how to copy from DVD??

More
14 years 5 months ago #2661 by rob
how to copy from DVD?? was created by rob
i have a Queen live in concert DVD[8D] i want to copy to cd for the car, is there any way i can just copy the music only??

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #75552 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic how to copy from DVD??
One possible way would be to hook up the analogue outputs from your DVD player to the Line Inputs of your Sound Card and then use Windows Sound Recorder to capture the audio. After that, you would need to convert it from Sound Recorder format (which I think is WAV) onto a CD-R in Audio CD format. Windows Media Player could do that last bit I believe, but I've never tried it.

Others may have further suggestions???

More
14 years 5 months ago #75632 by ame
Replied by ame on topic how to copy from DVD??
Hmm. How can there be further suggestions if you have already described the only way? :)

Actually, there's a bunch of ways. It easiest with Linux, but you can do it with Windows if you have to:

http://lifehacker.com/software/call-for-help/call-for-help-concert-dvd-to-mp3-154044.php

The thing to remember is- if your CD player in the car does not play MP3, then you need to get the raw audio in WAV format. It's not too difficult, and most of the suggestions (convert to MP3) extract a WAV file as part of the process, so you just skip the last step of converting the WAV to MP3. An audio CD is simply a bunch of WAV files in a list.

Oh, and the other thing to remember is this is not legal in NZ.

A

More
14 years 5 months ago #75658 by GrantK

quote:Originally posted by ame

Hmm. How can there be further suggestions if you have already described the only way? :)

Oops, well spotted Ame. I meant to edit that bit afterwards but anyway I've done it now [:I]

More
14 years 5 months ago #75680 by rob
Replied by rob on topic how to copy from DVD??
the thing is, my computer is at one end of the house and the dvd is at the other.
is it possible to just extract the music from the legally bought, i own 100% dvd.
i tried it through windows media player with not any luck at all and my cd player does play mp3 music as i have already converted music to mp3, this saves me using my original one so it would not get damaged

thanks for the help so far

Rob

More
14 years 5 months ago #75691 by GrantK
The page that Ame posted the link to above has many suggestions about ways to rip the music directly from the DVD.

Personally, I have never tried to do this, so I can't recommend any particular way as being any better or worse than the others.

Give it a go, and post the results back here. I would be interested to hear how you get on :)

More
14 years 5 months ago #75712 by ame
Replied by ame on topic how to copy from DVD??

quote:Originally posted by rob

the thing is, my computer is at one end of the house and the dvd is at the other.

But your computer has a DVD drive in it, right?

There are essentially two ways to achieve this:

1) Play the DVD and record the audio. Much like recording a cassette tape, except that you are recording digitally on the computer.
Can be done with the DVD at the other end of the house if you have a looooooong audio cable. Can also be done if you have a DVD drive in the computer by connecting audio out to audio in with a cable, or electronically by using software to route the audio from the player software to the recorder software.

2) The audio and video on the DVD are just chunks of data. You can use software to read the data for the audio and convert that to a WAV file or an MP3 file.
You can't do this if you don't have a DVD drive in the computer.

quote:is it possible to just extract the music from the legally bought, i own 100% dvd.

Yes, and those links at LifeHacker will probably show you something that will work for you, or give you some ideas about what to Google for.

Oh, and it is true that you own the DVD (the bit of plastic) but you do not own the right to copy the content. People do it all the time, but it's illegal. Write to your MP to change the law to allow it- seriously.

A

Time to create page: 0.252 seconds