How's much do you pay?

More
11 years 6 months ago #25767 by highgirl
Our young neighbour is fundraising for a school trip overseas next year, so is going to do some work around the house for me...mainly housework, window cleaning, washing down outside walls etc.

What is everyone's thoughts on a pay rate? I know what I'd like to pay her, but we haven't got very much money at all...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #359609 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic How's much do you pay?
When I employ anyone on my farm, it all comes down to how experienced they are and how fast they get the job done. Example - one person may charge $25 per hour and go like a bat out of hell and you have no problem paying that. The other person who charges $25 an hour works at snail's pace and so it costs a hell of a lot more. Fired!

Young neighbour - have a figure in mind as to what you can afford and will appreciate if he/she puts some muscle into the job. First up - ask them what they are expecting!

If they say $5 an hour tax free and do an awesome job then you have the opportunity to make a further donation to their fundraising trip. If they want a hell of a lot more and don't have life experience (plus do a lousey job ultimately) - start with giving them a one day trail and call it if it doesn't work for you. That would be my take on this as your dollars are just as important to you as their fundraising is to them, bearing in mind that you are not donating to the cause - they are earning their money and that in itself is a life lesson to a young person.

More
11 years 6 months ago #359612 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic How's much do you pay?
$15 per hour - cash, as in notes.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
11 years 6 months ago #359614 by highgirl
Replied by highgirl on topic How's much do you pay?
I did ask her how much she wanted but she didn't want to say. She is only 14 or perhaps just turned 15, so I think $10 would have to be my limit and realistically even that is taking food of my childrens plates so to speak.

I'm a big softy and hate to feel like I'm ripping someone off...in fact I'm down right useless at being hard nosed unless someone really rubs me up the wrong way.

More
11 years 6 months ago #359620 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic How's much do you pay?
$15/hr? No wonder I can't afford children! Actually, might suggest all the kids who want holiday money head for Palmerston North. Good pay down there! [;)]

More
11 years 6 months ago #359628 by Vanaheim
Replied by Vanaheim on topic How's much do you pay?
$15 an hour for a teen. Stuff that. 10 bucks is what i go to.

Bræðr munu berjask ok at bönum verðask,
munu systrungar sifjum spilla;
hart er í heimi, hórdómr mikill,
skeggöld, skalmöld, skildir ro klofnir,
vindöld, vargöld, áðr veröld steypisk;
mun engi maðr öðrum þyrma.

Brothers shall fight | and fell each other,
And sisters' sons | shall...

More
11 years 6 months ago #359630 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic How's much do you pay?
15 Dollars is far too much. Minimum pay is $12.50 per hour and they have to pay tax.

I'd go with 10 Dollars, too, and that is VERY good pay for a 15 year old.

More
11 years 6 months ago #359632 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic How's much do you pay?
As she may not be experienced at negotiating wages/hourly rates and she is someone you know and can explain the situation to, I'd let her know the maximum you are willing to pay, tell her what I'd pay a hard /fast working adult for the work, and how much time I'd expect it to take. She may take longer and require more guidance, but if she gets the work done it is fair.

Standard weekly housecleaning, not including windows etc. for a small to average house would be up to 2 hours work for a professional cleaner and they'd get maybe $15/hour and pay their tax from that.

More
11 years 6 months ago #359635 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic How's much do you pay?
Overseas school trips! Not a necessary part of education, it's a luxuary and if they wish to have them, let the parents fork out for it.

When I pay somebody to help clean my house, it's to someone who needs the money to live. She takes $12.00 an hour (her price, not mine), works like a trooper and does a bloody good job. My money is too hard come by to give to 15 year olds, most of whom have trouble keeping their own rooms tidy.

Highgirl, if your money is equally hard come by, keep it in your own pocket or pay her $5.00 an hour. If she's that keen to go on the trip, she will do it. She's working for a holiday, not for wages and nor is she a charity. We're too easily suckered into believing some things are good causes and feel that we should "donate".

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
11 years 6 months ago #359721 by Sweetpea
Replied by Sweetpea on topic How's much do you pay?

Ronney;350269 wrote: Overseas school trips! Not a necessary part of education, it's a luxuary and if they wish to have them, let the parents fork out for it.

Heck, if a 14/15 year old is prepared to go out and try and earn some money to fund a trip rather than expect their parents to pay for it, I think the young girl deserves a round of applause. Whether or not Highgirl ends up giving her some work and paying her is Highgirls decision of course, and if money is really tight I would perhaps be saying either no, or saying that I can't offer much in the way of hours, but would be prepared to pay NO MORE than $10 an hour. Maybe another way of helping would be to recommend her to other friends/neighbours who may be looking for some extra paid help.

When I was 15 I had 3 part time jobs, after school and on weekends. I am so glad that I was given the opportunity to learn the value of working and earning my own way by people who were unconcerned at the state of my room - which, by the way, was a tip. (I've come right since then [;)])

To add - as adults, when earning wages, what we do with those wages is our own affair. I wouldn't care to guess how much of my wages has gone on travel over the years but it would be an extraordinarily large amount. I would figure a 15 year old can spend their earnings on far worse things than travel.

More
11 years 6 months ago #359729 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic How's much do you pay?
Our adult cleaners at work are on $15 per hour gross and I am told this is a good rate....

I would also suggest $10 per hour but fixed to how many hours you consider your house takes to clean. Obviously a bit of education needs to go into initial days...

More
11 years 6 months ago #359746 by The Kats Place
$10 at the very most, I pay a lady $15 sometimes when I need the help and she works like a white tornado, very experenced. What about putting a price on the actual job so if they do muck aboout then it doesn't end up costing you too much?
eg: $20 to do the windows

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
11 years 6 months ago #359749 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic How's much do you pay?

Allisonwonderland;350363 wrote: Heck, if a 14/15 year old is prepared to go out and try and earn some money to fund a trip rather than expect their parents to pay for it, I think the young girl deserves a round of applause.

Your dead right Alison - but at $15.00 an hour! I don't think so, or at least, not in my books. As has been pointed out, this is more than the minimum wage and is tax free. Perhaps the point I was really making was that if I was so monied I could afford to have somebody help clean my house, it would be to somebody who needed that money not to some kid, no matter how nice she is, who wants to waft off overseas on a school trip.

But never mind, perhaps I come from a slightly different financial strata to some and live in a much poorer area than many.

More
11 years 6 months ago #359774 by igor
Replied by igor on topic How's much do you pay?
Encourage the young one's work ethic but $15 an hour is an adult labourer's wage. I would start at $5 an hour for a child. If they did a man's job I would consider paying them a man's minimum wage but most often they just aren't physically able to do it.

More
11 years 6 months ago #359776 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic How's much do you pay?
I am adult ( well i think 51 counts as being an adult :) ) and i am happy to do work ( and i do work when being paid, not just pee around and think i should be paid for just being there) for $10 an hour cash... So i think $10 an is a good rate for her , as she is actually getting off her bum and trying to raise money and prepared to work for it :) ... so many of the younger gennerattion these days just sit back and expect hand-outs ... :) is refreshing to hear of a young one actually looking to do something to help herself :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds