Mean Mums

More
16 years 10 months ago #42329 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Mean Mums
I have a nearly 4 year old, who nearly always remembers his manners and as a result is very popular with adults. In contrast some of his friends are devil spawn - rude to adults, no respect. I blame the parents, you have to be a parent first and a friend second. Is 4 too young to start cooking dinner i wonder......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Toni - Northland
16 years 10 months ago #42336 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Mean Mums
I have a very cheeky 2 year old grandson at the moment. The things he comes out with are sometimes very funny and I have to try not to let him see me laughing. I do have a warped sense of humour though. Apparently the other day at pre-school he was calling one of the other little boys Stupid Head. The other kid reckoned he wasn't a Stupid Head, grandson kept telling him he was.[:I] I always make them say please and thank you and no 4 is not too old to start cooking or doing tea time stuff.

More
16 years 10 months ago #42348 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic Mean Mums
:D Four years old... definately time he started cooking dinner. Start with the shopping that's always fun.
My kids, who are all older teenagers (or older) now, were watching one of those nanny programmes that were on a few months back. Actually watching is the wrong word, interacting with programme maybe? anyway they were growling at the parents on these programmes, yelling even, because. to them, it was so obvious:D It was so un-nerving hearing ALL our parenting comments coming out of the kids mouths that I had to go to the kitchen for a wine and a giggle[:0] Well it went really quiet so I went back in to find out what I'd been doing wrong only to have five pairs of accusing eyes looking at me <gulp> They hadn't realized that it was selp-preservation (hands up all those who've taken five kids to the supermarket) that had me detailing them off to get specific things, work out what was cheapest etc. They've been doing this since they were toddlers and thought it was fun but hadn't twigged it was a parenting tecknique. oops.

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

• Toni - Northland
16 years 10 months ago #42349 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Mean Mums
Drifter, did you see the Supernanny programme that was on last night. That kid was a shocker, the worst I had seen. He trashed the house, smashed up everything, threw playstations at the wall, the lot. The parents were seperated and the father didn't believe the wife that this kid was like that cause he wasn't in his house. They showed him the video and left the mess for him to see when he come round that night. And, a lot of those parents do not like being told they are doing it all wrong. It seems to me like commonsense, doesn't it???????

More
16 years 10 months ago #42484 by Foxwell
Replied by Foxwell on topic Mean Mums

quote:Originally posted by Isla

Since this is probably a topic parents will read, I shall ask your advice: two children came here for a visit, were entertained, taken on an expedition and when the visit was over, went straight out and sat in their car; no thank you, nothing. What does the non-parent adult do in such a situation? We like to provide such opportunities for the children, but it gets a little trying when there is such a lack of ordinary manners.

As a stepmother, mother, and recently returned from a week's holiday with friends' children I think it's best to be very cautious about getting involved with "parenting" other people's children. I think the advice to prompt the children to say thank you by saying "Thanks for coming etc" is very good!

More
16 years 10 months ago #42495 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Mean Mums
I suspect these situations just didn't occur in earlier generations when parents knew their children were their responsibility, or perhaps that everyone knew that all children were everyone's responsibility! And the children knew it too, so you couldn't behave badly just because your mother couldn't see you, because Aunty Whoever could tell you off just as ably as Mum!

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds