Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!

More
13 years 2 months ago #367506 by Valmai
Replied by Valmai on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Tried ringing a friend of NZ Apps but her phone is out. Those of us out in the countryside who were in the middle of the last one are fine (unless anyone was in town at the time). For me it didnt feel anymore than a 3.5 and only lasted about 20 seconds, or as long as it takes to get off the loo pull up my pants run down the hall and outside. I didnt even realise how bad it was, until I went to the library about an hour later and asked why I had to queue for petrol in Darfield.
Can't contact my 87 year old auntie, and cousin in Brighton, getting stressed.

Carbon-based biological unit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #367508 by highgirl
Replied by highgirl on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Wow simkin, you did have an interesting experience of it. I imagine provided cowvet was not in chch, she will be fine.

Hopefully someone will hear from NZ Apps soon though. I definitely knew it was big, as I originally said it was the biggest I'd felt since the Sept one, but we felt it to a lesser degree in Springfield than Chch but the devastation it's caused is unbelievable.

I feel for all those families that have lost loved ones.

Pleased your family all got home eventually Andrea, and I hope your sons have spoken with their Dad seaside. My boys father lives in North Beach, but he was in Wanaka at the time.

More
13 years 2 months ago #367512 by kalnetta
Replied by kalnetta on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Had to go to New Brighton Last night to bring BIL home to us as the rest home He was in is totaled.Took hours to get around and back home ,cars abandonded all over the place and down big sink holes.the city and eastern suburbs are like a bomb site.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
13 years 2 months ago #367514 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Hope we hear from NZ Apps and Jenna soon. I worry about NZ Apps as she works in the provincial chambers, I worry about Jenna because she mentioned a few days ago their double brick wall had been identified as a hazard, which is why their repairs were fast tracked. It may well be that they just don't have power, fingers crossed everyone is OK.

Thanks HG, he phoned today and is staying with family in Prebbleton. The ceiling of his living room caved in, cupboards and fridge emptied, microwave fell and smashed into pieces, but he was unhurt.

Andrea, what a relief for you, but must have been very traumatic for you all, especially DD in the thick of it all.

We've heard from most people we are close to now and all are well, but there are many, many reports of people whose houses are now unlivable - there will be a lot of homeless people in Christchurch in the coming weeks. We have friends staying who have no sewage, no power and no phone - luckily we still have all these being quite far out.

The news about the dead and injured is just dreadful, my hearts go out to those suffering.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
13 years 2 months ago #367515 by blimeyvicki
I have just received this short email from a supplier. For people in Auckland to be able to do something.

Freight to Christchurch FREE to anyone who wishes to donate some tinned food for the people of Christchurch Peter Baker Transport is accepting tinned food
They are situated at Bell Ave Mt Wellington tel 09 250 0800

Maybe bottled water might be a good thing to send?

More
13 years 2 months ago #367520 by ame
Replied by ame on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!

Andrea;358810 wrote: I've emailed and texted everyone I can think of. Emails appear to be getting through, where people have power to access the internet, but texts are mostly not getting through. I lost count of the numbers of texts I sent to just my 3 family members who were in town, and my daughter got just one, husband none, son none. Wish there was a more reliable way of staying in touch in an emergency. DS and DH are both ham radio operators, but that doesn't do me or DD much good....

You could take the test- it's not too hard, just a bit of rote learning. I think it is especially useful to be a ham in NZ due to distances between people and the risk (albeit rare) of natural disasters. In your current situation ham radio could be useful to you. You are legally allowed to listen to Amateur transmissions, so you could get a (radio) scanner and listen to the local Amateur radio repeaters. If DH transmits onto the repeater you can hear it. He can tell you his situation even if you cannot transmit a reply. Also, in a *genuine* emergency *anyone* can use Amateur radio equipment without a license to get help (this may be true for any radio equipment on any frequency, but I am not sure).

Aside from that, Christchurch is my home even though I am currently not there. I am thinking of you and wishing you all well.

A

More
13 years 2 months ago #367529 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
I'm seriously thinking about it, ame! I didn't know that about being able to use the equipment in a true emergency, though, thanks (DS AND DH asleep now, so I can't check to see if they know this). They each have handhelds, and DH also as a multi-band one at the back of a shed that he wants to find and finally set up. Even if I could just hear them talking to each other, I'd know they were ok.

Are amateur radio operators used much in emergency scenarios in New Zealand? DH was heavily involved with his local club where we used to live in the US, and they were always doing comms for various events, just to keep sharp and practice emergency preparedness. They stopped going to the local club here because they're not very active, and there are no young people involved (DS was only 16 when he got his license, he's nearly 19 now, and still no young people involved...).

More
13 years 2 months ago #367530 by highgirl
Replied by highgirl on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Hopefully Jenna will be ok, depending on where she was at the time. I think she lives close to my Dad (she mentioned Opawa one time) and it was bad there. Hopefully she just has no power and has her mind on other things.

It's got one step closer to me because a good friend I worked with has his wife in the CTV building. They have two wee boys aged 9mths old and 2. He's said they have just been to police station to lodge an official report :(

I don't believe it, he's the most dedicated loving husband and dad, and I so hope that the worst does not come true for him.

What is ham radio?

More
13 years 2 months ago #367531 by Shropshire Blue
Just heard , our friends whose house was hit hard in Huntsbury are heading out to stay with us.

More
13 years 2 months ago #367533 by ame

highgirl;358899 wrote: What is ham radio?

'Ham radio' is another name for 'Amateur Radio'. It is a popular hobby worldwide, and involves using radios for communication. In general, people are not permitted to transmit radio signals. All radio transmitters must be licensed. Radio Amateurs (or 'hams') can apply for a license and then they can start transmitting on certain frequencies (we cannot, for example, transmit on the frequencies you can pick up on your hifi in the lounge, or car stereo). Generally hams chat about the weather or other humdrum topics, much like someone on email, FaceBook or this forum would.

Once you have a license you can buy all the equipment you need, but the hobbyist aspect involves building antennas (or even complete radios) and trying to maximise the distance you can transmit to or receive from, or bounce signals off the moon, or hook up to a PC and send data over the radio, or set up your station at a remote location such as a hilltop or field etc. However, if there is ever an emergency and cell phones stop working (or if there is no cell coverage) then an experienced ham with the right equipment can usually contact someone (who can then relay messages or summon help).

It's too much to delve into here (and my enthusiasm for the topic shouldn't diminish the fact that I am genuinely concerned for the people in Chch) but more hams=more communications, and in other circumstances more fun. There are a ton of resources on the web, but in NZ I suggest you start with www.nzart.org.nz

A

More
13 years 2 months ago #367535 by ame

Andrea;358898 wrote: I'm seriously thinking about it, ame! I didn't know that about being able to use the equipment in a true emergency, though, thanks (DS AND DH asleep now, so I can't check to see if they know this). They each have handhelds, and DH also as a multi-band one at the back of a shed that he wants to find and finally set up. Even if I could just hear them talking to each other, I'd know they were ok.

Are amateur radio operators used much in emergency scenarios in New Zealand? DH was heavily involved with his local club where we used to live in the US, and they were always doing comms for various events, just to keep sharp and practice emergency preparedness. They stopped going to the local club here because they're not very active, and there are no young people involved (DS was only 16 when he got his license, he's nearly 19 now, and still no young people involved...).

It's not so much that Amateurs are 'used' in emergency situations rather than they are 'there'. Since they can chat to each other they can self-organise and ask for help or offer information from virtually any location, but that's all. Hams represent the entire spectrum of the general public, from quick-witted and able, through to slovenly and dim, so I wouldn't ascribe any magical powers to them.

There is an 'Emergency Group' called 'AREC' which is a volunteer organisation within NZART (the NZ Association of Radio Transmitters). They do train on message passing and setting up of local communications in random places to support search and rescue and other events. Actually, AREC has provided comms for the Coast-to-Coast event every year for a while now.

It's too bad your local club is not interesting enough for DS. It's a problem these days that people are so used to cellphones and the internet, and other hobbies that consume time, that Amateur Radio is not as popular as it once was, however, it only takes a few people in an area to get together and make things vibrant again.

A

More
13 years 2 months ago #367539 by stephclark
[
It's got one step closer to me because a good friend I worked with has his wife in the CTV building. They have two wee boys aged 9mths old and 2. He's said they have just been to police station to lodge an official report :(

HI there

yes i have been trying to contact collegues in chch.. most are ok, but there are 3 in the CTV building as well..
talking to one chch cameraman this morning, apparantly only about 50% of the people at CTV have been contactable..that mean 50% of CTV.. OMG..cant be found/contacted whatever.. very worrying
on the upside my roaming rellies ( motorhome tour of sth island ).. hadnt made it to chch yet.. still in nelson..phew..had no idea what had happened until i ph'd to see if they were ok..( running on batteries..so no tv/radio on )

my thoughts are with all in chch area.. the residents, searchers,medical personal.. such a huge undertaking..

More
13 years 2 months ago #367540 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Aloha from the shakey city - looks like my charmed run of coming down here and having aftershock-free visits has come to an end - spectacularly! First time have been able to get online at my sisters place and won't be here long.

Was down here helping my mum unpack her house - she hospitalised herself doing too much during the move, she's 77 - and we had pretty much got it all squared away, and I was booked to fly back this arvo. Have flagged the flight and staying on for a few more days. We are lucky with power and water still on and a full tank of petrol as the stations are either out of petrol or huge queues.

Damage they are showing in the city I grew up in is breaking my heart. Cried when I saw the damage to the Cathedral :(

Heart goes out to those who have lost loved ones...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 2 months ago #367542 by stephclark
goods to hear you are ok Tigger.. yes i cried too when i saw the cathedral..it was an iconic building in chch and i am broken hearted that it is soo badly damaged

More
13 years 2 months ago #367544 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Found out today my cousin in Hamilton's husband was running a seminar in a building in the CBD, was in the square and saw the Cathedral collapse... He's booked on a flight to auckland later this evening, we've gotten my Brothers details to him so if his flight is cancelled or delayed or something he can stay with my brother for the night.

My brothers partners mum was showing an english friend through the cathedral at the time but they managed to get out of the building safely. My brothers fine, the house across the street from where he was working at the time looks to have been shaken off it's piles, but his flat is apparently undamaged, livable anyway, and he's not coming up, he'll be staying in Chch for the time being.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds