Frozen Bread - How to Keep it Fresh?

More
11 years 3 months ago #26581 by Toast
I always freeze my bread because I live a long way from town. Usually I toast my bread, even for my lunchtime sandwich. However, if I want to take sandwiches for a plate or to share with somebody else, the bread is always slightly stale.

I notice that the bread is very slow to freeze.

Any tips, anybody?

Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #368988 by Ronney
I too freeze bread as I only shop on a weekly basis but it doesn't have a long freezer life in terms of "fresh" bread - probably no more than a couple of weeks.

Most people just dump their bread on top of the freezer space because that is the area they can lay it flatish and not end up with a heap of misshapen bread - consequently it takes that much longer to freeze. I take a little time and make a hole amongst all the frozen stuff and put the bread in it.

Apart from that I don't really think there is a lot that can be done to extend the good life of bread in a freezer - other than eat lots of toast :)

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
11 years 3 months ago #369004 by Hawkspur
When defrosting the bread, make sure it is covered so that it does not lose too much moisture then.

More
11 years 3 months ago #369007 by Xartep
Only defrost what you are going to use each day and make the sandwiches with partially defrosted bread immediately prior to serving, bread doesn't take long to defrost.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
11 years 3 months ago #369012 by stephclark
a quick blip in the microwave freshens up bread.. esp loaves and rolls.. if realy stale, a sprinkle of water prior will bring it back..

More
11 years 3 months ago #369036 by Stikkibeek
I make my lunch every day from frozen bread. Wrapping it in gladwrap, makes it stay nice and fresh as it thaws out. Also keeps my fruit cool for a good while. Bread though, will not last too long in the freezer without getting freezer burn, so don't keep it too long. If you double bag it and suck all the air out of the outer bag, that too will help

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 3 months ago #369366 by NZ Appaloosas
I used to do that for my kids when we lived in Florida. My son's first school didn't have a fridge for the kids to use, and as he liked meat sandwiches, the frozen bread kept the heat from getting to the meat and turning it. I found using the multi-grains worked better than using white bread.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
11 years 3 months ago #369396 by witheze
TipTop comes out of the freezer really nice and stays that way for a couple of days.

More
11 years 3 months ago #369404 by NZ Appaloosas
Don't think we had TipTop in Florida 10 years ago ;-)

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
11 years 3 months ago #369441 by kimberj06
I find if I don't slice my bread before I freeze it and get it to the freezer as soon as it is cold it seems to be still quite fresh when defrosted. Not as good as the fresh loaves but certainly still good enough for the lunch boxes. I still make at least one loaf every day but it is good to have a couple of frozen back ups in case the kids have a growth spurt and start eating everything in sight!

Hoping to get out of the city while I am still young enough to make the land productive.

More
11 years 3 months ago #369496 by cowvet

witheze;360968 wrote: TipTop comes out of the freezer really nice and stays that way for a couple of days.

doesn't that make you wonder what they put in it?

I love animals...they're delicious

More
11 years 3 months ago #369520 by max2
As an aside, I bought those slim small plastic ice block coloured cubes one of which fits inside a padded lunch pack very nicely and keeps the lunchbox and contents cool for most of the day, regardless of where the school bag ends up....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

More
11 years 3 months ago #369538 by NZ Appaloosas
I never got those back, for some reason, when I sent them in the lunch box. :-/ Much cheaper, in the long run, to freeze the bread.

Diane

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds