flooding in Oz

More
11 years 5 months ago #26035 by gemini kiwi
flooding in Oz was created by gemini kiwi
Don't know if there is a thread going already but isn't the footage just harrowing to watch?. I have never heard of an inland Tsunami. Have friends in Brisbane and they are going to be OK, but all that water, unreal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #362800 by Jen - Featherston
Replied by Jen - Featherston on topic flooding in Oz
scary eh! I saw a clip on FB with parked cars getting whipped away with a flooding stream :( terrible!

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
11 years 5 months ago #362869 by skyline_glenn
Replied by skyline_glenn on topic flooding in Oz
My aunty and uncle have spent this morning moving as much as they can to my cousins place as the water is starting to come up their driveway. They are in Oxley which is about 5 mins from the river. Its funny, when my uncle added 3 extra bedrooms and toilet to the back of the house 4 years ago he had it all framed up with roof trusses cut into existing roof, the council inspector came along and said he couldn't build there, it had to be 600mm higher for the once in 100 year flood, to say he was annoyed was an understatement. He duly went about cutting the addition off (muttering how stupid the council is, the river will never get to here) and jacking it up 600mm. Im guessing he will be thankfull it will now probably only be half the house that needs cleaning.

Glenn

More
11 years 5 months ago #362889 by Valmai
Replied by Valmai on topic flooding in Oz
I was living in Oz (Gympie) during the 74' flood,this, they say is far worse. The fact that I can't find anything about Caloundra, where I have friends, is (I hope) a good thing. Puts our little earthquake into perspective.

Carbon-based biological unit.

More
11 years 5 months ago #362896 by kate
Replied by kate on topic flooding in Oz
My mother used to live in Gympie and I remember the marks in the shops where the last big flood reached...

Web Goddess

More
11 years 5 months ago #362898 by FencerMan
Replied by FencerMan on topic flooding in Oz
Its all quite scary. I get three channels, and they all have continuous coverage of it. 10 people are confirmed dead, the most tragic being a 4 year old boy who was swept away while being rescued.

Lots of people still unaccounted for, most of which will also be deceased. They are also predicting heavy rains and flooding through Victoria where I live tomorrow, but shouldnt be as bad as Queensland.

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
11 years 5 months ago #362900 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic flooding in Oz

Valmai;353811 wrote: I was living in Oz (Gympie) during the 74' flood,this, they say is far worse. The fact that I can't find anything about Caloundra, where I have friends, is (I hope) a good thing. Puts our little earthquake into perspective.

Have a son in Caloundra Kiwana Island, they are fine chatted to him last night reception was bad but no other problems :) :) Heading over end of March, hope it stops raining by then.

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
11 years 5 months ago #362902 by hogiehorse
Replied by hogiehorse on topic flooding in Oz
This is all so very sad and my heart goes out to everybody, especially those with loved ones and animals lost or missing.

Being a harness racing participant (and former breeder) I have been reading this article on one of the harness sites. One of the horses lost was racing in NZ in April/May last year.

www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=86555

I was visiting Melbourne (for racing) during the fires and was there on Black Saturday in 2009 and I thought at that time how lucky we generally are here in New Zealand. Our Cantabrian friends were blessed that there was no loss of life during the earthquakes, and we all have just experienced the sad losses at Pike River Mine, but this? It is more than some of us here can comprehend.

Hogiehorse
Quit lifestyling in September 2005 after 20 years but still ardent fan of this forum

More
11 years 5 months ago #362915 by FencerMan
Replied by FencerMan on topic flooding in Oz
Also of course, one of our forum members T.O.R (The old ram) is from Queensland...Hope hes doing ok!

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
11 years 5 months ago #363020 by Valmai
Replied by Valmai on topic flooding in Oz
arnie.m Thank you so much for that. Don't suppose you know how Fraser Island is doing? A friend is/was there with her family for the NY holidays. Can't get her on the cell phone.

Carbon-based biological unit.

More
11 years 5 months ago #363082 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic flooding in Oz
No Valmai, not sure but my son is ringing us probably this weekend, but looks most of the flooding will be receding by then, I will ask him. Cheers

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
11 years 5 months ago #363092 by the old ram
Replied by the old ram on topic flooding in Oz
hi FM,no I'm not from Qld,we are in NSW at the foot of the Snowy Mountains ,but crusty 88 is ,remember she was moving to TAS ,hope she and her family are all ok,thanks for thinking of us over here ..T.O.R.

More
11 years 5 months ago #363094 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic flooding in Oz
hogie horse - I am so glad no one lost their lives on the Stud. Adding to that, my heart breaks for all those lost horses. This is the first report I have heard of the devastation to the animals and I imagine the losses will be huge from many species.

More
11 years 5 months ago #363115 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic flooding in Oz

DiDi;354026 wrote: hogie horse - I am so glad no one lost their lives on the Stud. Adding to that, my heart breaks for all those lost horses. This is the first report I have heard of the devastation to the animals and I imagine the losses will be huge from many species.

That's one thing the news reports seldom cover, yet can be so important as it is often an integral part of peoples livelihoods. Goods and structures can largely be replaced....may even be insured, but livestock often is not and the losses are huge. Those standard breeds will be irreplaceable. I was pretty upset for the farmer who lost about 100 cows in the flash floods near Takaka a few weeks back.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 5 months ago #363144 by GloPony
Replied by GloPony on topic flooding in Oz
If horsey people have old gear they can donate, ALL of the Saddlery Warehouse branches & harness racing race courses around the country are acting as drop off points for both gear & $$ donations.

IRT & Qantas are flying everything to Brisbane FREE OF CHARGE in support of all the Aussie horses affected.

Anything & everything will be gratefully received! Even buckets, leadropes, etc. They have lost everything so anything at all that you can spare WILL help.

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds