Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!

More
13 years 3 months ago #367456 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Still waiting for L to come home from work, he want waaaay up north. When he rang about 8ish, he did not even know it had happened. [:0]

I have all sorts of sites open to bring him up to speed.

My heart goes out to everyone in the area, through the night will be a very hard time.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367457 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
We are ok. Just got power back. Have helped neighbours with chimney in a shattered stack remove it from their roof before it toppled through the ceiling.
Dug new toilet pit so set for a few days now:rolleyes:

More
13 years 3 months ago #367463 by Nora
Replied by Nora on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Well I am fine, as was out of town at the time. My husband and parents and extended family in Chch are all ok too so seems a real blessing.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367465 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
I'm glad to be able to report that my family and our friends and neighbours are ok. I'm glad, Andrea, that you were able to get hold of your hubby and kids.

But what a day it was.

I went to visit a friend in Avonside Drive, one of the worst affected areas during the September 4th quake. On my way home, while driving along the river, the quake struck. It's a 30km/h zone due to the damage still there and that feeling of not being in control of the car was one of the most eerie things I've ever experienced. I carefully brought the car to a halt and watched the drama unfold around me.

The road split open, a bridge not far away warped, the tarseal was pushed up by the forces at work, hip high in some places, making the road ahead of me impassable and water fountains sprang up where the water mains had been ripped apart.

While the shaking was still going on but starting to diminish a large 4x4 car made it very clear behind me that I should move but I didn't. So the driver zoomed past me, tuned onto the still swaying bridge to cross it when one of his wheels got caught in the gaps that had opened up in the bridge. Idiot.

I carefully turned the car around in a place where the split in the road was only about 10cm wide. I made it out of the Avon River's loop eventually only to witness the 5.7 aftershock bringing down a brick building.

Many roads and bridges were badly damaged and impassable. I drove past a shop where I bought a few things less than 2 hours earlier - it was reduced to rubble. Closer to the city centre traumatised people had flooded onto the roads, gazing at the widespread damage.

The trip home, which usually takes me less than 20 minutes, took 3 hours.

Some intersections were controlled by volunteers who gave their time to replace the traffic lights but most intersections were total chaos. I did not see a single policeman/woman, nobody was there to sort out the mess, only cars clogging up the intersections with little idea of what to do and where to go.

Bob Parker, our mayor, had called the September 4 quake 'doomsday'. I wonder what he'll call this one. Last time the media photographed the one and only badly damaged corner time and time again. This time wherever you are in and around the central city, there is devastation.

My heart goes out to those who have lost loved ones or are still waiting for news about their whereabouts.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367466 by spoook
Wow Simkin, what an experience. Glad to hear you and yours are all safe.

Imagine this disaster without mobile phones......... a sobering thought.
Lots of the trapped would not be able to let rescuers know where they are, families would still be searching for each other..... the list goes on.

I see there are still shock going on......... sleep well those that can.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367467 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
was just sitting here thinking .. of all the distressed frightened and lost animals and pets down there to , even on places that have not been damaged :(
my first thoughts would always be for all my 4 legged children
My heart goes out to all involved , and specially to all the ederly people that have lost and are looking for their beloved 4 legged friends :(

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 3 months ago #367468 by Kalmara
Replied by Kalmara on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Thank you everyone for your words and thoughts.
Very welcome phone call very late last night from brother, SIL and teens are all OK.
Now just need to hear my girlfriend. I know she will be frantic to get home to her dogs and cats.

Simkin, thank goodness your OK, must have been very scary for you to be right in the middle of the chaos.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367469 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
With Air NZ offering "All available fares on Air New Zealand domestic services from any point on the domestic network to/from Christchurch for booking and travel through until 8am Friday morning are available for $50 one way. These can be booked via the Air New Zealand website and call centre," offers of short "holidays" in other, firmer parts of the country, might be practicable.

There's room here, and a warm welcome, as I am sure will be the case in many other places. Presumably our own members will be tied to home by animal care requirements, but there must be lots of people to whom this offer could be made. I just don't know where to make it, other than here.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367471 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
We too offer our home tho" far from Chch to anyone who wants to get away from the carnage ...I find it difficult like all the rest of you that we are here and feel utterly useless ...so want to be of assistance in a physical sense not just donating money etc ....you are all in our Prayers and thoughts ..May God give us all the strength we need to do what we must.

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
13 years 3 months ago #367472 by Murray
Replied by Murray on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
I'm okay as are my family. Was home on leave fortunately. Currently have mother, aunt and husband, uncle and wife (who turned up in campervan after their home was destroyed), brother and cousin here as well as we have power and therefore water, and septic tank so can flush toilets and have showers!!

Murray - Tuahiwi, Nth Canty
It is better to wear out than rust out - Bishop Richard Cumberland
Wiltshire sheep, hazelnuts, Araucana chooks and Dexter cattle

More
13 years 3 months ago #367473 by Hintzashouse
Hoping NZ Apps is ok somewhere ... please... and thoughts to everyone in Canterbury and with loved ones affected on this forum

More
13 years 3 months ago #367474 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Thanks to all of you who are letting us know you are safe...I hope we hear from NZ Apps, cowvet and others that they're okay.

Web Goddess

More
13 years 3 months ago #367475 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!

Kate;358835 wrote: Thanks to all of you who are letting us know you are safe...I hope we hear from NZ Apps, cowvet and others that they're okay.

Amen to that.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367492 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
More than half of Christchurch is still without power so no way of posting for those affected by the power outage. We got power back last night so are very priviledged. 80% of Christchurch is still without water. We do have water but we live on the western outskirts, furthest away from the epicentre. And believe me - 10 km make a HUGE difference in a quake of this (relatively moderate) magnitude. Had it hit in a rural area not much would have happened.

The Avon loop surrounds an area of sand so there the shaking is about 10 times magnified compared to a firmer ground at the same distance from the epicentre. Most buildings that came down were either older brick buildings or multistory buildings. This time even the buildings that had undergone earthquake strengthening were reduced to rubble.

We've been living in Christchurch for a good 20 years now and there never ever was an indication that a fault line could be as close as this to this city.

Stu - interesting that you should think of your and our four legged friends. Seconds after the quake the streets around the area where I was filled with dogs - big dogs, small dogs, all looking displaced and shaken. They were aimlessly crossing the roads.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367505 by spoook
OMG, one bit of news tells us there are believed to be 15 people alive in the CTV building.
Another tells us that they have closed the CTV site. All are believed to have died from asphyxiation. No more rescue efforts.

How devastating for the families of those inside, especially one man that was not long ago talking to his wife inside.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds