A new lawn mower..... finally!!!!

More
11 years 5 months ago #26012 by Ghilly
Well, we have finally got a lawn mower!

We were going for a Roto Master 3 in 1 but they were out of stock at RD1. Instead, they had a Roto mulch on special, one only, 3 hours used time on it.

Either it had been a demo model or someone had taken it away and used it but it doesn't look used at all. It was $400 off the normal price which turned out to be cheaper than the cheaper model we had decided on..... I thank the Universe for this...

It's like a no frills tank, galvanised body, self propelled with independent front wheels (like a shopping cart). It has three areas for height adjustment, both front wheels have their own height settings and the back wheels have one lever that operates back wheel height. Zero turn and first service is free.

It'll take a wee bit of getting used to, haven't used a self propelled mower since I used Dads reel mower way back when.

Actually, looking at it, it reminds me of a Hummer Lol.

Hopefully, now, we will be able to keep the lawns at a reasonable length. Perviously it has been a hit and miss affair. We'd get the front lawns mowed and the mower would break down or the wheel would fall off or some such thing so we rarely had all the lawns mowed at the same time. One bit would be nice and tidy but another bit would be reverting back to the wild.
The wee mower I got from the Red shed was really only bought to mow around the trees and areas where the ride on wouldn't reach but as the ride on seemed to have 'injury' after 'injury', the wee thing was used to mow the whole lot.... it took hours and needed breaks to stop it and the user, overheating. Considering it's only a wee dot designed for pocket handkerchief lawns, it's certainly done more than it's fair share of work.

YAY!!! here's to having a decent lawn sometime soon! Consistent mowing should see it come right.

Thanks to my parents for the money to buy a new lawn mower!

Yakut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #362592 by Stu_R
:) congrats Yakut matey :)
and yep thanks very much yakuts mum n dad :)

:) yakut .. i use a Walker zero turn all the time :) .. if yours is anything like a Walker mower ... the greassing at the time intervals is really important :)
If yours is like a Walker , then a tip ( from someone thats come bloody close to flipping one ) anything stepish -uphill your trying to mow ... take it in mower width , straight and straight back down, move over one mower width and same again :)
:) the mulcher zero turns are great :) lol but they do chuk the grass anyway :( your probably best to run it as a straight side_shute mower ( forget the mulcher bit) ... experience has taught me that this is far easiest way to mow , lol and then when done do a quick run round up the chucked grass and it is same as a mulcher :) ( and the time diff to straight mulcher comparred to the side-shute and second run round ... um probably about 20 mins less doing the shute n run round

:) yours sounds a lot like the Walker design to :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 5 months ago #362594 by Sue
Ha Yakut, I thought you had got another goat!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 5 months ago #362595 by Stu_R
:) :) loll Sue :) nah goats n sheep are good :) ... Big grey cattle are better :) ... but mowers cost less to run and dont pug ya lawn so badly :)
:) but dont flip over as easy as a mower ( believe me i know :( ) so probabbly just as good :)
:) lol Big grey cows have 4 foot drive to :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 5 months ago #362604 by The Kats Place
great news Yakut! was it a christmas present or have you had a sneeky birthday? or just a 'because they can' type of pressy? Enjoy, and photos - before and after, both the mower and the lawn.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
11 years 5 months ago #362635 by Ghilly
It was a 'just because they can' present. They help my sister out a lot but I'm too far away, on the North Island, so they feel like it's their contribution to helping me out.... I told them Nick and her husband do a lot for them that I can't do but it makes them feel like it's more even.... they've always been like that.

Would you believe that I went out after having a try out with it up and down the driveway and found a bit had fallen off?????? [:0]:rolleyes:

The handle on it is one of those ones that you undo and fold over and the ruddy knob on one side had vibrated undone and fallen off, knob, washer and bolt, all gone. Both of us went along the drive with torches to the dulcet tones of the goats bellowing for their feed. I found the knob and the washer, Kim found the washer. I thought there was a spring washer missing as well so we wandered about with magnets on sticks. torches poking holes in the darkness...... I gave up and went to put what we'd found, back. Lo and behold... there IS no spring washer, so we were looking for something that never was. LOL. It's all in one piece again.

Stu R, this lawn mower is solid, really heavy. We don't have any steep bits that need mowing, just rough ground where the abandoned vegetable gardens were (dug them WAY too big and couldn't manage them.. watched too much of 'The Good Life') and the back yard is mostly weeds, paspalum and plantain.
Here's a rather fuzzy picture of it I found on the internet.
www.lawnmowerco.co.nz/images/library/Bla...0System%20Launch.pdf

Yakut

More
11 years 5 months ago #362636 by Ghilly
Actually, it's not QUITE like this one but very very similar. Ours has a sort of bar between the front wheels... a newer model maybe?

Yakut

More
11 years 5 months ago #362659 by Akupe
[FONT=Arial Mäori]Ah yes the joys of a new lawnmower. Having nicely kept lawns is the essence to a good looking property IMO. My lawnmowing arsenal is now complete as I have just added a brushcutter / trimmer to my 3 pronged attack. My rideon is a J-Red catcher version I had to buy 2nd hand coz it was all I could afford when we shift last May. Its a little tired and not much good for rough ground but does a great job on well kept lawn. I updated my well worn rotary cut to a budget Mitre10 mower 3 months ago and that does a great job and handles the longer stuff better. Now I have my brushcutter, the next level of long grass is in my sights. Put it through its paces on Sunday - 3 tank fulls and 1 spool line refill later and its goodbye to the long stuff. As much as I'd like to graze more and mow less my LSB is a mix of farm, homestay, vineyard, pitch and putt driving range and function area so I need a fair amount of it to be mown rather than eaten and pooped on. But I'm a bit strange because I quite like mowing lawns. Beats a gym membership hands down LOL. :)
[/FONT]

3.8 ha ... 2 homestays ... 19 sheep ... 1 kune kune pig ... 3 cats ... 1 rabbit and a wife and 2 kids under 14 years old. Plus a full time job in Wellington. Phew!!!

More
11 years 5 months ago #362682 by Ghilly
Back lawn mowed..... ye Gods it was hard work. It's like steering a full shopping trolley over rough ground. Hopefully, as the mulcher bit does it's job, all the bumps and holes will get filled in.

The holes are by the dogs, just wee ones but it makes the lawn really uneven and bumpy. The sun has shriveled off any decent grass and left lumps and bumps of weeds. The plantain heads and paspalam heads got flattened and then popped up again as I passed them on the next run. I HATE Paspalam and plantain but our lawn is about 80% of the damn stuff so killing it off would leave us with no 'lawn' at all.

I miss the ride on...... I know, it gave us more hassles than it cut the lawn but ........ if I was more mechanically savvy, I may have been able to fix all the little things that went wrong with it. In all honesty, we were sold a bit of a lemon on that one. It was really old, the gear box was iffy, finding reverse and neutral was more luck than gear stick placement, the tyres were bald (interesting when the grass was a bit damp as the brakes were worn as well, they worked but you didn't come to a screeching halt).
When it did go, it was fine.

Now I am looking at what to do with the car. The transmission seal has gone. I've phoned a few wreckers but they either don't want it (wrong model for them or it's too old). The car itself is fine, the motor is in great working order, a new cam belt not so long ago. I don't know whether to pay to get it fixed and sell it or what to do..... .sell it as scrap metal? Seems a shame. It's 19 years old and the paint work on the roof has that gloss coat thing coming off but apart from that, it's a bloody good car and I hate to think of it being crushed. .The inside is tidy (apart from where Pilot tested out her puppy teeth on the hand brake lever, so there is a bit missing and a bit chewed. The mice got in several years back and chewed through some wires but all the necessary ones were fixed, the others, like the beeper that goes when you leave the lights on and the back door lock control from the front doesn't work any more...... I feel gutted. My Mum and Dad bought me that car 10 years ago, it only had 39,000 on the clock.

The repair work itself won't cost much supposedly but it's the 'getting to' part that will cost in time and labour. BUM. Then, once they've taken $600 odd dollars to get to the bit they need to get to, there may be more damage..... or there may not be but finding out is going to cost more than I've been offered by one wreckers yard. The other yards didn't want to know.

All I see when I lift up the hood is wall to wall engine. I know where the dip stick is and the bit where the window washer water goes........ The rest of it is just motor and lots of it. I'm guessing that all this metal work has to be lifted out to get to the 'sore bit'.

I feel like a fish on the sand, flipping and flopping with the decision. Yes, get a wrecker to take it away, yes, get it fixed and sell it...... ?????

I keep looking at it and thinking it's too good to be crushed. No rust that I'm aware of..... just this ruddy transmission seal...... Poop!

Yakut

More
11 years 5 months ago #362693 by Kiwi303
hmm, if you were down here Yakut I could have pulled the transmission for you and puttered around with a new seal... I enjoy workign on cars, or utes... Mind you it would have taken a lot longer than a garage would take as they'd be on the job full time since it is their job, not a hobby.

You have the same ute as when I saw you at Waikatos World before I came down here? a Nissan Navara isn't it? RWD Auto? the best bet would probably be to pick up a transmission off trademe from a rusted out wreck with a good drivetrain, and just swap the trans. Do you know anyone up there thats a shade tree mechanic?

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
11 years 5 months ago #362777 by Ghilly
No, I have a Toyota twin cab now but it's the car that's broken, that's a Ford Telstar GT 4WD station wagon, 1991 I think.

I can't even tow it anywhere so it will have to be transported whatever happens to it.

Yakut

More
11 years 5 months ago #362811 by Kiwi303
Eh, that will be troublesome to work on, transverse front engine with 90 degree takeoff to the rear wheels like the nissan GTiR pulsars.

Personally I would put it on Trademe with a reasonable reserve, say $500, and then use the cash to buy another cheap car. Check out repocars on trademe, they sell a lot of cheap cars from $1 reserve that they reposses.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds