An OMG moment

More
13 years 2 months ago #26574 by kaybe
An OMG moment was created by kaybe
OK, so I have been living in this place for 4 and a half years now, and this morning when I looked out of my kitchen window and I saw my geese grazing in the distant paddocks of the dairy farm next door [:I], I got out my binoculars to check on them and noticed what I had failed to see all this time - that there is a wind farm on the ridges to the south west of us [:0]!! How could I have missed all those whacking great turbines spinning away? :rolleyes: Once I knew they were there I could even see them with the naked eye. I didn't know there were any wind farms in the Waikato!

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #368889 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic An OMG moment
OK so I'm not completely blind it turns out - Te Uku wind farm near Raglan and Pirongia (I went Googling) was approved in 2008, commenced construction in 2010, and opened in Feb 2011.... and yet I read the local papers regularly and this is the first I've heard of it!! [:0][:0]

This country just amazes me sometimes... :rolleyes:

More
13 years 2 months ago #368893 by BlueSkyBee
Replied by BlueSkyBee on topic An OMG moment
Oh that is funny!! So do they intrude into your enjoyment of the landscape at all? Sometimes that is used as a reason against them, the big turbines are pretty full on. I think they are pretty amazing looking myself, obviously you wouldn't want them on every ridge though... :)

To dig in one’s own earth, with one’s own spade, does life hold anything better? –Beverly Nichols

More
13 years 2 months ago #368902 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic An OMG moment
Crikey, kaybe, it's been all over the newspapers! [}:)] How did you miss that one?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 2 months ago #368919 by kaybe
Ah tigger, well I must admit I don't read 'real' newspapers (ie. the kind you pay for [;)]) only the free local ones and the NZ Herald online - and in any case I'd have had no clue where Te Uku is and that it's visible from my kitchen window! :D

BlueSkyBee, no they don't bother me at all - I really have to squint to see them. I agree I find the sight of a windfarm quite impressive. I have a friend in Canada who tells me they are an environmental disaster not boon as the energy people would have us believe. I can't remember her explanation why but it made sense at the time [:I]. I'll have to see if I can find it!

More
13 years 2 months ago #368976 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic An OMG moment
blogs.forbes.com/larrybell/2011/03/08/wi...overblown-prospects/ This one perhaps or is a climate sceptic too hard to read?

More
13 years 2 months ago #368984 by kaybe
Didi, that does sound familiar. I searched back thru Facebook and found her original posts to me:
"Kay, we have a surplus of clean, C02 - free hydro electric power from our dams. We don't use what we have.
FYI, never has a coal plant been shut b/c of wind energy. They require 90% base load back up from traditional power sources on line at all times, to fill the gaps on the grid when the wind doesn't blow. Germany & Denmark report that despite all their turbines, CO2 emissions haven't been reduced by even a single gram, in fact Danish Carbon emissions increased by 36% in '06 alone b/c of the wind energy's increase in demand for coal...also Germany's gas consumption has more than doubled btwn 1990 - '07, as it is used to cover winds' inconsistencies. Danish parliament has called their wind industry a "terribly expensive disaster" and won't put any more on their soil. Also they are so big traditional power must keep the blades turning at all times to prevent the bearings from compressing. A great marketing plan makes everyone believe its "green". Also Kay, you might be interested in what is happening to wildlife and worse, livestock, who can't escape the Low frequency vibration, noise and shadow flicker...We had a woman come up to our city to speak with our council. she was the 6th family who was bought out by the wind developer, and forced to sign a non-disclosure agreement. the vibration inside their home and the noise forced them to abandon her home, near a wind farm."

More
13 years 2 months ago #368987 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic An OMG moment
That article assumes that the wind turbines are primarily coupled with fossil fuel burning generators, whereas in New Zealand the main generation source is hydroelectricity. (57% in 2009) Hydroelectric and wind are ideal generation partners. The wind can be used as a source when it is available, allowing the water to be retained for later need, and the water used when conditions do not suit wind generation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #369018 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic An OMG moment
I saw an ocean of wind turbines near Palm Springs, far as the eye could see. Some were turning, some were not. I was taking a photo of them all when the horizon started looking all brown. Within about 20 seconds, maybe less, I was back in the car and we were driving away... it was a sand storm and MAN did that sand blow, it was like a wall of wind and sand.

I would have thought a huge air movement like that would have had all those turbines spinning but no.

I dunno, technology... phttt! A carbide (bine?) lamp on a bike... you know the ones with the little bottle shaped dynamo thing that you flicked onto the front wheel of your bike so your headlamp worked.... and gave you a work out all at the same time.... the only energy making it go, basically, was you pushing the pedals around..... so I just don't get this having to use electricity thing to make the wind farms work...

Maybe I'm a repressed Luddite?..... ok, ...... in a former life..... just to save any arguments on the usefulness of dishwashers and pop up toasters.

[;)]

Yakut

More
13 years 2 months ago #369090 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic An OMG moment
Funny isn't it that many many many years ago when at College, I was considered exceptional in Art and Art History and you know what - I think Wind Turbines are the ugliest blot on the landscape EVER!

Don't give a damn what they do or don't do - they are a NASTY intrusion on the beauty of nature and should be ripped down and sold to scrap metal merchants tomorrow. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to travel the world and look at history.

Speaking if which - what happened to the 70M high pylons that were meant to be going through Hobbitsville? Has that been delayed, rerouted, what, to enable us as taxpayers to support Peter Jackson making another film? Needless to say, I am not a fan and do not follow whether it has been shifted but interested to know what is happening to the original filming site - and the nasty blot on the landscape pylons.

More
13 years 2 months ago #369091 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic An OMG moment
I get a clear view of the stunning majestic turbines from my place, I think they are wonderful. They are only a few km away. Just fabulous.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
13 years 2 months ago #369094 by kate
Replied by kate on topic An OMG moment
I must admit I like the look of wind turbines...there some near my in-laws place in Scotland and they're very sculptural. On the other hand, I'm not convinced that they add much to the grid supply.

Web Goddess

More
13 years 2 months ago #369368 by NZ Appaloosas
Replied by NZ Appaloosas on topic An OMG moment
They do, however, show up on doppler radar, play havoc with satellite feeds, etc. Friend of mine used to live near one in NY, and she'd send me the links on quiet/breezeless times, and you could see the turbulence from the windfarm.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
13 years 2 months ago #369372 by shad297
Replied by shad297 on topic An OMG moment
We have lots just outside Palmerston North and I think they look beautiful on the distant hills. Don't know what it would be like to live, like really close to them though, so I admire them from a distance.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds