Am I going doolally? Vehicle rego fees for diesels...

More
13 years 5 months ago #25988 by reggit
We just paid the annual rego on our diesel ute - $596.78 [:0]

I am looking at the cost schedules from the NZTA website and notice that the regos for the same size/type vehicles are almost twice the price for a diesel than a petrol driven one.

If our ute was petrol driven, the rego would be $331.51.

Is this differentiation between petrol and diesel for purposes of reregistering a new thing, or have I just missed seeing it in the past (usually we get our annual notice to reregister, this year it went astray so we had to go in to sort it out from scratch...).

And yes, there are still RUCs to be paid on diesel, even if diesel is a bit cheaper than fuel, so not sure how this works...double dipping?

Anyone have any idea the rationale behind this?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #362275 by grannie Mary
yep its a real stinker

what you need to check out is what type of vehicle it is
ours was a station wagon & we managed to get it changed, it was registered as a Hilux & they treat them as utes,

it all depends on the number of seats. If its a ute you just have to pay but if its a station wagon/surf type vehicle you can get it changed
Blimmin fiddly but worth it for the big refund

Mary

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble,
It empties today of its strength."

More
13 years 5 months ago #362277 by reggit
Thanks GM.

What I'd like to know is when the differentiation between petrol and diesel powered vehicles came in for licencing fees...? Is this a new thing?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 5 months ago #362279 by DiDi
This is a good explanation tigger that shows what rubbish the Government thinking is as they hoon around in their tax payer paid for vehicles. No clue!
www.aa.co.nz/motoring/tips/ask-jack/runn...ion-fees-unfair.aspx

Bear in mind all the horse truck people who are also expected to pay the equivalent of a Company vehicle that may be putting on 100,000K a year against the horse truck that may use 15,000K in ten years (experience speaking here!). The whole system needs to change to mileage based rating as, given that this is going to ACC to pay their costs, what is the chance of a 15,000K vehicle over ten years costing money in accident fees as opposed to one that travels 100,000k per annum. Remember - this is about reducing business cost! - or ignorance - or too hard basket for the dim wits to consider - or the advisers (business) protecting their own turf = screw everyone else!

Perhaps we need to get motivated like the French and was it the Bolivians and say no to the nonsense that we as NZ'ers moan about amongst ourselves but do nothing more!

More
13 years 5 months ago #362281 by Organix
As a diesel vehicle you pay no ACC levies in the price of your fuel or in your RUCs so the rego clouts you with the whole lot, unlike petrol prices at the pump which include 9.9c (+GST) /litre ACC levy so is paid in instalments every time you fuel up :( There is also currently a proposal pending to increase the petrol levy rate to 12.3c (+GST)/litre).

The fuss that we as motorcyclists made in November 2009 was all about the proposed rise in ACC levies, which we tried to inform other vehicle users about. Guess most people weren't paying attention at the time:rolleyes:

If it makes you feel better I am up for $591.54/pa for my motorcycle and I have to pay ACC levy on my fuel as well [B)][B)][:(!][:(!]

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 5 months ago #362289 by grannie Mary
Dunno Tigger, just know that like you we chocked at the massive increase, probably been there for years, just too busy to really take notice
Innocence just costs us, one needs to keep on the ball, the tax take is just getting beyond all reason,
Guess there are a lot of folks like us that are getting a shock

A distance based levy would suit us as our diesel vehicle is not used more than about 3000km a year & my petrol car is only about 2000.
So really we are subsidising business vehicles

NOT FAIR

Mary

More
13 years 5 months ago #362290 by reggit

Organix;353138 wrote: As a diesel vehicle you pay no ACC levies in the price of your fuel or in your RUCs so the rego clouts you with the whole lot, unlike petrol prices at the pump which include 9c (+GST) /litre ACC levy so is paid in instalments every time you fuel up :(

So by my calculations, we would have to use nearly 3000L of diesel to 'break even' with a fuel levy of 9c a litre...which we don't come near...:(

Whereas if you are a major commercial diesel user (ie courier, freight company, etc) it is costing you considerably less than 9c a litre, so in effect businesses like this are being subsidised by small businesses/private vehicle users...

I understand now, thanks. Doesn't mean I agree with it though [:(!].

More
13 years 5 months ago #362291 by Organix

grannie Mary;353146 wrote: Dunno Tigger, just know that like you we chocked at the massive increase, probably been there for years, just too busy to really take notice
Innocence just costs us, one needs to keep on the ball, the tax take is just getting beyond all reason,
Guess there are a lot of folks like us that are getting a shock

A distance based levy would suit us as our diesel vehicle is not used more than about 3000km a year & my petrol car is only about 2000.
So really we are subsidising business vehicles

NOT FAIR

The likelihood of a distance based (diesel or RUC component) ACC levy is very unlikely as the transport industry have far too strong a voice, and would (correctly) argue that such an increase would be directly transferred to food, goods and transport costs to the end consumer. It won't happen!

NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 5 months ago #362296 by grannie Mary
Oh well
back into my hole!!!

Mary

More
13 years 5 months ago #362300 by judes

Organix;353138 wrote: As a diesel vehicle you pay no ACC levies in the price of your fuel or in your RUCs so the rego clouts you with the whole lot, unlike petrol prices at the pump which include 9.9c (+GST) /litre ACC levy so is paid in instalments every time you fuel up :( There is also currently a proposal pending to increase the petrol levy rate to 12.3c (+GST)/litre).

The fuss that we as motorcyclists made in November 2009 was all about the proposed rise in ACC levies, which we tried to inform other vehicle users about. Guess most people weren't paying attention at the time:rolleyes:

If it makes you feel better I am up for $591.54/pa for my motorcycle and I have to pay ACC levy on my fuel as well [B)][B)][:(!][:(!]

So why is a diesel 4 wheel drive over $100 cheaper to register than my diesel 2 wheel drive ute?

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

More
13 years 5 months ago #362302 by Organix

judes;353157 wrote: So why is a diesel 4 wheel drive over $100 cheaper to register than my diesel 2 wheel drive ute?

Probably due to differing GVM or what classes they are licenced as :confused:

More
13 years 5 months ago #362305 by PalmyCol
A couple of years ago they introduced a new class of vehicle, Non petrol driven. Where as before you payed the same as a petrol (up to 3 ton) vehicle. I just bought RUC Kms and it's almost 22 cents per Km now which puts the cost ( including the higher rego ) almost the same as a petrol vehicle at $130/liter for diesel.

Pretty much the only advantage now is that you go a bit further on a liter of diesel Vs a liter of petrol but once you add the extra cost of maintenance and repairs for a diesel it is now no point owning one unless you have to tow heavy loads.
As soon as I can afford it I'm changing back to a petrol vehicle

More
13 years 5 months ago #362306 by DiDi
I learnt something the other night that really opened my eyes to the ACC situation we have in this country. For some reason, I have kept and hauled around Legal precedents from when I worked in Law 40 years ago. Ouch!

I dragged them out to shred then (named parties) as part of my move and found myself reading history prior to ACC. What I flicked through were cases of people suing their employers when they had an accident on site, a car accident for damage recovery etc.

I had no recollection of this so far down the line but came away thinking - phew we are so lucky in this country that not every accident in the work place and or on the road results in the employer, the other driver etc being sued for damages. It was really basic in that in a car accident for example, the claimant set out their cost in terms of medical support etc and then the other presumably guilty party was ordered to pay for it.

I also worked in Debt Collection in a Law Office in the days when you could put someone in prison through four processes if they didn't pay up but no different from todays Court Orders no doubt that when it reached the pinnancle of non compliance, they would pay $5 and it was back to square one. Massively expensive for the "victim" to pursue.

I so don't believe that what we have as an ACC Law is right in this country in terms of the original intention and the fact that it has blown out to a monolithic sense of entitlement for everything that anyone does to themselves whenever, whatever. What I do beleive is that to rein it in and back to personal responsibility is still so far removed from the tinkering that is going on. Some would call me red neck but I don't give a damn about some drunk driver not wearing a seatbelt becoming a paraplegic after speeding and crashing into a tree. He/she can rot in hell as far as I am concerned (having worked for a disability organisation for 7 years) and put the onus back on his/her family, but if he hits innocent people and they become paraplegic, I want my tax dollars to go to them in the form of ACC. Perhaps a hard example but ACC to my mind should be about support for the "victims" of crime/accident - not the perpetrators.

In terms of Jen's thread about issues on LSB's - I figure if I am stupid enough to hurt myself doing many of the things we all listed - then I should pay for the outcome not anyone else. Nor do I want to pay for sporting injuries - that should be their Federation not the general public. I hate rugby with a passion and consider it a game for morons given the level of physical probability of getting hurt as a child or as an All Black - nor do I want to pay for tourists (and yes I know that the support level is!) when they can buy insurance just as we do when we travel abroad.

It does need a massive shake up in my opinion but so far it is taking the easy option to get revenue i.e. petrol hikes etc rather than dealing with the real issue - personal and business responsibility.

More
13 years 5 months ago #362312 by sod
DiDi I agree with a lot of what you said, one thing that upsets me as well is levies paid on a job are risk based why could not sports clubs pay in the same way

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
13 years 5 months ago #362334 by Organix
Another aspect of the changes that are on the horizon for ACC is a simple scenario that was related to me by an ex-MP during our motorcycle protests.

Imagine a warehouse workplace with Joe Bloggs heading up a ladder to get an article for a customer. His workmate Tom is holding the ladder as per the stipulations of their employer's private workplace insurers' terms of cover. A phone rings as Joe heads up the ladder and he gives Tom the okay to go and answer it assuming all is well. Joe leans out too far to grab an extra item and the ladder topples with Joe receiving serious, potentially long term, injuries.

As Joe was up a ladder without another person present to secure it he was operating outside of the terms of cover of his employer's insurer so the injury claim is declined.

Is Joe then covered by ACC by default? Hardly likely, as to allow such claims to be made on ACC will be financially crippling for ACC, especially considering that over time ACC will become the default insurance provider for those with pre-existing injuries and other 'defects' that result in them having cover declined or provided with specified exclusions by private insurers.

This then leaves Joe with only one option; to take legal action against whoever he thinks can be proved culpable for his situation. Even in the unlikely situation that he is successful this will be a slow and expensive process.

ACC as we have it now may be less than perfect but the direction that Nix Myth and his cronies are taking us in is truly scarey [:0]

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds