And now it's Japan's turn

More
11 years 3 months ago #26597 by Stikkibeek
Just over an hour ago a huge earthquake hit One of the islands near Japan. Upgraded to 8.9, there is already Tsunami damage and our Civil defence are on standby in case of an alert.
It's it always the way, that when one big earthquake happens somewhere in the world, another big one follows. I guess it's a re adjustment of earth's crust.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #369219 by BlueSkyBee
Crazy stuff. Interesting point about earthquakes following each other....

More
11 years 3 months ago #369221 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic And now it's Japan's turn
That's it...... stop the world, I want to get off.

Heck, Japan is so intensely populated. :(

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
11 years 3 months ago #369227 by Farmer53
Replied by Farmer53 on topic And now it's Japan's turn
watching those waves on tv is way scary, sweeping eveything in its way.

More
11 years 3 months ago #369230 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic And now it's Japan's turn
That event dwarfs the Christchurch quake.

More
11 years 3 months ago #369231 by highgirl
Replied by highgirl on topic And now it's Japan's turn
yes, its scary stuff, I've already heard from a friend in Japan and she's ok thank goodness.

I'm with you spoook though, I want to get off now too...the ride is getting bumpy and scary

More
11 years 3 months ago #369232 by Valmai
Replied by Valmai on topic And now it's Japan's turn
It just never stops! September was bad but we were all grateful that noone died. Then the floods in Qld and I thought our quake wasnt the worst thing that could happen. That horrible day in ChCh I thought was the worst that could happen. Now this, I am blubbering.

Carbon-based biological unit.

More
11 years 3 months ago #369233 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic And now it's Japan's turn
We're expecting a planeload of Japanese students to arrive tomorrow on an exchange program in the Waikato. It's a 14 hour flight so it's touch and go whether they would have been off the ground. If they were there's going to be a lot of worried students arriving in AKL tomorrow... :-(

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
11 years 3 months ago #369234 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic And now it's Japan's turn

kaybe;360785 wrote: We're expecting a planeload of Japanese students to arrive tomorrow on an exchange program in the Waikato. It's a 14 hour flight so it's touch and go whether they would have been off the ground. If they were there's going to be a lot of worried students arriving in AKL tomorrow... :-(

If they left before the quake they may not know - unless the pilot told them.

More
11 years 3 months ago #369237 by Stikkibeek
The power of that tsunami is awesome, and I mean this in the true sense of the word. Those ships that were on their sides in the city street were huge vessels, and all those cars floating away. Have to worry that people may have been trapped inside. There was a shot of water surging over crop land. The rubbish floating with it was astounding. I hope we offer some help. They were quick to help us.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 3 months ago #369239 by kaybe

Simkin;360786 wrote: If they left before the quake they may not know - unless the pilot told them.

The Air NZ website says the flight is due as scheduled. The student due to stay with us comes from Chiba province, where apparently one of the oil refineries is burning out of control, but I think her home is about 10km from the refinery judging by what I can see on Google Maps.

I think the next few days will be pretty intense. :(

More
11 years 3 months ago #369248 by BlueSkyBee
It all just looks so awful. How terrifying for all those people (and animals!) :(

More
11 years 3 months ago #369253 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic And now it's Japan's turn

kaybe;360792 wrote: The Air NZ website says the flight is due as scheduled. The student due to stay with us comes from Chiba province, where apparently one of the oil refineries is burning out of control, but I think her home is about 10km from the refinery judging by what I can see on Google Maps.

I think the next few days will be pretty intense. :(

Oh no, didn't put two and two together on this one, kaybe...good luck with this. Poor kids will be distraught and the language barrier won't help to find out what is going on with her family...I know a Japanese teacher in Cambridge who might be able to help if your student wants someone to talk to in her first language...let me know...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
11 years 3 months ago #369306 by kaybe
Thanks tigger, it turns out the flight had not left, and it appears their arrival will be delayed by 2 days, so at the moment the plan is for them to arrive on Monday instead. I still think given the aftershocks they are experiencing that may be overly optimistic.

Time to create page: 0.270 seconds