A Rant/Vent and associated Computer Q

More
13 years 1 week ago #26420 by Kiwi303
I left the computer running and downloading files via uTorrent, a BitTorrent client, while in the bath tonight... Being on dialup downloads are miserably slow and I usually set the computer online and uTorrent up and go do other things...

Anyhow while I was splashing away, mum came past the computer, and despite repeated instructions not to turn off the computer because I leave things running that should STAY running, she turned it off AGAIN...

Now all my partial save datalog files for uTorrent are corrupted, and 300Mb of partial downloads are gone forever... some of those were 90% + finished downloading and had been ticking over for 5 months, one had been running for 9 months!

I am FURIOUS!

Mum pays no attention to being repeatedly told to leave a running computer running...

Do any of the computer gurus know how to password the "Turn Off Computer" button on the Start menu?

I know a Dick Smith Electronics DIY circuit diagram location to make a time limit switcher for the physical chassis button. The actual physical chassis button needs to be held down for 7 seconds to turn the computer off, a safegard against accidentally bumping it. I can rig a DIY circuit to limit the current to a 3 second run, enough to switch on at the beginning but not to allow a physical switch off.
I can superglue all the power cables and wall switches in place so that cannot be pulled out of switched off.

But unless I can disable the software OS switch off with a password that I don't tell mum, there's no way to stop this happening again...

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 week ago #367179 by ame
Any good?

www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-xp/xp-prevent-shutdown/

www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-wind...indows-xp-system/644

You could also install Linux, which will allow you to configure users' capabilities.

Also, if you have a recent backup of your PC you could restore your partial torrent downloads (uncorrupted) and then restart from where they left off.

A

More
13 years 1 week ago #367190 by blimeyvicki
Why don't you password her out? So after 10mins or whatever the screensaver comes on and she can't get in. She could still hit the power button obviously.
You shouldn't lose your torrent stuff though - ours just carries on next time I boot up the machine. But I am a Ubuntu user :)

More
13 years 1 week ago #367191 by PalmyCol
Yep, just turn on the screen saver ( right click on the desktop then go properties ) it has a selectable time before it turns on the screen saver and next to it, click the button "on resume password protect" won't stop her turning it off if she pushes the button on the computer but will stop her if she uses the shut down function via the start menu.

More
12 years 11 months ago #368322 by Simkin
Eww, Kiwi, that sounds like my mum (RIP). Everything had to be in order ALL THE TIME. You could unplug the keyboard and take it with you when you are not there:rolleyes:

You could also enable 'winky L' which allows you to lock your screen at any time - no need to wait for the timer to kick in.

On the other hand - a bit of education may just be what she needs. Like turning off the washing machine or the oven when she's not looking:cool: just to make your point. :D

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds