Battery charging question for knowledgeable

More
11 years 3 months ago #26604 by witheze
I have been given a new battery charger for my camera and remote batteries. And it says for Nickel-cadmium batteries. My batteries are NiMH batteries.....are they compatible?, don't want to ruin my batteries.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #369260 by busholme
It should be.....
Nickel-Cadmium NiCd
Nickel-Metal Hydride NiMH
are high energy batteries.

My energiser recharger says it charges NiMH or NiCd but where as the NiMH can be put on for the full 15 hours automatic charge the NiCd need to be taken out of the charger after 5-6 hours. This is in reference to the AA and AAA batteries

Hope this helps

30 - 50 Sheep, 6 chooks, 2 dogs, 1 cat and a wife - who wants highland cows, donkeys, ducks, alpacas etc [:D]

More
11 years 3 months ago #369303 by kaybe
witheze I asked my OH the elec. engineer and he says yes you can safely use it to charge NiMH batteries, but as busholme indicates, the NiMHs will take longer to reach full charge as they can hold more energy.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
11 years 3 months ago #369335 by wyseyes
To be safe, do not charge NiMH batts in a NiCad charger, or vice versa.
Oh they will charge the same, but the charger may not stop charging at the right time.
The charger watches for changes in voltage and current levels in the charging batteries, looking for a little spikes, dips and plateaus in the charging cycle. These give the charger info as to how charged the batteries are, and so it can stop or trickle charge when it knows the batteries are full.
NiCad batteries do not respond with the same spikes, dips and plateaus as NiMH, so the charger doesn't know when the batts are full, and keeps charging. This exposes the batteries to a risk of overcharging, overheating, breakdown of the battery content, and possible explosion.
It would be safer to get a charger which is specially for NiMH, or even better one that can do both with a changeover switch.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
11 years 3 months ago #369349 by witheze
Thanks folks ,I'll buy batteries for the new charger and a new charger for the old batteries :rolleyes: When I opened the box the charger said not to use other batteries. The moral of the story.is dont ask for a battery charger for a birthday present......its not that simple. I'd already changed it once because I wanted a four charger and the one my daughter bought was for two, didn't notice it was for different batteries....so Mitre 10 changed it and it's still wrong....:)

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds