Canty Quake - Exhibition: BEFORE AFTER: Let’s build a better Canterbury

More
11 years 4 months ago #26364 by Hawkspur
The Institute of Architects have put together an exhibition and discussion series on identifying opportunities to create a better and more liveable region after the Canterbury Earthquake.
The exhibition is on from now until the 20th of March in the atrium of the Christchurch Art Gallery, and the discussions are on several evenings over that period.

Please (especially if you are in the region!) add your comments and take part in the discussions.

www.beforeafter.co.nz/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #366623 by igor
Let us all hope that the Architects listen to the Engineers and Draughtsman so the new stuff being built actually works. I'm sure nobody wants to repeat the whole leaky homes fiasco.

More
11 years 4 months ago #366630 by Hawkspur
The leaky building issue came about from a combination of industry approved methods, detailing, material selection and actual construction. The blame varies from project to project, but is spread among suppliers, manufacturers, designers, national and local government, builders and owners.

But, please, let's not divert from the issue here. This is an opportunity to talk about desired outcomes for the built environment as a result of the Canterbury Earthquake. Many Canterbury Architects have volunteered weeks of their time to put together a focus for discussion (with the assistance of the NZIA, the CCC, New Zealand Steel and others) and the aim is to get people affected to say what they would like to happen.

More
11 years 4 months ago #366645 by jen
Thanks for that news Hawkspur. I'll be in town this weekend and will make a point of popping in. Very concerned about what will come of all the vacant spaces.

I've got a property in the Victoria street area and there's so much 'blank canvas' there now.. its scary! We also regularly drive through Sydenham and Beckenham (on
Columbo) and that's also a very big change from 'before' to 'after'.

Nothing worse than people not bothering to offer their input but still feeling they have the right to complain about the outcome.

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

More
11 years 4 months ago #366647 by reggit

Hawkspur;357906 wrote: The leaky building issue came about from a combination of industry approved methods, detailing, material selection and actual construction. The blame varies from project to project, but is spread among suppliers, manufacturers, designers, national and local government, builders and owners.

So true...people forget that the methods used were considered okay by govt authorities...pity the authorities who approved the methods in their standards aren't able to be litigated against...[:(!]

But I digress. Having grown up in ChCh and haunted especially those areas central city which have been hit hardest (Manchester St areas etc), and, by chance, heading down to ChCh tomorrow for an indeterminant length of time, I'll make sure I go and have a look at this. Have heard so many differing views during my last two visits down on what the 'look' should be, I imagine that it will be hard striking a balance.

Meantime I wish they would just get on with sorting out those poor buggers who are in limbo over their residential properties...:(

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Time to create page: 0.237 seconds