Gmail

More
13 years 3 months ago #26462 by Kevin and Perlita Morgan
Hi Previously there were some members were asking about problems that they had with their email service providers ,and one of the responses was to change the service provider ,Reply was that they would have to change everything ,notification of change etc .We had an email service provider ,who threw all the rubbish into our email account Yes we complained along with many others ,and got the same reply .They would look into the matter ,but they didnt say which year .We opened a gmail account and had no rubbish etc in our account ,
After a week i checked our old account ,and found over 1000 email messages in it .There were only 2 messages that were addressed to us ,the rest was rubbish addressed to many other people .What we did was erased all the messages in the old account ,and then set up gmail to fetch the messages from this old account .
Gmail transfers the messages to our gmail account very well ,but it also vets the messages before it transfers any .It notifies you that they havent transferred certain messages ,because ,the message is suspect ,or it may contain a virus etc ,
This is one way to get around changing your service provider ,
Over a period of time people will get to know your new email address ,without you having a big hassle
Cheers Kevin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367799 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Gmail
K & P - I thank you for your thread. Perhaps being in NZ we don't experience the same problems as "residential users" as opposed to business addresses that are out there but I too have set up a GMail account for the simple reason that I do not want to be bound to my ISP provider - Vodafone. I have been for many many years (previously Ihug that they bought out) and I can't fault their service but with having sold my property after 22 years, the light bulb moment went on and I realised that I needed to be available to all regardless of ISP provider.

I am trying with great difficulty to wean all my friends, family and business contacts to my NEW address but I am still getting emails on my old addy - which obviously is still active. How do you get through to your friends beyond "please change my email in your address book" to get them to change?

I have had no spam through ihug and I have had not spam through Gmail so blessed compared to what you are experiencing but good thread to get people to rethink their committment and reliance on their ISP provider.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367811 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Gmail

DiDi;359187 wrote: . How do you get through to your friends beyond "please change my email in your address book" to get them to change?

Most Email providers provide an "out of office holidays" autoreply function, especially ISP as vs free webmail ones. So if you set that to "sorry this email is no longer in use, please resubmit your email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it." you may get them to leave your old email alone to avoid getting the bounce back autoreplies in their inbox.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 3 months ago #367820 by Kevin and Perlita Morgan
Replied by Kevin and Perlita Morgan on topic Gmail
Hi Didi You can go to settings in gmail and have gmail import your messages from your old service provider ,Gmail will collect the email in the old email address and give it to you when you next access your gmail account ,Plus the gmail account will check the emails for virus and spam ,if clean gmail will import the email ,if gmail decides that it isnt clean ,they will notify you that they didnt uplift the email ,then you go to your old email address and delete the messages ,Gmail will continue to check your old account ,till you alter your settings .If yan can do what Kiwi 303 suggested then that could be a very good option
Cheers
Kevin

More
13 years 3 months ago #367853 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Gmail
I have a gmail account which i started back in 2008 and an xtra account which I started very late 2008.

I get an excessive number of spam emails in my gmail account and only 1 in my xtra account which was my fault for downloading freebie antispyware and that organisation keeps emailing how much spyware my computer had (then, all sorted since).

the gmail account is now only used for 3 points of contact. I haven't noticed a drop off in spam since sending the lot to the spam function though.... and I log into my xtra account when away from home via yahoo.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367868 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Gmail
I've been using Slingshot, but it's webmail and it has been driving me crazy for the last few months, cause it keeps slowing down and freezing up when i go to open emails. I had a long talk with a technician and it seems they can not fix the problem. They suggested I use office outlook, but what I don't like about that is I cannot access downloaded emails from anywhere which is why I preferred to leave them where they come in, with my service provider. I can divert to gmail, I have an account there, but I cannot make them leave a copy behind that I can see in Slingshot webmail.
Anybody use Thunderbird with Firefox? If so can you access it from anywhere?

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
13 years 3 months ago #367872 by kiwi_jon
Replied by kiwi_jon on topic Gmail

Stikkibeek;359269 wrote: I've been using Slingshot, but it's webmail and it has been driving me crazy for the last few months, cause it keeps slowing down and freezing up when i go to open emails. I had a long talk with a technician and it seems they can not fix the problem. They suggested I use office outlook, but what I don't like about that is I cannot access downloaded emails from anywhere which is why I preferred to leave them where they come in, with my service provider. I can divert to gmail, I have an account there, but I cannot make them leave a copy behind that I can see in Slingshot webmail.
Anybody use Thunderbird with Firefox? If so can you access it from anywhere?

Stikkibeek,

You can use Outlook or any other mail client to download your emails from Slingshot and keep a copy of the email on Slingshot so that you access them via webmail. The only downside is that most ISP's limit the size of your mailbox and once it gets full it will not accept any more mail.

Another option is that you can POP your Slingshot email from you Gmail account. You then have access to your Slingshot email via Gmail. Once again you can leave a copy of the email on Slingshot.

PM me if want further info on how to do this.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367880 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Gmail
All strange words to me but the set up I have at the moment is that my ISP provides mail from both accounts (theirs and Gmail) but I can also go directly into Gmail for my info there. All sorted by a IP consultant who hides in the background of this site so thanks K - it is working for me without any problems.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds