Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!

More
13 years 3 months ago #367705 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Sitting in sister's lounge waiting for the plumber to arrive, damage to her hot water cylinder. After hearing that my friend (home and business central city) who, with her kids, is dossed out on another friend's floor, has only the clothes that she stands up in, my sister managed to find a pile of old clothes in the right size - and a 6-pack of new undies for her. That was the most appreciated gift!! :rolleyes:

Tell you what, the first thing I am doing when I get home is putting together a much bigger and better emergency kit. Including things like smalls and sanitary products, toiletries etc.

Because mum was in the middle of moving house we still haven't found her complete kit and her water bottles had been emptied out. Found the bottles and have been boiling water to put aside. I suspect that while they are putting water on to more homes, once repairs start in earnest more cuts will be happening to allow pipes to be accessed. No showers, flushing or washing clothes/dishes at the mo.

Blasted an ignorant man yesterday who was out washing his car with a hose!!!!!!!! The lady in front of me stopped to tell him off, he ignored her, so I did a u-turn and went back and talked to him as well. 'Oh, I didn't realise' he said (yeah, right!!) [:(!][:(!][:(!]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367706 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Washing his car!!!!! FFS, where has he been the last few days???

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
13 years 3 months ago #367709 by reggit
Exactly! [:(!]

Wow, plumber been and gone, those guys are doing so well, that is one thing, the first quake in September was almost a 'dry run' and systems are in place now when this sort of thing happens.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 3 months ago #367716 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
A song for Christchurh words & all :(

www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_7400840

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
13 years 3 months ago #367729 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
The Police have locked up a number of looters and will oppose bail when their court appearance comes up. Would have saved everybody a lot of trouble if the Police were issued with live rounds to deal with these scum [:(!]

These photos from a Canadian news source paint some sad pictures. Also the before/after shots from TV3's website give an idea of the scale of distruction.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 3 months ago #367730 by reggit
Well, I feel a bit like a rat deserting a sinking ship, but managed to get a flight out of ChCh booked for the weekend. AirNZ website wasn't much use, not a chance in heck of getting through on the 0800 number (told later there was a queue of 500+ on this!) so thought a bit laterally, and called a AirNZ Holiday Store in Hamilton - and got through straight away :D .

Not only did the lovely man book me the very last $50 flight available before these expire on Sunday (I had missed my other flight because of this and couldn't change/refund it) but he was also able to book me on a specific flight - which the website couldn't do - so I don't have to sit in the airport from 8am waiting to find out what is happening...

Now I need to get my mum's pantry and fridge restocked from us hunkering down after the quake - hopefully over the weekend once the panic buying stops as people start to trust the supply chains, the queues at the supermarkets won't be quite so long...:(

Let's just hope no more big shakes and that mum continues to improve over the next few days so that I can leave her with a clear conscience...I will go around the lovely neighbours - who all came to check up on everyone after the quake, but whom mum doesn't know yet - and ask them to call in on her in the coming weeks and make sure all okay. My sister is also down here, but she is running ragged looking after herself and working (nurse) until this all calms down...

More
13 years 3 months ago #367733 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
What I don't get about the behaviour of those with emergency kits, is they store them under the bed, or in the hot water cupboard, or somewhere inside. Surely if you're ina na emergency, house burns down, falls down, blows up, whatever... then the kit being inside either ashes, under a pile of rubble, or scattered across the neighbourhood, is then useless...

Stick it in a waterproof sturdy box and shove it in the corner of the flimsy tin garden shed! then if the shed falls down you can pull it apart with bare hands to rescue the kit. it is for Worst case scenarios after all, and an impassible house blocking off the kit storage space is a worst case scenario for a house-stored kit.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 3 months ago #367736 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Very good thought, Kiwi. There are lessons to be learnt for all New Zealanders.

There are very few suburban homes affected so badly that no-one can enter them so that's lucky for those who have their emergency kit under their bed.

It's the many many people without such a kit at all who have problems with all the takeaways closed, supermarkets closed and petrol stations closed. Despite the ads in the paper that fuel stations are open - we tried 4 and no luck. Either sold out, emergency vehicles only or no power for the pumps. Ah well, they tell us to stay home anyway.

I haven't tried to do any shopping - we're still ok - so this will happen once the queues will hopefully be shorter. We've seen the looooooong queue of cars trying to get into the parking lot of a shopping centre.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367744 by highgirl
Replied by highgirl on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!

Stikkibeek;359063 wrote: Through all this sad and devastating news, there is nothing that has made me feel a sick as hearing on the news tonight, that a family sitting vigil at the cordon, for news of their loved family member, has now had their damaged home cleaned out by looters. Boy do those dumb heartless people need taking out and shooting at dawn[:(!]

Yes, that really got to me too Stikkibeek. I realised I'd bought my last house from Donna, and she was such a lovely women, doing so well for herself and her children. I feel so much for those teenagers, now without a mum :(

I'm also really hurting for my good friend who has a wife (and is the mother of two very young children) still missing in the CTV building.

Adrenalin has worn off now, and today is crying day...reality has sunk in and my precious Chch which has been home all my life is pretty much destroyed :(

I should just get on with it...have the NZ pioneering spirit and forge on ahead, but I can't get my head around it yet.

I went to Redcliffs Primary School as a child and used to look at that cliff, backing the playground, wondering what would happen in an earthquake...now I know!

More
13 years 3 months ago #367759 by highgirl
Replied by highgirl on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
What...washing a car? What suburb or planet was that??? How totally ridiculous!

More
13 years 3 months ago #367770 by stephclark

highgirl;359142 wrote: What...washing a car? What suburb or planet was that??? How totally ridiculous!

sorry . those that do that sort of thing need to be culled from the herd... too dumb to bred

More
13 years 3 months ago #367784 by reggit

highgirl;359142 wrote: What...washing a car? What suburb or planet was that??? How totally ridiculous!

I hear from my friends that on that same day they had to have a word to their neighbours who had put their garden sprinkler system on [:0]

Made it to the supermarket, not too bad actually and moved pretty quickly. Felt for the staff, they had been on since 8am and didn't finish until 8pm as making do with smallest number possible to keep open so other staff could be with family. Queues at the petrol station, on the other hand, are still extensive...

More
13 years 3 months ago #367785 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Some people just have no concept of what water means or where it comes from. Steph, you are right. These people should not be allowed to breed.

More
13 years 3 months ago #367787 by Stikkibeek
As much as I too think that's dumb, I do think we out in the world of power, television and delivered papers, need to realise that there will be some people in CHch, who have been without power and very likely most other things, that may not yet realise the extent of the damage. In saying that though, if they had had those emergency kits we have all been advised to have, they would have had a transistor radio, and been well acquainted with the news.

Nah! Maybe it does just come back to being a dumb, thoughtless moron.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
13 years 3 months ago #367792 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
MYOB have posted they have introduced a programme within their group, Jaffa Buddys.

Their Ak staff will be calling their Chch staff to see how they are, if they need anything and to pass on messages.

Now that gives you the warm fuzzies. :D

Each time I got a friend in Chch I was so emotional I could hardly talk, even to the woman at Telecom that helped me further what had been started at 12.47pm on Tuesday, a few minutes before the quake. I know the guy I was talking to got out, I just wonder how they all fared. The centre is right near the cathedral but is still standing.
I am sure I will hear from him again.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds