El Caballo Blanco

More
11 years 4 months ago #26306 by thevarneys
El Caballo Blanco was created by thevarneys
Did anyone go to this show? It was in the Vector Arena on the weekend, and my kind sister bought us tickets. :D Was really neat to see, Friesians, Lippinazers, and other spanish horses. I learnt what a Piaffe was[;)] (rearing up in a controlled manner) :D . I did feel a bit sorry for the horses though, being trucked and flown here and there and performing on cue, but i guess it is not like a circus where they sometimes use questionable methods for training (hopefully none of those types exist anymore)[xx(]. It was a fantastic show, (apart from the bit when Miss 10 dropped a whole pick'n'mix bag of lollies noisily down the next two rows)[:0]. Will post pics in few days

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #365839 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic El Caballo Blanco
Saw it a few years ago. All good apart from main man's surly daughters (?) riding horses who had expressions that they would rather be anywhere but there!

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
11 years 4 months ago #365840 by GloPony
Replied by GloPony on topic El Caballo Blanco
I must have been at the same show as tigger. The horses looked very tense & forced for the most part. It put me off going again. [xx(]

As for piaffe; not quite right... piaffe is trotting on the spot. I think what you're referring to was levade. [;)]

Glad you enjoyed it though! It's not everyday you get to see all those baroque breeds together strutting their stuff! :)

More
11 years 4 months ago #365845 by Yo Man
Replied by Yo Man on topic El Caballo Blanco
Saw them in Aussie in there orginal home base at Camden near Sydney back in 1988, something quite different to anything seen in NZ then.

More
11 years 4 months ago #365848 by witheze
Replied by witheze on topic El Caballo Blanco
Wish I'd gone......didn't realise they are based in Aussie....thought they came from Vienna.....[:I] Aussie isn't far to fly them!

More
11 years 4 months ago #365862 by GloPony
Yep, El Caballo Blanco is the Ozzie version of The Spanish Riding School that Ramon Guerrero started (I think?). He was definitely VERY involved for many years anyway before coming to NZ.

More
11 years 4 months ago #365863 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic El Caballo Blanco
ye gods.. didnt know Ramon was involved... i went to the auckland show some years back.. horrendous..
very bad venue ( aotea centre ) for what they were trying to do.. and one horse wasnt coping at all .. from the look of him, he had been taken out back for a good ' talking to' .. he was a jibbering wreck when came back in.. people walked out of that show.. it was horrid to watch...

hope vector was a better experience

More
11 years 4 months ago #366030 by GloPony
Yeah, I've been to couple of these shows in the past & was bitterly disappointed with how unhappy the horses were & was completely disillusioned. I wondered at the time why they hadn't booked more horse friendly veunues with a decent surface & more room. The one at the North Shore Events centre was the same. :( I couldn't help thinking that Te Papa (at Brookby) or even the Ambury Park indoor arena would have been better from the horses' point of view.

If I want to see jammed up, tense, forced, unhappy horses I can go to any local event for free. :p

More
11 years 4 months ago #366033 by stephclark
If I want to see jammed up, tense, forced, unhappy horses I can go to any local event for free. ...

:) very true.. and am having shuddering flash backs to some of events i have been asked to judge!..hard to say something tackfull when all you want to do is yank the person off the poor horse

More
11 years 4 months ago #366047 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic El Caballo Blanco
Now I am worried: I am going to this in Chch, but I am not keen to see tortured beasts.
I saw "Lorenzo" at the Yorkshire show a few years ago, and that was impressive.
Here is a short clip I found of that:

and here is a longer one (not dial-up suitable) of one of his other shows:

and this clip shows him with his horses unharnessed:

More
11 years 4 months ago #366167 by bevhawkins
Replied by bevhawkins on topic El Caballo Blanco
I am probably going to upset a few people on here, but what is nice about seeing horses with side reins so tight and being asked to stand on their back legs(The Levade) :( I would compare it to a circus. I went to the North Shore Events Centre a few years back and the horses did not look happy at all. Tense and twitchy. Much prefer to see a horse ridden western style natural head carriage etc. I used to do dressage but after moving over here from the UK and changing to western style, much kinder to horse and rider :)

More
11 years 4 months ago #366170 by stephclark
oh oh oh .. bevhawkins.. what a can of worms :D

i have ridden both dressage and western trail.. the side rein and lavard thing is realy haute ecole and completely different from dressage seen anywhere else...but there are many who ride who think that forced into a frame is the way to go.. this is bad rider not whether it is english or western..
i have seen some shockers on the western circuit as well.. those bits in the wrong hands, could break a jaw..

and that sliding to a halt from canter and spin on hocks.. i once heard it discribed as the equivalnat of a canter piroette..just about chocked.. :)
but gosh that has got to be hard on the hocks...

More
11 years 4 months ago #366179 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic El Caballo Blanco
Watch the third clip I attached: fairly natural carriage there! :D
Any discipline will have good and bad riders and people who are good and bad at understanding horses.

More
11 years 4 months ago #366182 by stephclark
fantastic..

i had a fella some years back who would go jogging with me.. no lead or halter.. just trot along beside, around the streets of west auckland..like a dog..
another one i taught to lunge.. without a lunge rein.. just point and off he would go.. of course he would just leave when he was bored.. but hey ya get that.. :) [;)]

More
11 years 4 months ago #366189 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic El Caballo Blanco
Glo Pony & Stephclark - I agree with you.

An excellent book & a must read:

Tug of War - Modern vs Classical Dressage

written Dr Gerd Heuschmann, German bereiter (instructor) and veterinary surgeon. Visited NZ several years ago & was poohooed!

This book is well worth reading. The photos show you a lot. I believe they are working on a rein-ometer which will be able to tell how much pressure the rider is putting on the reins.

Anyway, best get off my favourite hobby-horse - pardon the pun!

I went to the one at Aotea Centre several years ago (ticket was bought for me otherwise would never have gone). It was awful & we nearly left at half time. Why would you do that to a horse? Bring a great big animal like that onto a stage that size & ask it to perform with the audience in front of it down in a big dark pit (horses have no depth perception)?

If I want to watch proper dressage I can single out the competitors whom I know train & ride by the standard dressage way (now commonly called classical dressage) rather than go to one of those shows. Best of all I can go & watch Katie McVean ride her two lovely mares (& the rest of her team) in a Grand Prix (showjumping) or if I had lots of money go overseas & watch international GP showjumping.

The horses are probably well cared for & after all, they could be pulling a cart around the streets of Cairo (as I point out to my horses when they give me the hard done by, get me the SPCA look!).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds