China wants

More
13 years 3 months ago #26630 by rob
China wants was created by rob
The Chinese Embassy has asked the Government to give special compensation to Chinese families who lost children in last month's Christchurch earthquake.

now i have read it all, maybe we should give them the 750k donation back.[:(!]

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #369506 by igor
Replied by igor on topic China wants
Why are they special? What's wrong with giving them the same as everybody else?

More
13 years 3 months ago #369513 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic China wants
What? They should have had travel insurance which pays a million Dollars - is that not enough?

No amount of money can bring their children back so why the emphasis on money?

Igor - yes, they are special, especially if they are the eldest or only son. These are their parent's superannuation providers. Without a son Chinese people don't have anything when they can't work anymore.

More
13 years 3 months ago #369517 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic China wants

Simkin;361096 wrote: ....

Igor - yes, they are special, especially if they are the eldest or only son. These are their parent's superannuation providers. Without a son Chinese people don't have anything when they can't work anymore.

And ACC prevents them from sueing for their loss. The one child policy is a Chinese mandate that is backfiring on them in all sorts of ways. Not NZ's problem - end of story !

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 3 months ago #369537 by Kiwi Sapper
Replied by Kiwi Sapper on topic China wants

rob;361088 wrote: The Chinese Embassy has asked the Government to give special compensation to Chinese families who lost children in last month's Christchurch earthquake.

now i have read it all, maybe we should give them the 750k donation back.[:(!]

Interesting............Where did you read this?
I ask, because I have not come across it.

More
13 years 3 months ago #369541 by NZ Appaloosas
Replied by NZ Appaloosas on topic China wants
The request by the Chinese gov't to NZ gov't for the payment of compensation was on the news tonight. Our gov't (rightly, IMO) said "no".

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
13 years 3 months ago #369545 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic China wants
Some articles are calling it a 'demand' for payment from China, but from what I can see it is a request for consideration - which, I agree with others here, has rightly been turned down.

My understanding from Chinese friends who are in their 20s (one in early 20s, one in late 20s)- and who both have sisters - is that the one child policy, especially in cities, has not been the full story for some time. Families can only have one child if they wish the govt to pay for everything for that child. If they wish to have two, they must pay for that second child themselves...I am not sure about the ins and outs of 'dispensations' for more than one child, but, as I say, they both had sisters so come from two child families :rolleyes:.

PS just googled this (how I love google) and if you have a daughter as the first child you can have a second child. So that explains that!

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 3 months ago #369550 by PalmyCol
Replied by PalmyCol on topic China wants
How much money do you think the Chinese would pay for any Kiwis killed in China. My guess is a big fat squat

More
13 years 3 months ago #369558 by Simkin
Yes, Tigger, that's correct. For the second child the family has to pay school fees and so forth. In rural areas families still have a dozen kids if they want to.

That a family may have 2 children if the first one is a girl is new to me - they must have changed that. I only recently saw a documentary about the plight of young males in China - it is very hard for them to find a wife because too many female fetuses are aborted.

More
13 years 3 months ago #369566 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic China wants
Thankyou Rob, I heard this on the radio but Kevin was twittering away and I decided I must have heard wrong. Seems I didn't.

Whether it's a demand or a request for consideration is immaterial. China's mandate for a one child family, irrespective of how they play it, has been their decision not ours. If the families of these students can pay air fares, education fees and living allowances for their child to come to NZ for an education, it strikes me that they are probably very well heeled. Nor do I pay taxes and donate to the Chch quake fund for it to go to some codger in China who might lose their old-age meal ticket because their govt got it wrong.

Bloody hell, what next:(

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
13 years 3 months ago #369576 by diggs
Replied by diggs on topic China wants
Tell em to get stuffed!

Kapiti

More
13 years 3 months ago #369605 by Simkin
I've just read the article in The Christchurch Press. Yes, the parents are all here in Christchurch and what strikes me is that these severely bereft parents have nothing else to think about than money. They have organised a group and are pleading for monetary compensation. They want their children buried here in Christchurch and want - when the time comes - to be buried beside them. So it isn't the Chinese government who is asking but the parents who have organised themselves into a group.

How much did the Chinese government pay the parents of the children who got killed in that Chinese school that collapsed in an earthquake there a few years ago?

They also are concerned that the insurance policies their children have are 'western style' where the money is paid to spouses or children. In China it's the parents who loose everything if they loose their child.

Another oddity is that of the 22 Chinese students killed 21 were female.

It is Chinese tradition that the woman becomes part of the man's family after she marries so HER parents miss out on their old age insurance anyway.

Now many female Chinese students find a Kiwi husband while studying here (and the Chinese know that) and many Kiwi husbands tolerate the parents-in-law moving into his house (something a Chinese husband in China would never ever tolerate).

With this in mind these people did not only loose their beloved child but also their lotto ticket to a better future and retirement in New Zealand.

(... and before anyone puts me down for writing this - I know first hand what the expectations of the female's parents are.)

More
13 years 3 months ago #369606 by Simkin
I also think that John Key handled the situation very well. He said 'no' and said that this would set at precedent. He also said that the NZ government would repatriate the bodies but the parents don't want that .

More
13 years 3 months ago #369626 by rob
Replied by rob on topic China wants
i found it on the herald website

Rob

More
13 years 3 months ago #369660 by rob
Replied by rob on topic China wants
The Philippines wants extra compensation for its citizens killed in Christchurch if inquiries find the CTV building was not up to scratch. stuff.co.nz

Rob

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds