still fancy nuclear power here

More
13 years 1 month ago #370478 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic still fancy nuclear power here
Probably based in ignorance Farmer. I have been aware of the scheme since 2008 at least and think it is a brilliant idea. What our lazy journalists have not clarified is that the "O.K" is for three turbines with a two year enviromental monitoring regime before any more can be added and even then, only in stages i.e. up to 17 them up to 20 - 40 etc so I am figuring that 200 tubines are well off the grid at this stage. However, if they can produce enough power to cover from North Shore to Cape Reinga and it is shown that the turbines are not decimating snapper stocks and slicing up Maui Dolphins then great.

I do wonder what my Grandfather would say, having started the first major fishing/factory business on the Kaipara Harbour back in the early 1900's, but as an immigrant at 16 years old who worked the gum fields, set up a number of businesses to employ other immigrants, I think as a forward thinker of his time he would be supporting this idea - but not if it caused mass exodus of fishing stock! I would not want to cross him - he was like the damn Mafia!

Let's just hope that we have a Government in place in two years (post enviromental impact report) that is interested in the will of the people unlike the current debacle with the Marine and Coastal Bill.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #370484 by Hawkspur
At least one of the reasons the turbines are being opposed is not ignorance. It is a very real fear that to install turbines in one of the few areas the remaining Maui dolphin inhabit will tip the tiny population (estimated at 111) over the brink to extinction, because the effects on them are unknown. The proposal is to "see what happens" and with such a tiny population, if anything negative results, they will not recover.

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #370726 by Hasbeen
This is the part that worries me.
Where do you put it all?
Can you be sure it will never spew out after some act of nature or man?

The US has 65,192 tonnes of the waste, according to state-by-state numbers obtained by The Associated Press. But the nation has no place to permanently store the material, which stays dangerous for tens of thousands of years.

More here www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/4799996/S...age-sites-are-packed

Recovering Lifestyler

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #370781 by Suffolk Brae
The quote dosen't say over what period of time the waste accumulated? Would we generate that much waste from the possible 1-2 plants the country would need?:confused: I think they send it to Europe where it is re-enriched or disposed of safely.

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #370783 by arnie.m

arnie.m;361098 wrote: For the techies on this site perhaps with a little more research THORIUM may be the answer to some of the energy requirements, even the so called "Greenies" may be able to accept this given that no energy production to give enough power to the world is completely safe.

energyfromthorium.com/lftradsrisks.html

No techies on this site, could be OK for NZ.

As far as sea turbines affecting Dolphins, I would think no way, Dolphins have a brilliant navigation system and would stay clear of the turbines easily. I just don't think these would produce enough power to keep up. I don't know if we can really complain too much unless we cut out power usage to almost zero. Any one willing to do this? Perhaps one or two could afford it.

Talking about self sufficiency in power where is Grant these days?

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #370794 by igor
Replied by igor on topic still fancy nuclear power here
We keep coming back to the same issue. All the urban greenies expect their electric machines to work whenever they are required but they bitch and moan about power stations, transmission lines, and any other sort of infrastructure development. When are they going to learn that they can't have it both ways?

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #370845 by rob
Replied by rob on topic still fancy nuclear power here
dont the the French send their waste to Russia?

Rob

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #370868 by Hasbeen

igor;362736 wrote: We keep coming back to the same issue. All the urban greenies expect their electric machines to work whenever they are required but they bitch and moan about power stations, transmission lines, and any other sort of infrastructure development. When are they going to learn that they can't have it both ways?

No I bitch & moan about being hooked in to the B******s when i could use all the crap, hot-air, wind & solar round here to grow my own. :p
We spent years off grid having to pay line charges because the bloody stuff went past the gate. As I said B******s.

Recovering Lifestyler

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #370917 by igor
How's that work Hasbeen? Having to pay for something you were not connected to sounds like BS to me. How did they expect to enforce it?

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #370924 by Hasbeen
It was in the Sounds in the 70s & you just got a bill each month.

Recovering Lifestyler

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #370926 by igor
What were they going to do if you didn't pay? Disconnect you?

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #371030 by bsadler
an interesting commentary by a green: www.monbiot.com/2011/03/21/going-critical/

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #371032 by Organix

bsadler;363039 wrote: an interesting commentary by a green: www.monbiot.com/2011/03/21/going-critical/

I can see the reasoning of some of the points he makes but strictly in the context of his being located in the densely populated UK/Europe region. The energy demands of that area are far beyond what can be generated by sustainable methods and the output overages of nuclear plants can be exported to neighbouring countries which further suits the realities of consumption demands over a large (UK/W.Europe) heavily populated area such as he lives in.

That such comments come from a Green politician indicates the compromises that must be considered in balancing green ideals with the realities of survival in a heavily populated and industrialised country. No wonder then that we in NZ have the immigration pressures from such regions that we do.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #371053 by bsadler
George Monbiot is not a politician but is the author of the best selling books Heat: how to stop the planet burning; The Age of Consent: a manifesto for a new world order and Captive State: the corporate takeover of Britain; as well as the investigative travel books Poisoned Arrows, Amazon Watershed and No Man’s Land.

He writes a weekly column for the Guardian newspaper (probably the most left-wing paper in the UK and a favourite of the chattering classes)

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #371070 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic still fancy nuclear power here
bsadler - who cares - he is right. I could not sleep last night and ended up watching a debate on TV1 at 3am in the morning and it was pointed out that nuclear power is less harmful (CO2 being one example) to the world than using fossil fuels to power up the grid.

I also noted in the article that he made the point that the Greens (UK in this scenario) want everyone to back off grid power consumption (in simple words) - reminds me of Jeanette Fitzsimons who lived in the woop woops (like most of us) and had to use her green car (yeah right - how much does it cost to replace the batteries in those cars) to drive to wherever she had to go while espousing the attributes of cycling and public transport. Jeez!

I know some members of this site are staunch Green supporters so will leave it at that.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds