Either laugh or cry - Rocky auction on TM

More
11 years 3 months ago #26516 by reggit
...some lovely dry humour here. As I said, either laugh or cry...one of the reasons I love the Kiwi sense of humour...

www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=357989041

:o

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #368284 by BlueSkyBee
Can't keep a good kiwi down for too long.... kudos to him :)

To dig in one’s own earth, with one’s own spade, does life hold anything better? –Beverly Nichols

More
11 years 3 months ago #368286 by Kiwi Sapper
Conversely, I do wonder at the mentality of people building and then living below the rocky outcrop shown in the pictures.

More
11 years 3 months ago #368289 by reggit
Well, I grew up in the shadow of those rocks in Sumnervale Drive/Finsarby Place - the area that was recently evacuated. Our horses used to graze in the almost vertical paddocks in the hills on either side, under all those rocks, and we used to ride up Evans Pass Road to Godley Head, under all those rocks.

Our informal 'pony club' used to ride down Heberden Drive with its myriad 'falling rocks' signs, and also train at a grassy area between Cave Rock and Shag Rock that was once known as Peacockes Gallop, as in the old days before the road was put in, folk used to start their gallop at one end and finish at the other, in the hope that a speedy through run would help them avoid rock falls...

In other words...you ignore the risks if nothing has triggered them in recent memory. Foolish, but human :rolleyes:

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
11 years 3 months ago #368293 by Stu_R
Very true and well said Tigger :)
I was here in Feilding in the big floods of 2004.. call it local knowledge or what ever you like :) .. i know what areas went under water ( and how badly) and i know where the rivers cut out banks and destroyed farms and houses
:) so i know where NOT to buy if i win lotto :)
Yet i still see so many people paying huge amounts for land that in 2004 was over fence height deep in water , and even in a normal winter will flood at the drop of a hat
:) guess in lots of cases its " what you dont know wont hurt you"

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 3 months ago #368295 by spoook
Fantastic someone has donated a holiday / getaway for the cause, that should sweeten the pot.
Was reading this at work today, saw how far down the page I got and just added it to my watchlist for later reading.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
11 years 3 months ago #368308 by Kiwi Sapper

tigger;359743 wrote: Well, I grew up in the shadow of those rocks in Sumnervale Drive/Finsarby Place....................."

Well then, please forgive me in observing that you were damn lucky to attain old age :D

More
11 years 3 months ago #368317 by highgirl
I agree with what tigger says. I grew up in Mt Pleasant (Soleares Ave actually which has was evacuated in all of this...we lived in a pole house so I wonder how that fared???) and I went to Redcliffs Primary School which had a cliff face as a backdrop.

I must admit I did quite often wonder what would happen in an earthquake but in my childish ignorance felt pretty safe in the "incorrect knowledge" that earthquakes only happened in wellington [;)]

I was always more scared of tsunami's taking us out [:0]

More
11 years 3 months ago #368344 by terralee
:D I have it on my watchlist :D but I fear it is getting far too expensive now for me to bid at the last minute :( [;)]
Love the whole idea and the resilience of the people[^] ...there are a few lights shining from this national tragedy :)
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
11 years 3 months ago #368347 by reggit

Kiwi Sapper;359763 wrote: Well then, please forgive me in observing that you were damn lucky to attain old age :D

Eh? [:0][:0] Watch the 'old', buddy! [}:)] :D :D :D :D :D :D

More
11 years 3 months ago #368362 by witheze
You called yourself "Grannie" Grannies are old! (ish) [;)]

More
11 years 3 months ago #368366 by BlueSkyBee
Tigger - sounds like an idyllic place to spend your youth :)

I'm very keen to be buying some land with lovely big volcanic rocks on it, there is a lot of it around here in Kamo/Hikurangi area, I just need to remember to build my house above them I think...

To dig in one’s own earth, with one’s own spade, does life hold anything better? –Beverly Nichols

More
11 years 3 months ago #368383 by sod
Sapper and what about all the people that build on fault lines/reclaimed land and places I grew up next to the main Hutt Valley fault and lived next to the one here :) :confused:

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
11 years 3 months ago #368385 by igor
And floodplains too sod. They're welcome to it. Give me hill country anytime.

More
11 years 3 months ago #368417 by reggit

witheze;359824 wrote: You called yourself "Grannie" Grannies are old! (ish) [;)]

Humph! In this context 'grannie' is a state of mind, rather than an age! [}:)]

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds