Feed bags - what to do with them?

More
14 years 5 months ago #2641 by The Kats Place
I seem to have an ever growing pile of feed bags. What do you do with them? I can't use for rubbish bags because I don't think they would break down in land fill and we have pre paid bags anyway (that don't break down - go figure). any suggestions?

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #75254 by kate
Hi TKP - we take ours back to the feed shop :D:D

Web Goddess

More
14 years 5 months ago #75256 by reggit
Do you know if they can reuse them, Kate, or do they dump them?

We have tried them for potato growing (failure) and as a weedmat (failure - too much light gets thru to stop the weeds) :(

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 5 months ago #75258 by kate
I'm pretty sure they re-use them....but I'll check with 'he who has the ute and therefore buys the stockfood'

Web Goddess

More
14 years 5 months ago #75259 by The Kats Place
I wish things still came in sacking - that had lots of uses.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 5 months ago #75260 by kalnetta
Darn good Question. We have at least 3 a week.Our feed shop won't take them back.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
14 years 5 months ago #75261 by kate
We still sometimes get lucerne chaff in hessian sacks :D

Web Goddess

More
14 years 5 months ago #75262 by reggit
Kate, would be great knowing. Then others who's feed shops don't take them back can point out that such and such does, why don't you...? Especially as if they are being refilled it would be the supplier not the seller that would do this.

I was shocked that those big blue drums don't get recycled up here...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 5 months ago #75263 by ccrk9
I use them to store bulbs that I have dug up for later replanting - spread the bulbs to dry off, brush dirt off, sprinckle flowers of sulpher on them in the bag and hang on the workshop wall - simply write what the bulbs are and the date on the outside of the bag.

I have heard of someone stuffing them and making a matress for their dogs, then just burning them (matress not the dogs[}:)]) when they get dirty.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
14 years 5 months ago #75265 by The Kats Place
Dog sleeps inside, but good plan, they could be stuffed with hay or straw. What are the environmental effects of burning them?

kats

More
14 years 5 months ago #75267 by reggit
Aren't they made from woven plastic...? :(

More
14 years 5 months ago #75268 by The Kats Place
thought so.

kats

More
14 years 5 months ago #75277 by Ghilly
All the feed sacks I've left outside just sort of dissolve after a season. A real pain if I was storing something in them. I filled a small one with all the pebbles I took out of the turtle tank and now I can't move it or it will fall apart. It was just under the edge of the carport so it got a bit of weather on it. Same goes for a couple I had excess plants in, frazzled away to fragments. If you try and pick them up your fingers go straight through and they rip. If the 'load' they have in them is heavy, it eventually just breaks through (Spilling little coloured pebbels everywhere)

We have a racing stable, Colletts, not far from here and apparently from one source, they take them to load up with horse pooh and then leave the bags at the gate for garden enthusiasts to take. Someone else told me they wouldn't want them because they get enough feed sacks of their own when buying in for the horses but I would have thought they would buy in bulk, not per bag. It could be an option though. If there are any big racing stables around. Crickey, if you had the energy and time you could offer to fill the sacks yourself and take the pooh away and sell it for a couple of dollars a bag.

I used sacks, real hessian ones to make the dogs a bed each. I sewed webbing strips, three or four to each side and two to the ends and used those baggage clips (like cycle helmet clips)on the ends of the strips so I could tighten the hessian up and also remove it for washing. I have it stretched across a wooden frame with legs on so they are raised slightly off the ground. (keeping in mind the dogs sleep inside and most of the time sleep on the humans bed;)[:I] )
They sell sacks stuffed with dacron for anything from $14 to $21 at some pet shops and vets. You can do the same thing but make it removeable. They were selling sacks and calling them Hangi sacks at an emporium in Manukau. If the sacking is strapped to a frame it doesn't need the dacron.

Sewing the strips of webbing to the sacking took a mighty amount of finger power though and the use of some pliers would have been helpful.

Yakut

• Toni - Northland
14 years 5 months ago #75278 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Feed bags - what to do with them?
Why don't you approach some of your local clubs, like the bowling club, scouts or whatever. Our local bowling club collects sheep s h i t from under woolsheds and sells it to raise funds. If there are any groups fundraising it might be worth and ask if they want them.

More
14 years 5 months ago #75284 by foodie
I have a neighbour who does a lot of woodwork with recycled untreated wood. He fills the bags and gives me (and others) the sawdust. I use the sawdust for paths between the vege patches etc. Maybe some sort of timber place would be interested in an ongoing supply? I work at a smallgoods plant and we get truck loads of sawdust delivered in a similar sort of plastic sack.

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds