Greenpeace PKE Protest

More
11 years 4 months ago #26274 by Organix
Developing story regarding Greenpeace activists who have boarded a cargo ship moored off of Port Taranaki carrying palm kernel extract. Fogged in here (again/still) so will give some surreal video coverage. Good luck to the protesters :)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #365428 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Greenpeace PKE Protest
I disagree with you and that's all I'm saying.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #365433 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Greenpeace PKE Protest
I have no intention of starting an argument either and will just say that I consider Palm Kernal Extract a waste product of Palm Oil extraction and if it were not capable of providing food for our cows and therefore a market - it would just be burnt.

That can hardly be good for the enviroment so I think of it more as recycling than contributing to the destruction of the rain forest. It is a byproduct/waste product - not the reason for the Palms being cut down.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #365492 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Greenpeace PKE Protest
A report on an interesting study that indicates not only are you what you eat, but that you are what what you eat eats.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10677503

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #365504 by FencerMan
Replied by FencerMan on topic Greenpeace PKE Protest
That seems like a typical (and over the years becoming more so) NZ Herald one sided article...

Without having access to the exact findings and only reading that article, it states that trans fats derived from PKE has been found in high risk polyvascular patients.

No where does it say how this is a bad thing? Ie, compared to control group of high risk polyvascular patients who consume the same diet but which includes milk from non consuming PKE cows, how does the total lever or trans fatty acids compare?

The study itself sounds interesting, although not really all that surprising, as any dairy farmer from about 100 years ago could of told you that what cows eat is passed through the milk. Milk taint etc is not a new thing....

However it seems as though the Herald is once again lopsiding an article to make something (PKE in this case) look bad and give the reader a subconscious opinion that it should be avoided...

BAH!

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #365515 by Farmer53
Replied by Farmer53 on topic Greenpeace PKE Protest

DiDi;356604 wrote: I have no intention of starting an argument either and will just say that I consider Palm Kernal Extract a waste product of Palm Oil extraction and if it were not capable of providing food for our cows and therefore a market - it would just be burnt.

That can hardly be good for the enviroment so I think of it more as recycling than contributing to the destruction of the rain forest. It is a byproduct/waste product - not the reason for the Palms being cut down.


If this is a byproduct i cant see the prob with this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #365518 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Greenpeace PKE Protest
PKE is also in animal feeds including chick starter. Does that mean chicken will be suspect too?

Vegetarianism, here we come.........

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #365531 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic Greenpeace PKE Protest

spoook;356695 wrote: PKE is also in animal feeds including chick starter. Does that mean chicken will be suspect too?

Vegetarianism, here we come.........

Is not PKE a vegetable/flora product anyway? and therefore could be classed as OK for vegetarians, (be high fibre if nothing else LOL)

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #365542 by Huggiechook
Replied by Huggiechook on topic Greenpeace PKE Protest

DiDi;356604 wrote: I have no intention of starting an argument either and will just say that I consider Palm Kernal Extract a waste product of Palm Oil extraction and if it were not capable of providing food for our cows and therefore a market - it would just be burnt.

That can hardly be good for the enviroment so I think of it more as recycling than contributing to the destruction of the rain forest. It is a byproduct/waste product - not the reason for the Palms being cut down.

So are they giving the PKE away for free? If not then however much of a waste product it may be you are still contributing to the profitability of cutting down the rain forest.

On that line - it is not the cutting down of palms that is the problem. It is the cutting down of the only habitat of the orangutan and many other endangered species - in order to plant that palm!!

Quarter Acre with Veggie Garden, Fruit trees, Berry bushes, Chicken run, Mushroom farm, Playground - and yes I manage to live there too [;)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #365544 by FencerMan
Replied by FencerMan on topic Greenpeace PKE Protest

Huggiechook;356724 wrote: So are they giving the PKE away for free? If not then however much of a waste product it may be you are still contributing to the profitability of cutting down the rain forest.

On that line - it is not the cutting down of palms that is the problem. It is the cutting down of the only habitat of the orangutan and many other endangered species - in order to plant that palm!!

Ah but its pretty easy to throw stones in our nice cosy glass house called New Zealand, where we all have a roof over our heads and dont starve....

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #365545 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Greenpeace PKE Protest

DiDi;356604 wrote: I have no intention of starting an argument either and will just say that I consider Palm Kernal Extract a waste product of Palm Oil extraction and if it were not capable of providing food for our cows and therefore a market - it would just be burnt.

That can hardly be good for the enviroment so I think of it more as recycling than contributing to the destruction of the rain forest. It is a byproduct/waste product - not the reason for the Palms being cut down.

Farmer53;356692 wrote: If this is a byproduct i cant see the prob with this.

PKE sales are responsible for approximately 15% of the returns gained by palm oil farmers so in effect by buying and importing PKE NZ is supporting this industry.

PKE is a resource and could far more constructively be used to partially reproduce the biomass destroyed in the jungle clearing process, or at least used as a fuel source for the palm oil refining process.

The palms are not cut down in the harvest of the oil nuts, the damage to the tropical rainforest environment happens as a result of the clearfelling of that forest in order to plant the monocultural palm oil plantations. I have personally worked in Borneo and seen the 'before and after' effects of this incredibly destructive 'development' process [xx(] Like highly intensive dairying it is a far from sustainable industry [:(!]

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #365548 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Greenpeace PKE Protest

FencerMan;356726 wrote: Ah but its pretty easy to throw stones in our nice cosy glass house called New Zealand, where we all have a roof over our heads and dont starve....

That argument is irrelevant as the income derived from oil palm farming is pretty much restricted to a few very rich landowners.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #365557 by clarry
Replied by clarry on topic Greenpeace PKE Protest

Huggiechook;356724 wrote: you are still contributing to the profitability of cutting down the rain forest.


Could the same be said of any product we buy that contains palm oil?

FMI What other products use palm oil? Heard it was in a iconic brand of chocolate

Owned a herd pre PKE days, but have managed others herds since & feed up to 6kg/cow/day of PKE. I don't like the crap, my biggest gripe is how it has changed pasture managment (or encouraged the lack of it) & increased stocking rates

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #365564 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic Greenpeace PKE Protest
When Greenpeace are accosting your average supermarket shopper then I might reconsider the issue of using of pke.

But when Palm Oil is in so many products, and still Greenpeace like to solely target farmers, I have no interest their propaganda.

I see Wikipedia lists that 'back to basics' Sunlight Soap as having Palm Oil as a main ingredient[:0] Last time I researched it, any common household soap or detergent used Palm Oil... the ready reckner was if it cost less than $8 per bar of soap then Palm Oil was a main ingredient :(
It's in chocolate, in snack food and oddly enough in plastics.

a quick google gives us this site: http://www.fedepalma.org/oil_uses.htm

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #365574 by clarry
Replied by clarry on topic Greenpeace PKE Protest

drifter;356746 wrote: When Greenpeace are accosting your average supermarket shopper then I might reconsider the issue of using of pke.

But when Palm Oil is in so many products, and still Greenpeace like to solely target farmers, I have no interest their propaganda.


Thanks drifter...well said

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.251 seconds