Mexican daisy

More
16 years 5 months ago #75655 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Mexican daisy
Yeah...c'mon BB it's illegal! Actually, I just looked it up and I have some too [:I] I didn't plant it though, it was here when we moved in and it's in a little bed against the house and surrounded by concrete so it hasn't gone anywhere.

Tigger, you have my full sympathy. But I'm still not chopping down my contoneaster yet....sorry

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #75659 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Mexican daisy
There is no problem having them in your garden (though of course it would be better if they were eventually replaced with something non-weedy :D and mainly cos there is absolutely no way to enforce that sort of thing) but the big no-no is deliberately spreading them around.

...and that includes 'accidentally' cutting off a piece that 'accidentally' falls from your carrybag onto a friend's table so she thinks 'oooh, what a lovely plant, I must grow it' [}:)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
16 years 5 months ago #75662 by Birman Babe
Replied by Birman Babe on topic Mexican daisy
Well I have given chunks of this daisy to heaps of people in the last 7 years so I guess its a little late now, how was I to know it was a *weed*....sorry, but it was here when we came & I dont find it hard to keep under control at all.

More
16 years 5 months ago #75673 by Hestia
Replied by Hestia on topic Mexican daisy
Is it really the mexican we have since it doesn't spread like wildfire???
Mine was totally under control and just were I planted it.

Something that has to be on that list is nestertia (sp?)

I used to have it in hanging baskets while in europe and they never spread.They just spread allover the basket and were really decorative.

Then I saw them for sale here in packages of seed and bought one bag.
Hubbie asked if I was sure that I wanted them since they spread,,I could never dream of what he meant by spread!
They grew e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e and it took forever to get rid of it but it is now finally gone!
they popped up 3 years after we planted one lousy bag!

More
16 years 5 months ago #75676 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Mexican daisy
nasturtiums maybe? They certainly arrive, are hard to kill and are rampant.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
16 years 5 months ago #75677 by Hestia
nasturtium,,yap those are the ones!
I will never buy a bag of those again while still living in this climate!
Beautiful colors but not fun when they popped up everywhere.

images.google.co.nz/images?hl=en&q=nastu...ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

More
16 years 5 months ago #75695 by gemini kiwi
Replied by gemini kiwi on topic Mexican daisy
They are good for helping to deter whiteflies if your into companion planting though.

More
16 years 5 months ago #75705 by jen
Replied by jen on topic Mexican daisy
It depends on where you live how weedy those bad species are. But then alot of the problems plants risk going out of control in areas where nobody is looking (spread by birds into forests and such) For example agapanthus is a real pest up north... but I dont' think it has anywhere near the same weed potential in canterbury (I could be wrong!).

But its always good to try to find an unweedy option when you can. There might be lots of similar plants that will be good for your area :)

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

More
16 years 5 months ago #75709 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Mexican daisy
tigger is there not one for here?

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
16 years 5 months ago #75713 by Hestia
~~~~~~every time something grows,,then people do not want it~~~~
~~~~ if it doesn't grow then people do their best to make it grow~~

More
16 years 5 months ago #75759 by Jan
Replied by Jan on topic Mexican daisy
Wow i didn't know all this neither, Folks garden always had these ...

But take a look at this link, especially at the bottom...

www.ebop.govt.nz/weeds/Weed299.asp

Jan

More
16 years 5 months ago #75766 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Mexican daisy
Eh? Up here in Auckland, this is called Remuera Daisy. Can't imagine why, but it spreads like wildfire and is a pain to get rid of. I have always been organic and hand weeded but I am over Auckland, it's humidity, it's bugs and the physical work involved in trying to contain anything. Hell my walnut tree has just sent up heaps of babies. I have baby Totora trees everywhere, baby any native trees everywhere and I am fed up with feeling guilty for killing them with a yank out of the ground. " NO this is not where you are going to grow and sorry mate but there are another 100 of you so tough luck!"

My property is like a great propogation tent and anything from peach nuts, walnuts, avacados thrown over the bank produces fruiting plants. Needless to say - agapanthus are like triffids, English ivy that the ex Englishman planted is beyond triffid and I am left screaming (silently I might add) G*d give me strength to destroy your good work that is slowly but surely killing me!"

I would not give "Remuera Daisy" to my worst enemy! However, if I lived down country where the Winters are so cold that it would kill the bugs, pests and new seedlings, it may not be such a problem. Sorry for the tirade but I am OVER IT!

PS Suzanne - after 19 years of trying to eradicate it I still have it in patches. Clue?

More
16 years 5 months ago #75788 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Mexican daisy
It is a problem even down Taranaki way where they get hard frosts [:0] heck, even Gunnera is thriving down there (actually, that's where its the worst) despite the cold temps :(

Check out www.weedbusters.org.nz for a basic explanation of why there is concern about these ornamentals that have gone wild, and also about 110 of them online with control methods and photos...:D

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
16 years 5 months ago #75835 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Mexican daisy
tigger dont we have anything here ,no booklet ,no weedbusters site ;(

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds