Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!

More
13 years 3 months ago #367546 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
We must all be thankful that there is not widespread fire from broken kitchen stove chimneys and suchlike as in San Francisco in 1906 or Napier/Hastings in 1931. My thoughts are with you all in the affected area.
Very little work was done in the office here yesterday afternoon as we were all stuck to the news broadcasts. One of our guys was at the Holiday Inn opposite the Grand Chancellor. He said that where he was on the second floor the building was swaying about a metre each way. He was very glad to get out of town.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367547 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Grove owners daughter and her 2 kids are arriving at grove this afternoon ... The daughter was on the 7th ( top) floor of that CTV building running a group conference with a family ... from that room she was in , 10 people total .. 1 dead 2 fighting for lives in intensive care place .. Pip (the daughter) is in major pain with her back , doesnt give a toss about the cuts , and is flying anyway as her and the kids dont need the after shocks ... hubby staying back to protect whats left of the house and look after their pets
She was pulled out through a hole in the roof by passers by that were at ground level ( remember they had been on 7th floor befor quake) and that was just befor the rubble of that building caught fire
She is one very very very lucky lady

My heart goes out to everyone there ... and especially to all the poor helpless confused and lost animals

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 3 months ago #367560 by Kalmara
Replied by Kalmara on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Stu thats a horrid story, hope Pip and her kids can recover in the quiet of the Manawatu.
The Christchurch dog people have a pretty darn good network going and have been helping out with all pets/food/crates/etc.
Still waiting for contact/news from my friend.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367562 by Hestia
Replied by Hestia on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
My thoughts.

Why do I recognize the name Anne Voss?

It is so familiar to me, but I lost so many names and faces those years nursing husband. (never slept more than 2 hrs due to his medication and no relief and I became a bit both "adhd and dyslectic" and cant read longer texts or even concentrate and watch TV programs after this) (sometimes I remember peoples faces and cant remember any names at all, yesterday I just started to think about my ex husbands brother and his wife and dont remember any names in that family! scary!)

I cant even read all replies in this thread and concentrate on it.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367566 by highgirl
Replied by highgirl on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Me too...I knew that name??? I have no idea where from though!

More
13 years 3 months ago #367567 by Hestia
Replied by Hestia on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
I did google with pics, there is a azalea with that name.
Is that why I recognize the name or?
Hubbie was a gardener and spent hrs walking looking at plants when we were in town to do our groceries and he loved azaleas and rhododendrons,,that are related o each other?

• jdnz
13 years 3 months ago #367571 by jdnz
Replied by jdnz on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
So pleased to hear Tigger and family is OK. It just occured to me that she had family down there so I came online to see if she'd posted before texting her. Thanks for posting that they are safe.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367575 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Hestia - bit off topic on this thread but so happy to hear that you have made it "home" with your dogs (and that you will have your beautiful old boy with you in spirit) and just as those who have been through so much in this earthquake, it will be a new beginning for you, no matter how hard - but babe - you are home! We are what we think so be positive and what you deserve will come to you. Cyber hug big time!

More
13 years 3 months ago #367578 by Pumpkingirl
Through a little detective work, I'm pretty sure I've found the 'real name' and contact details for NZAppy.

I don't personally know her, do you think I should ring the numbers I have? Or would that be too weird? Is there others who know her who might be better candidates?

More
13 years 3 months ago #367581 by LMCL65
Replied by LMCL65 on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Pumpkingirl I think it would show the real community that exists in this cyberfamily and could only be taken as that. Ring, and let us know.

Laurette, mother to Eamon (16), Sebastian and Cheve (angel cats) Henry and Bellatrix cats, Sadie and Billy Bob(dogs) Rocky, Lola and Hersephone (rainbow goat) (Goats), Sparrow and Esme (cows), 6 chickens , 6 Khaki campbell ducks, tadpoles and goldfish.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367582 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Andrea has tried, no answer as yet. :(
You could try and tell her and her hubby, Len, we are thinking of them. They may actually have two properties, Oxford and the city?

I made a couple of calls earlier to find them but came to dead ends.
Did you have a look on the lost and found list ??

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
13 years 3 months ago #367583 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Have you checked her name on the people finder ?

Web Goddess

More
13 years 3 months ago #367585 by Pumpkingirl
AH,that's ok then. I found a cellphone and decided to ring it but it is an old one and no longer connected.

Glad Andrea is onto it. Fingers crossed.

PS tried that link, thanks Kate, but she's not on it.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367590 by Jenna
Replied by Jenna on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Yesterday I was working, almost ready for my lunch break when the phone rang. My mum was in the middle of asking me to lunch at her house when it hit. I remember hearing myself screaming with every breath I took as I tried to get out of my workroom without stuff falling on me. I fell twice on the way out but got tto the front door and out safely, just in time to turn and see the double brick wall all the way up the driveway collapse.

I work at home so didn't need to go anywhere, so I tried to focus on texting my family and loved ones. I don't remember if my hands were shaking or not, but my mind couldn't get as far as pressing 2 different buttons one after the other to unlock the phone, and it kept locking up on me again lol. Eventually I sent my messages and heard back from everyone gradually as messages could get through with (to say the least) spasmodic service.

After a couple of hours of full panic, I looked around. There's nothing left on a single shelf or surface and most of it is broken. the kitchen is just a mess. There are sand volcanoes and cracks in the yard all over the place and sewerage is starting to leak through the liquefaction. We think there's probably liquefaction under the house as well. The inside layer of the wall is still intact but weakened and flexible and the guttering was set into the outer layer so is on the driveway as well.

But, we're safe. The cat is safe and even the chickens are safe. We don't directly know anyone who didn't make it, but are starting to hear accounts of friends-of-friends dying.
The waiting starts again on the whole eqc assessment thing as far as I can gather :( but we have a roof and are safe

Hoping all LSBers check in as safe here as well.... watching and hoping

Hugs to all who need them

More
13 years 3 months ago #367591 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Go ahead and ring her, PG, with whatever contact info you've found!! I only have her mobile number and email addy, and no response from either so far!!!!

Their Oxford property doesn't have a landline, hence the mobile number.

Oh, damn... hadn't seen that you're number was a dead-end, PG...

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds