Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!

More
13 years 2 months ago #367597 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!

Jenna;358961 wrote: Yesterday I was working, almost ready for my lunch break when the phone rang. My mum was in the middle of asking me to lunch at her house when it hit. I remember hearing myself screaming with every breath I took as I tried to get out of my workroom without stuff falling on me. I fell twice on the way out but got tto the front door and out safely, just in time to turn and see the double brick wall all the way up the driveway collapse.

I work at home so didn't need to go anywhere, so I tried to focus on texting my family and loved ones. I don't remember if my hands were shaking or not, but my mind couldn't get as far as pressing 2 different buttons one after the other to unlock the phone, and it kept locking up on me again lol. Eventually I sent my messages and heard back from everyone gradually as messages could get through with (to say the least) spasmodic service.

After a couple of hours of full panic, I looked around. There's nothing left on a single shelf or surface and most of it is broken. the kitchen is just a mess. There are sand volcanoes and cracks in the yard all over the place and sewerage is starting to leak through the liquefaction. We think there's probably liquefaction under the house as well. The inside layer of the wall is still intact but weakened and flexible and the guttering was set into the outer layer so is on the driveway as well.

But, we're safe. The cat is safe and even the chickens are safe. We don't directly know anyone who didn't make it, but are starting to hear accounts of friends-of-friends dying.
The waiting starts again on the whole eqc assessment thing as far as I can gather :( but we have a roof and are safe

Hoping all LSBers check in as safe here as well.... watching and hoping

Hugs to all who need them

Glad to hear you are safe

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #367598 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
I went though a dig of my PMs to find the one from '09 with a landline no and hubbies name for NZ Appy. Sent a PM to Andrea, it's 11pm now and if they're alive and at home I'd Rather not disturb them this late... let them sleep and Andrea can try the num in the morning...

I'm not a morning person to be up and about to call, besides it's long distance while Andrea probably has free local calling to there :P

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 2 months ago #367599 by FencerMan
Site for people wanting to offer accommodation to earthquake victims...

www.quakeescape.org.nz/

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
13 years 2 months ago #367602 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Jenna, that sounds very very scary. Glad you got out ok.

Just a bit of an update about how bad it is this time.

No postal deliveries till the end of the month - last time no interruption.

Supermarkets closed for 1.5 days - last time 0.5 days

Still no power in 50% of households - last time 95% restored after 1.5 days

No sewer in the whole city for at least 2 - 3 weeks - last time 2 - 3 days for most areas

No running water in 80% of households after 1.5 days - last time most water restored.

No working ATMs for 1.5 days and only sporadic service from day 2.5 - no interruption

And of course - this time many people lost their lives. Had the September quake hit at 1pm instead of 4.36am on a Tuesday there would have been dozens of dead as only very few and much smaller buildings collapsed. This time there will be hundreds.

In September the Bexley residents had to cope with liquefaction and lots of sand in their streets. This time sewerage comes up all the time. It's in people's houses, on the streets, everywhere, because Bexley is very low lying and there is no way out to sea for the sewage.

We just had another aftershock, dishes were rattling in the cupboards. I'm still up because I can't sleep anyway. When I lie in bed I can feel even the little ones so I have to be really tired to be able to fall asleep.

More
13 years 2 months ago #367606 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Looks like internet access okay again - for who knows how long. Didn't feel any shakes last night, we are still sleeping on mattresses on the living room floor. Had a good night's sleep.

Worse thing is not knowing if/when next one will hit. The confidence of friends and family down here is shot, because even in one, two, five months time...could it happen again? :(

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 2 months ago #367608 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!

FencerMan;358972 wrote: Site for people wanting to offer accommodation to earthquake victims...

www.quakeescape.org.nz/

Also here www.trademe.co.nz/christchurch-earthquake-support

This also lets you volunteer your labour and report lost and found pets.

Web Goddess

More
13 years 2 months ago #367612 by kimberj06
The i-site in Dunedin was advetising they are putting together a database of homes with available bed space. Anyone down here wanting to get involved should call them - sorry I missed the number as I was driving.

Hoping to get out of the city while I am still young enough to make the land productive.

More
13 years 2 months ago #367614 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Have got hold of NZAppaloosas this AM, she and family are fine. She wasn't in the PRovincial Chambers as I'd thought, she was 2 doors up from it (she had been talking about wanting to move to that building, but her boss hadn't done anything about it as yet -- good thing!).

More
13 years 2 months ago #367616 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Great news - thanks Andrea :D :D

Web Goddess

More
13 years 2 months ago #367619 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Great news Andrea, I take it the number was the right one then?

Good news to start the day on, Anyone know how Ex-Member Moggy from down the beach by lake whatsitsname is? The one that had the shed converted to a B&B sleepout?

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 2 months ago #367620 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!

Andrea;358987 wrote: Have got hold of NZAppaloosas this AM, she and family are fine. She wasn't in the PRovincial Chambers as I'd thought, she was 2 doors up from it (she had been talking about wanting to move to that building, but her boss hadn't done anything about it as yet -- good thing!).

Oh that's a relief. Well done Kiwi303 for finding that number. I hope we hear from cowvet soon. Jenna I'm glad you weren't hurt although I'm sorry to hear about the damage to your place. Simkin your story gave me chills.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
13 years 2 months ago #367621 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!

Kiwi303;358992 wrote: Great news Andrea, I take it the number was the right one then?

Good news to start the day on, Anyone know how Ex-Member Moggy from down the beach by lake whatsitsname is? The one that had the shed converted to a B&B sleepout?

Birling Flats, which is far enough out not to be affected - I think she has a add on trademe for temp accom.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
13 years 2 months ago #367622 by Simkin

Kiwi303;358992 wrote: , Anyone know how Ex-Member Moggy from down the beach by lake whatsitsname is? The one that had the shed converted to a B&B sleepout?

Here is her batch:

www.bookabach.co.nz/holiday_homes/dsp_listing.cfm?bachId=9022

That area should be fine.

More
13 years 2 months ago #367625 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Fork!!!!! What a quake!!!!
Such a beautiful day here, and so little damage in this area, with all the shops open (apart from petrol stations that have run out of fuel) that it's hard to believe that less than 5km away is such devastation :(

Power and water outages are very patchy. Friends just down the road had neither yesterday, both on again today, we didn't lose ours at all. We are in the northern suburbs, sounds like eastern areas hit worst.

Airports sound like still in chaos. At the moment you can book a seat for a flight SOMETIME that day, but looks like you have to just turn up at the airport and take your chances even having purchased the tickets as times of flights are not specified. Sitting tight for the time being, there are others whose houses are devastated who need to get out of ChCh more than I do at this point in time. Hubby is home looking after the animals so all good there.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 2 months ago #367634 by Simkin
Well Tigger, what a time to be down here. I agree, it's very patchy with the power and water. We do now have both but a bit further down our street they have no water. Most of our neighbours (the ones who are either single and living in a 3 bedroom house or couples who's children have left home) have taken in friends or family whose houses have been devastated or are without water and electricity.

Yesterday we had such a murky dark drizzly day that it is particularly nice to see the sun today.

Many have left town in a southern direction and will probably be grateful for the offers of accommodation that have been made. With all schools closed until further notice and most work places out of action many will take the opportunity to take a loooooong break from the aftershocks.

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds