Growling cat

More
11 years 3 months ago #26603 by Rod Brown
Growling cat was created by Rod Brown
Our old (13) cat which we have only had for 2-3 months periodically goes into our spare bedroom or office, seems to look into space and growls that horrible blood thirsty noise that cats make when another cat is intruding or something like that! :confused:

Why would she do that for what seems to us as no apparent reason. For those who maybe thinking outside the square we have a new house and no one has died here!!!

Thanks you feline advisors.

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #369247 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Growling cat
Is it possible another cat has sprayed in the house while it was being built? Our girl cats H A T E other cats around, and do that scary growl when another cat has been and marked on their territory. You may not be able to detect a smell, but your cat may be able to.

More
11 years 3 months ago #369251 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Growling cat
If it is only happening in that place it does sound like another cat has been there.
Or, like a cat we had, it could be growling when in pain. He had back problems and would suddenly growl and sometimes lash out.

More
11 years 3 months ago #369255 by powerguy
Replied by powerguy on topic Growling cat
Ghosts.

Renewable power systems - hydro, wind and solar.
Grid tie and off grid (stand alone)
www.poweron.kiwi.nz

More
11 years 3 months ago #369259 by Rod Brown
Replied by Rod Brown on topic Growling cat
We built our place about 6 years ago and no other cat has ever sprayed in here. We did have another cat months before who passed on. It may be periodic pain as very occasionally she does lash out, I thought it just may have been her cattitude.

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

More
11 years 3 months ago #369262 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Growling cat
I firmly believe in the "paranormal" here. I have "seen" a white cat at the top of our stairs and I asked the previous owner if they had ever had a cat. She volunteered that it was a white one and that it loved to sleep at the top of the stairs. My cats always skirt past that spot, infact one of them always hops up on the skirting heater and creeps along it. It is barely 3 inches wide. When he reaches the end of the heater, he makes a great leap through our bedroom door. The other cat stares down the hallway with her little head bobbing like one of those parcel shelf cats in the back of a car (or a Meerkat) . I know my cats also see cat ghosts, as I do.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 3 months ago #369267 by LMCL65
Replied by LMCL65 on topic Growling cat
My old boy who is now 16 makes that awful noise, however he has now gone deaf and I think a little senile, and I think he makes that noise when he becomes momentarily lost and feels a little afraid, he sometimes stops on his own or I will turn on the light for him or go and find him. Also noticing it is now his sign to go outside, whereas he used to go out himself I now take him.

Laurette, mother to Eamon (16), Sebastian and Cheve (angel cats) Henry and Bellatrix cats, Sadie and Billy Bob(dogs) Rocky, Lola and Hersephone (rainbow goat) (Goats), Sparrow and Esme (cows), 6 chickens , 6 Khaki campbell ducks, tadpoles and goldfish.

More
11 years 3 months ago #369299 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Growling cat
Could there be something in the walls or ceiling there, like rats or a possum, which he can smell/hear?

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
11 years 3 months ago #369450 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic Growling cat
Good story, Stikkibeek!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
11 years 3 months ago #369475 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Growling cat
With absoloutely no disrespect to you Rod and the home you have enabled for this 13 year old cat, is it possible that she is actually grieving for her previous owner(s).

You know how many people withdraw to a private space when they are really upset, maybe there is a colour or something in that room that is familiar and reminds her of her previous life and what you interpret as a growl is actually grief?

Totally out of left field I know and does not mean that she is not happy with you - just maybe a trigger sending her off. Perhaps a Vet check would also be in order. Thirteen is a good age for a cat and the onset of senility is another possibility. Hope not!

More
11 years 3 months ago #369559 by Rod Brown
Replied by Rod Brown on topic Growling cat
Thank you for your thoughts DiDi, this is of course quite possible but I don't think it is the case here! She was with the first owners from birth to 12 1/2 years and they had babies which the cat decided she didn't like so they reluctantly put her in a cat protection place where she was for 3 months (I understand she didn't like it there with all of the other cats) until we adopted her.

I sure she loves it here with no other cats or dogs for over 100 metres, there is so much for her to explore (which she does) and she will nestle onto my wifes knee and sleeps on our bed.

More
11 years 3 months ago #369570 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Growling cat
Good on you for giving an old cat a home for starters Rod[^][^][^] that is so awesome[^] ...she sounds very happy despite her wee ....habit !!!
I have a silly (much loved) one eyed cat who is eight years old never had kittens and every now and then she will pick up a piece of meat ...wander down to our bedroom and make this horrible noise that a mother cat makes when she calls her kittens for dinner ..or to see what ever she has caught...she does eventually eat the meat herself:rolleyes:
There is no reason or rhythm to this occurrence ..it is just something Tickle My does every now and then:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Maybe this noise is just something your old girl does ...because she can[;)] I wouldn't worry too much so long as any underlying illness has been ruled out :D
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
11 years 3 months ago #371023 by Country Girl
Replied by Country Girl on topic Growling cat
I had a cat that growled intermittently (every month or so) but not just in one room. He would also lash out sometimes when on the couch and growl. Unfortunately we found out this was from pain as he had a large tumour in his lung. I wouldn't rule out pain.

A pessimist is never disappointed

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds