Earthquake fault line near Auckland

More
13 years 3 months ago #26541 by Kiwi Sapper
I have been feeling rather smug and safe when the matter of earthquakes is raised nowadays, (however much it may seem that they are continuously the topic with other matters being raised) as living on the fringes of Jafasville, I believed the nearest fault line was hundreds of kilometres off to the right and were I to be asked, "did you feel the earth move?", I would have expected to be in a quite different situation.[;)]

However, Saturday's NZ Herald (Page A6) contained a statement that the nearest fault line is "........30 to 60 km away from the CBD............"

In the usual infuriating fashion of current day inadequate reporting, no mention is made as to which direction from the CBD........North, South, East, West, or even down!:confused:

Does anybody know?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #368554 by busholme

30 - 50 Sheep, 6 chooks, 2 dogs, 1 cat and a wife - who wants highland cows, donkeys, ducks, alpacas etc [:D]

More
13 years 3 months ago #368556 by Stikkibeek
If that purple line in the Hunua ranges area should ever reactivate, it would have implications for Auckland's water supply

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
13 years 3 months ago #368559 by powerguy
Well, they need to update that map around Chch!

As for Auckland, the Waikato River follows a fault past Pukekohe and out to sea. Auck has numerous volcanic cones. Volcanoes appear at weak spots in the earth's crust, frequently along faults.

Renewable power systems - hydro, wind and solar.
Grid tie and off grid (stand alone)
www.poweron.kiwi.nz

More
13 years 3 months ago #368561 by Gracelands
Yep, there are heaps of faults around Auckland, I hadn't realised that the Hunua fault is still active though. I lived near it for most of my childhood, and have never felt a quake.

Oh, more than 2,000 years since activated. That'll be why, then. [:I] I'm not quite that old, even if I feel it sometimes.

That's a fascinating map, Busholme.

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

More
13 years 3 months ago #368564 by Huggiechook
You can also look at these 2:

images.geonet.org.nz/maps/quakes/262-auckland-quake.jpg

and

images.geonet.org.nz/maps/quakes/262-auckland-deep.jpg

not much happening recently there but enough to know that the fault is there

Quarter Acre with Veggie Garden, Fruit trees, Berry bushes, Chicken run, Mushroom farm, Playground - and yes I manage to live there too [;)]

More
13 years 3 months ago #368568 by Kiwi Sapper
What Ho Gang,

Many thanks for those pointers................

Smug feeling starting to return as faults all are well and truly to the south of Jafasville and we are 30 Km north.

Oh, and as for water, we collect our own, so as long as no ash fall out, should be OK for some months.

More
13 years 3 months ago #368570 by Huggiechook
not so sure about smug feelings here - it should be remembered that earthquakes are but one of the options mother nature has in store to keep us humans occupied. In fact as far as demolishing houses and infrastructure goes many of the other ones are in fact much more common!!

Quarter Acre with Veggie Garden, Fruit trees, Berry bushes, Chicken run, Mushroom farm, Playground - and yes I manage to live there too [;)]

More
13 years 3 months ago #368606 by DiDi
I have lived on the edge of a Volcanic fault for over 22 years and have never even thought about it nor the potential for anything to happen. With the amount of volcanic rock on the surface of my (now sold) property, you would be a tweeb not to recognise that there had been a volcano at some stage.

Mind I also lived in Palmerston North for 6 years and became immune to the rumbles there so with nothing in Auckland, why worry about it?

More
13 years 3 months ago #368627 by Simkin

DiDi;360097 wrote: with nothing in Auckland, why worry about it?

Exactly. Nobody even suspected the fault lines near Christchurch, they haven't moved for thousands of years. It's just bad luck that it happened during our lifetime.

If something should ever happen in Auckland it will probably be a volcano and there will be plenty of warning. As it will be a 'hot spot' volcano there won't be a Mt St Helens style explosion either - more like Kilauea in Hawaii and people live on the flanks of this active volcano.

And do remember - in Christchurch over 400 000 survived both quakes, about 200 died so the odds are pretty good. It will take a while for life to return to a new normal - our kids will have to share their school with another high school (moning shift for ours, afternoon shift for the other students) and things like that. People will have to move out of their houses while they'll be repaired and so forth, all inconvenient but we'll bounce back.

More
13 years 3 months ago #368631 by shad297
A friend drew my attention to www.predictweather.com yesterday. Ken Ring's website. He predicted the quake we've just had if you look at his postings for 14 Feb and said that there may well be another one 19-20 March, not sure where though in NZ. Worth a look at and even the comments he got from people who decided to take that week off work in Chch were very grateful and for the people getting organised and getting their home emergency supplies sorted.
That's my job for the week apparently according to husband!

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
13 years 3 months ago #368649 by Huggiechook

shad297;360127 wrote: ... Ken Ring's website. He predicted the quake we've just had if you look at his postings for 14 Feb ...

I just had a read of this post and it takes a significant amount of hindsight filtering and interpretation to come to the conclusion that he "predicted" anyhting at all.
Looking at it without bias you will find that the article is covering all the bases both in terms of time and location. It is a techique called "cold reading" - usually employed by so called mediums to fool people into believing that they can communicate with the "other side"
But to be nice (sort of) I dont think he is doing it maliciously. I think he is actually fooling himself as much as anybody else.

More
13 years 3 months ago #368654 by Simkin

Huggiechook;360145 wrote: I just had a read of this post and it takes a significant amount of hindsight filtering and interpretation to come to the conclusion that he "predicted" anyhting at all.
Looking at it without bias you will find that the article is covering all the bases both in terms of time and location. It is a techique called "cold reading" - usually employed by so called mediums to fool people into believing that they can communicate with the "other side"
But to be nice (sort of) I dont think he is doing it maliciously. I think he is actually fooling himself as much as anybody else.

Huggiechook -

I've read Ken Ring's articles and all he is saying is that around March 18/19/20 there is a high likelihood for a large earthquake - if one is due. Most 'super moons' pass without causing more than a king tide but for instance the 8.8 Chile earthquake of February 27, 2010, happened the day before a super moon. Also the Napier/Hastings earthquake 80 years ago happened on the day of a super moon.

Lets be prepared - save some soft drink plastic bottles, fill them with water and store them in the garage or in a shed. Have some tinned food, muesli bars, etc at hand. It's always good to have these things on your property.

More
13 years 3 months ago #368656 by shad297
Huggiechook - he's not a psychic or medium, he's a mathematician who predicts long range weather forecasts and bases the predictions around moon, sun and other scientific activity.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
13 years 3 months ago #368657 by Huggiechook

shad297;360153 wrote: Huggiechook - he's not a psychic or medium, he's a mathematician who predicts long range weather forecasts and bases the predictions around moon, sun and other scientific activity.

I did not say he was a psychic - he just uses the same techniques in his "predictions"
A good analysis of his weather prediction powers can be found here: sciblogs.co.nz/the-atavism/2010/11/19/ke...predict-the-weather/

and this one on earthquakes: sciblogs.co.nz/the-atavism/2011/03/01/ke...-earthquakes-either/

Read those only if you are interested in actual science - as opposed to stuff that sounds scientific but isnt

Also - I always thought that you needed a degree in Mathematics in order to call yourself a mathematician :confused:

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds