Following on from the locavore topic

• Toni - Northland
16 years 5 months ago #2644 by Toni - Northland
Following on from the locavore topic was created by Toni - Northland
This has got me thinking and also a post before Christmas I think it was, that someone on here had given themselves the challenge of producing everything from their own place for Christmas dinner and bartering for what they couldn't produce. I have set myself that challenge but added to it. I am only going to get pressies from the Op Shop, or make them. Daughter in law made all sorts of goodies for us all this year and it was neat. I started yesterday, got a bag of stuff from the op shop for $5, some was just normal shopping, but also got a battery powered little toy jet ski for one of the grandsons. It doesn't even matter if the batteries don't go, have to put new ones in to see yet. He will love it. Anymore ideas???????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #75303 by jeannielea
Plants you have grown from seed would be good. When friends/rellies have babies I make small polar fleece blankets (about half a metre square) which are hand sewn round the edges with herringbone stitch and everyone seems to love them.

More
16 years 5 months ago #75311 by reggit
I might join you on this one Toni - as we can't with the food as this year's Xmas will likely be sammies from the chilly bin on a half hour break from the building site [}:)] but as far as presents go...

A friend of mine makes pots of lemon honey which she dresses up (ribbon around it, nice cloth top and a sticker saying made by her) to give to family.

I used to make lavender drawer sachets as a child - why not try that again? Hmmmm....

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
16 years 5 months ago #75318 by hilldweller
And any sort of baking/preserves, nicely wrapped or in a basket etc, especially for people who would never make their own.

Or handmade soaps if you're into that sort of crafty thing - don't ask me how it's done though LOL.

hilldweller

• Toni - Northland
16 years 5 months ago #75319 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Following on from the locavore topic
I like the plant one, especially as I have African Violets here that I have been propagating from one that daughter grew at college. She is now 29, so I could 'do' them up and give to the families.

Talking about building sites Tigger, part of my house arrived this afternoon, the rest is coming tomorrow and they start on Monday. The slab is down and all ready to go, but man, I am sure they have diddled me on the size. Some of the room widths look very very narrow. Hope it is an optical illusion.[:0]

More
16 years 5 months ago #75320 by reggit
The slabs always look tiny! :D Hope that the weather is good for the build.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
16 years 5 months ago #75321 by hilldweller

quote:Originally posted by Toni - Northland

The slab is down and all ready to go, but man, I am sure they have diddled me on the size. Some of the room widths look very very narrow. Hope it is an optical illusion.[:0]

Rooms always look tiny at that stage and even once the framing is up. Once the roof and walls are on it will all come back into proportion.

hilldweller

More
16 years 5 months ago #75328 by reggit
I've heard of people doing pledge certificates eg 'this certificate entitles you to one night's babysitting' etc :D

• maggies mum
16 years 5 months ago #75332 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Following on from the locavore topic
A great offshoot thread Toni, I always used to make gifts but I seem to have become rather lazy of late!

• Toni - Northland
16 years 5 months ago #75337 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Following on from the locavore topic
MM, perhaps we could have a show and tell at the end of the year with the things we have made, produced or purchased from charity shops etc. As you know, I haven't encouraged our adult kids to buy for us, but daughter in law this year produced some yummy baking and one daughter bought round some fudge all nicely wrapped that her friends 12 years old daughter had made. It started me thinking then, but the thought never grew untill reading these other threads. Who was it on here that was doing the making the lunch from everything produced or barted.

More
16 years 5 months ago #75338 by reggit
I have got a great set of patterns for felt characters to hang on the christmas tree which would make great presents - as a kid I paid for my first paid of jodhpurs making and selling these through my parents' work [:I]

• maggies mum
16 years 5 months ago #75342 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Following on from the locavore topic
I like the idea of sharing ideas, maybe we could do some swapping of goods with each other, heck we could have our own co-operative going.

There is a craft etc forum on here isn't there, maybe we could follow up with it in there?

I had a buzz making felted bags, I'd be happy to make some in assorted colours and do swaps with other stuff. Have made a few Christmas tree baubles with beads threaded onto dressmaker pins and stuck into small polystyrene balls, they make lovely pressies.......

The list could be endless.

More
16 years 5 months ago #75348 by spoook
Lemon sugar, plain white sugar left for a couple of weeks with lemon flowers to infuse the sugar. Dressed up in a pretty jar etc.
A salt, handcream and essential oil mix to "scour" and smooth hands is a great gift.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
16 years 5 months ago #75359 by The Kats Place
It was me who did the dinner and I must say I think I pretty much pulled it off. The biggy was that I minded a 18 month old for six days in December while its mum worked and she paid me with a ham - cheap child care for her (less than $20 a day)and a great boost for my plan. Ripe tomatoes and cream came down to the wire but was able to do a trade in the end.
Now my son has offer to teach me to use his still (wrong spelling I'm sure) to make spirits. I'll let you know how that goes.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
16 years 5 months ago #75364 by George
What an excellent idea. A friend of mine makes brandied prunes and gives them to everyone as presents. Presents of time are also good - my aunt got a gift certificate for a trip to the pictures with her grandkids for christmas which she was pretty thrilled about.

I always used to make a bunch of my Christmas gifts - now I have an agreement with most of my family not to bother which is even easier!

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds