3G Smartphone this site ?

More
11 years 5 months ago #26018 by ccrk9
I have a new 3G Nokia phone for Christmas - I can view this site on line from it but cant see if I can log in and post from the phone.....can I ???

I find its quite good but some sites dont seem to be 3G compatable. In some cases its better than dial up Telecom and its cheaper so we are thinking we might get rid of our Telecom internet.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #362674 by celica-gt4
Hi,

It will be more of a browser incompatibility than anything to do with the 3G connection. Nokia have their own internet browsing software (like Internet Explorer) on their phones that due to having to work on mobile devices (usually with small screens) is a "scaled down" version. Many larger websites like Trade Me and NZ Herald have dedicated "mobile optimised" versions of their sites but this is quite a challenge to implement. So to answer your question, it might not be possible to login to this website via your mobile if the browser or browser settings are not compatible.

If you go 3G at home this will not be a problem as this form of connection simply supplies the internet to your PC and you still use the same browser that you currently have. If the speed are good, 3G internet is far better than dial-up...and frees up your phone line.

Hope that helps...

• scott.nightingale
11 years 5 months ago #362681 by scott.nightingale
Replied by scott.nightingale on topic 3G Smartphone this site ?
I would expect you should be able to login and post. I haven't tested the Nokia browser but this is written from my Android smartphone

More
11 years 5 months ago #362689 by PeterNZ
Replied by PeterNZ on topic 3G Smartphone this site ?
If your browser doesn't support java script you can't log in. I still use an old Pocket PC with Windows 2003 for PPC and the Internet Explorer doesn't support java script.

I read new posts often in Google Reader via RSS. But I can't post obviously.

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

More
11 years 5 months ago #362808 by blimeyvicki
I can log in and post from my iphone. It uses the Safari browser. Very blimmen handy too:)

More
11 years 5 months ago #362844 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic 3G Smartphone this site ?
Javascript is enabled. Its not an Android phone. I simply cannot find anywhere a place to log in. I would guess my phone is simply incompatable. At least I can read posts and keep an eye on whats going on in the LSB world.

So its either keep the crap Telecom rural dial up with so called unlimited access (haha) or get rid of Telecom and go into town once a week to use the free service at the library. I was just hopeful my phone would do enough to let me get rid of telecom and still have internet at home as the Vf charges are not to bad per month on prepay.

I cant do much with the desk top as its old and running Windows 98 and we cant get broadband out here. VF say they could do broadband but we would need new computer and going wireless isnt an option as its to expensive.

Dosent matter as Im happy with the phone - I can call on it and send txts and get some internet if I want on a casual basis when my monthly play money runs out. Plus its got a camera and a whole other lot of bits and pieces Im still working out what they are and how to use.

More
11 years 5 months ago #362847 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic 3G Smartphone this site ?
by the way the phone is a Nokia 2730 classic. For the life of me I cant find the software thats on the phone - I know I have seen it but will post it when I come up with it for those who are more technical minded than me (thats most people!)

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds