelvis ) but no point while they are with their present owners..
ps i have no probs with any of them.. touch wood.. i am the one that puts the covers on, or catchs them when they escape or sorts the feet..mind you, you couldnt pay me enough to get on one!

More
11 years 4 months ago #371298 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Horse riding fatality
I can add to that as well as I have been the drop off point for a few horses over the years that are travelling some distance to new owners. One is particular I remember was a pitch black gelding and I was told not to go into the paddock with him with a feed bucket, and because I was female. He apparantly hated women!

Well, I stuck him in a paddock (after emptying out) with two other horses that I had a great relationship with and at feed time just thought - "Screw this - if he wants his feed he had better behave" and guess what - he did! The owner came a few days later to pick him up and nearly fell over when I went up to him in the paddock and put my arms around his neck and gave him a hug - the horse! - not the owner! Sometimes I think "Chinese whispers" do more harm than good!

But I am not totally stupid and am well aware of horrendous accidents with completely bonded rider/horse combinations. I just treat horses on instinct and thankfully have never had a problem. Just ticks me off when horses are ruined by incompetent owners etc and then expect others to pick up the pieces.

My own horse arrived in a float covered in blood - no he never trucked or floated again and he had obviously been bashed on the head, being a chestnut that needed a sunshade and for whatever other reason someone dreamed up. I first went to touch his head and there was sheer terror in his behaviour and a backward leap. It took a while, weeks in facts but the day he buried his head between my boobs was a memory I will never forget let alone being able to stick my finger in his ears to get the goo out! Horse people will understand that comment. I miss him so much!

More
11 years 4 months ago #371312 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Horse riding fatality
after going out to feed the goats this morning, I also had to give Yakira another injection. I managed to grab her and it was over in a couple of seconds, no worries. The next time I came outside, I had a screwdriver in my hand and took a detour to check their water. I also had another look at Delia to see how her limp is improving. She took one look at the implement in my hand and slowly backed away from the gate. With all the tonics and Ketol and stuff I've had to get into her, me venturing towards her has her on alert. I later went out with clippers to clear the hedge away from the hot wire. This is like Pennies from Heaven for the goats. I clip away anything I can reach and trim hard under the hotwire and Pittosporum rained down upon them, oh Bliss! They still fought over it but they could have a paddock full and they'd find a bit to argue over.
Atticus has the runs from hell, I think it's just too much fresh grass cos I've cut his grain and ezyfirbre right out and for the moment he's just going to be happy with hay. His mouth is pink and he's eating but it's whistling straight out the other end. I've given him Hebe and he had a drench of Matrix when I thought he did look a bit pale but I was so tired and the torch light was LED so I couldn't really get a definite colour but they looked pale after three or four checks and trying to see past the bright white of the LED... well I was so exhausted after Yakira, I didn't want to take the risk so I drenched him. ................. Sorry, I lost the thread :o

Yakut

More
11 years 4 months ago #371314 by blimeyvicki
Replied by blimeyvicki on topic Horse riding fatality
Yakut, I have had the vet in 2 or 3 times to look at Caramac, who, as you know, is a pretty friendly, easy going kind of a goat. The second time the vet came he had to give her a shot of antibiotics into her neck and she SCREAMED!! It was awful, I have never heard her make that noise before nor since.
Anyway, whenever the vet comes to our house now she stays away - even if she sees him in the paddock over the road at the neighbours house! If he starts to whistle - which he does whenever he is going to approach an animal to examine it or give it some kind of treatment - she goes ape and takes off! Makes me laugh how she knows what the whistling means......

More
11 years 4 months ago #371352 by GloPony
Replied by GloPony on topic Horse riding fatality

DiDi;363343 wrote:
My own horse arrived in a float covered in blood - no he never trucked or floated again and he had obviously been bashed on the head,

Or just bashed his head going on the float or backing out at a million miles an hour which is how they usually do it. I've seen a horse kill itself instantly doing that; reared on the ramp, hit it's head, stone cold dead! [xx(]

Some of the things people do to horses to get them on floats & to do other scary things is just beyond belief if they had any thought for the horse at all! [:(!]

More
11 years 4 months ago #371420 by Ghilly
Oh hell, it's got worse if that could happen, I talked to Mum tonight. It seems Andrew is now at his mums place, the machine was switched off and he is still alive...... he is in a coma and is too severely brain damaged to recover, they just have to wait for him to die now, he obviously isn't eating or drinking so it's up to his body to wear out.......
His mum was an IC nurse and his sisters a nurse, friends and family are gathering, he's in a comfortable reclining chair and looks like he's sleeping. His sister has put a message book out for visitors to write something in it. One of his friends wrote "You never wanted to get on that horse did you?".

If an animal was injured and had brain damage and was left in a stall to die, the owner would be done for it, fined at least and yet if a human ends up in that condition they are virtually left to starve, even though they might not be aware of it. Their family has to sit it out and wait. So much for humanity!

Yakut

More
11 years 4 months ago #371429 by Webby
Replied by Webby on topic Horse riding fatality

Yakut;363487 wrote: Oh hell, it's got worse if that could happen, I talked to Mum tonight. It seems Andrew is now at his mums place, the machine was switched off and he is still alive...... he is in a coma and is too severely brain damaged to recover, they just have to wait for him to die now, he obviously isn't eating or drinking so it's up to his body to wear out.......
His mum was an IC nurse and his sisters a nurse, friends and family are gathering, he's in a comfortable reclining chair and looks like he's sleeping. His sister has put a message book out for visitors to write something in it. One of his friends wrote "You never wanted to get on that horse did you?".

If an animal was injured and had brain damage and was left in a stall to die, the owner would be done for it, fined at least and yet if a human ends up in that condition they are virtually left to starve, even though they might not be aware of it. Their family has to sit it out and wait. So much for humanity!

Yakut

you are so right yakut and my heart goes out to you and your family I was in the same position as them a year ago with my dad when he had a stomach aneurysm and they could do nothing for him it was just terrible they said he would not make it through the night but lasted for 4 days and never want to go through it again, thankfully he was on morphine. it is good that Andrew has his family around him tell them to keep talking to him as I am sure he will know that they are all there for him.

More
11 years 4 months ago #371486 by GloPony
I also went through similar with my grandfather after a terrible stroke. He was kept alive being fed via a stomach tube for over 12 months before some of the family decided not to put the tube back the next time it came out (as it would from time to time). It took him 3 weeks to starve to death, fully conscious yet unable to communicate & they would discuss what was happening in front of him. It was disgusting! :(

I fully agree with you re: animals yakut! I'm very sorry your family is going through this. :(

More
11 years 4 months ago #371616 by GloPony
Thoughts are with you & your family Yakut. I believe Andrew is now at peace.

More
11 years 4 months ago #371617 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Horse riding fatality
Peace for Andrew at last, but huge condolences to your family - a sad and stressful time for you all.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
11 years 4 months ago #371627 by Ghilly
Thanks, I haven't heard from Mum yet but that is probably because no one is up to phoning anyone at the moment. His Aunt told Mum that he looked like he was asleep and looked gorgeous and had lots of friends visiting. I'm glad the suffering is over, for everyone.

Yakut

More
11 years 4 months ago #371731 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Horse riding fatality
OMG Yakut, what a terrible time you are having or should I say have had, surely that's the end of the bad stuff for a while :(

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
11 years 4 months ago #371872 by Ghilly
Shhhhh Murphy is listening.... , you know, that smart aleck of irony and His Law........

Yakut

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds