Flea infestation!

More
11 years 5 months ago #26090 by highgirl
Flea infestation! was created by highgirl
A bit of an embarrassing problem but my sons room has become infested with fleas. If you stand in there you suddenly get covered with about 4 - 5 baby fleas.

Does anyone know the best flea bomb to treat them with?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #363476 by Westermans
Replied by Westermans on topic Flea infestation!
try the vets, our whole house was infestded when we bought a new kitten...took me FOREVER to get rid of them all, are they cat or dog flees...i think cats are worse thats all....i had a mate who could not use any chemicals as it was not safe for her animals, so she spent weeks, months covering her house in corn flour and then vacuming it all up....a real pain the butt!!
Good luck, and if you do have domestic pets read the lable carefully to make sure its safe for them :)

Multitasking is my speciality:-)
www.westermans.co.nz

More
11 years 5 months ago #363500 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Flea infestation!
Most of the 'flea bombs' available are synthetic pyrethroid (SP) based, as are domestic flysprays. We used the cheaper bombs available from Mitre 10 for my Mum's unit and they worked well so probably not worth paying many times the price for similar products from the vet. Problem arose from a combination of cat, dementia and irregular vacuuming so drastic immediate measures were required. Two treatments two weeks apart did the trick, followed by employing a weekly home help cleaner :)

We had a flea problem earlier this summer and got on top of it by fogging the carpets with domestic flyspray, leave for 2-3 hours, ventilate fully and vacuum. Seems to have solved the problem. We would have preferred to use a natural pyrethrum flyspray but this appears to now not be available, and we don't have a sprayer that is capable of spraying pyrethrum solution fine enough (i.e. fogging) to ensure no risk of staining and mess.

Unless you use a strong residual product [xx(] such as Ripcord you will need to repeat at 10-14 day intervals in order to kill newly hatching eggs that are unaffected by earlier sprays. Flea life cycle is hugely variable in duration, from 2 weeks to 2 years, as they are able to remain dormant if conditions dictate. Warm/hot summer condition are optimum so expect a very short cycle at present.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
11 years 5 months ago #363509 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic Flea infestation!
use the mortein bombs from the supermarket - its not instant if you read the instructions but it does work - our dogs and cats have been bad and since we treated the house and the animals Im only seeing the odd flea

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds