Earthquake repairs on the way :D

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #26412 by Jenna
We had Fletcher Construction visit the other day and they brought us a builder!

We thought it would take ages to get to this point but after the EQC visit they marked our double brick main wall as a hazard, and because of that it does seem that things will be under way pretty soon - and we couldn't be happier.

Turns out that because of the extent of damage in the house (its a bit of a mess) we're getting all new ceilings and most of the walls re gibbed or cracks filled and repainted, new paint job inside and out, won't have to look at bloody great cracks or gaps or feel drafts all the time any more! Oh yeah, and the 18x4 metre double brick firewall will have to be completely removed and replaced.

Most of the work they're doing was on our "will get to it eventually" list and some was on the "must do soon" list. A quake is a pretty crappy form of "motivation" for the work getting done though.

Of course the next thing on our to do list was the bathroom and poetically, the bathroom and kitchen were untouched by the quake, so no kick-start there for us but we're looking at starting on the bathroom ourselves while other work is going on - the plumber would be thrilled at the easy access to pipes while there are no walls lol.

Anyway, we're just waiting on the builder to make up his quote for the EQC and we can start planning meetings etc and start stressing over the details and arranging to live elsewhere while they work (brain exploding...)

So I just felt like sharing - finally a big step forwards and I'm so relieved!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #367109 by eelcat
A big relief for you indeed.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #367112 by Andrea1
Good news, Jenna, though I'm sure it feels even more overwhelming than before, eh? Hope all goes smoothly!!

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #367114 by kate
That's great news....as eelcat says, it must be a relief :D :D

Web Goddess

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #367118 by Jenna
Yeah we are so relieved but Andrea you're right, it is overwhelming in so many different ways - almost easier waiting!

If they put us in a house/flat when they move us out, which things will we need to take with us and where is the rest of it gonna get stored (need to arrange that too) and if we're in a motel which is more likely for that short a period of time, we'll have to put our lovely cat in a cattery for ages :(

then there are colours, squeezing in a few other renovations before they start building (and paying for them sooner than expected, ouch), going through everything we own piece by piece and finally taking this chance to be brutal in our keep/dump deecisions - because we're going to have a house which will finally look beautiful, as long a sour "stuff" is not piled up all over the place like it is now - this place has absolutely zero cupboards or storage areas of any kind.

The house will be empty so I'll have to temporarily re-home all our container plants or they won't be there when we get back, and hopefully we will be somewhere close-by so that we can leave the chookies here and visit twice a day to let them out and put them to bed.

If we're in a motel, can I work from there (as I work from home) or do I get a badly timed 5-6 week holiday?

brain exploding.....

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #367162 by Valmai
I could be in your position soon. Fletchers are moving into the old library in Darfield so they should be swanning around my neck of the woods soon. 2(?) walls, and part of the ceiling in the living area will need to be replaced, all the rest patched up as well as bathroom & laundry. The hall, all three bedrooms need to be totally relined (lathe & plaster) plus one ceiling. Basically the entire inside of my house 'needs work'! Im not planning on leaving. If necessary I will camp out in the barn or garage. (I need to get a supply of dust masks![;)])

Carbon-based biological unit.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds