A question about house building...

More
11 years 3 months ago #26734 by kate
...well not so much the building, the plans. Can anyone give me a rough estimate of the amount of time it takes to prepare plans for submission to council - from having a detailed floor plan to the whole kit and caboodle?

Thanks
Kate

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #370852 by igor
About three times as long as you think when you start. Depends on a lot of things like how fancy the building is, any special details, whether any part requires specific engineering design, etc.

More
11 years 3 months ago #370856 by Andrea1
Ring the NZIA and have a natter with them about your project. They are quite happy to advise. Time budgeting is the key phrase...

More
11 years 3 months ago #370857 by Andrea1
Ring the NZIA and have a natter with them about your project. They are quite happy to advise. 'Time budgeting' is the key phrase...

More
11 years 3 months ago #370870 by Suffolk Brae
Depends who is drawing the plans and how detailed or complicated they are. Most councils require alot more infomation on the plans due to weather tightness issues etc so if it has alot of flashing details or is a more 'architectual' design then the more detail is required. If the architect is using a CAD design system then it may take them 1-2 weeks to produce the drawings but hand-drawn may take longer. And how busy they are!!!!
Remember, the more detail and information you put on the plans when you submit them the less questions will be asked by the person at the council so the consent will come through sooner. :D

More
11 years 3 months ago #370895 by Jen - Featherston
I used to work at A1 homes, and I would happily fill out the council application form but I would never in a million years try to draw my own plans. The amount of detail needed it would cost you more to get a registered engineer to check it all out and it would take forever unless you are a builder who regularly drafts his own plans but even some experienced builders use a drafts person.

If you know anyone who has recently built go and look at their approved plans - The last house I built in town I think the plans were about 12 A3 pages

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
11 years 3 months ago #370900 by KiplingAngel
We're going through Highmark Homes, and they submitted the plans about two weeks ago - we did a lot of preliminary work with them for about 5 months prior to them actually sending them in... in saying that, we are expecting confirmation next week...

More
10 years 11 months ago #384267 by Ammed
Hi guy ,.
Really nice and useful question about house building ans also nice answer,.
keep sharing such a nice questions,.

Ammed

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds