How many slices of bread should 2 juvenile trout eat??

More
11 years 4 months ago #26166 by ronnie
I am still amazed that the trout in our stream actually eat bread at all [:0][:0]

We found this out by accident one day, whilst feeding the tame ducks, the trout came and pinched the bread before the duck could get it. They were coming up right under her to pinch it almost out of her beak [:0][;)]

Since then, we offer them bread if the duck is there or not. No duck tonight, but 2 very hungry juvenile trout. They were happy to take the bread off the top of the water and provide a lovely sight.

I guess too much is not good for them as it has salt in it, but what would you give them??

Tonight, the 2 of them had about one and a half slices of toast bread between them. A few crumbs floated away down stream, but the 2 trout ate most of it. I waited till they seemed to not want any more and left them to it.

The very young juveniles don't seem that bothered, but do eat a few of the crumbs that sink to the bottom.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #364293 by Stikkibeek
I've seen them feed the trout at Rotorua on some sort of liver based food. I don't think bread is very suitable for fish even though they will eat it.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 4 months ago #364308 by Simkin
I guess there is a lot of grain in the feed that is given to farmed salmon or trout so if they are hungry - why not let them have a bit of bread.

There are trout and eels in the Avon river who get fed bread along with the ducks - they look fat and healthy.

More
11 years 4 months ago #364314 by kaybe
Mmmm, bread stuffed trout. Num num num. ;-)

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds