Love it or Loathe it .. its Xmas time

More
11 years 6 months ago #25661 by bev
its that time of year, and the brain is generally tired already but you have to get some prezzies
anyways .. So i thought i start a 'idea' thread[B)]

As most people, i have a limited budget

so for my older generation, my grandparents, the are knocking near the 80s, and have most things, sooooooo this year, they are getting Electronic salt and pepper shakers, just push a button and done, my nana has real bad arthritis in her hands and with a bung shoulder finds it hard to hold and turn

Sisters and inlaws .. this year i have gone crazy:rolleyes: They are all getting himalyan salt lamps! OMG they are absolute bliss, especially as a smoker indoors, the different is amazing, i highly reccomend them, and the salt for yourself makes food taste any better (and great for animals, its all i ever use)

The parents, booze, as they live in a house bus so room is limited

The newphews and neices .. warehouse vouchers, cause sometimes what i think is cool, is not not cool[:0]

So what are your ideas this year for buying gifts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #358544 by tonic
my neices and nephews get special presents for their birthdays and at christmas they get a family present to share. usually something fun to do together over the summer holidays.

More
11 years 6 months ago #358548 by reggit
Vouchers for Boxing Day sales, or Oxfam contributions on behalf of...[;)]

The only ones who get presents now are the littlies, and only the ones we share Xmas with. Not into posting gifts all over the place...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
11 years 6 months ago #358549 by Stu_R
:) my 2 dogs get 1/2 a cooked chook each .. sheep and goats get a visit and treats of nuts n weet-bix and fresh cut Willow :)
The human side of the family ... nothing .. Xmas xxld due to lack of $$
My animals are more important to me :) thats why they get things

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 6 months ago #358557 by sod
We started off an idea few years ago as there are no little one now we all buy presents for $5.00 or less for each other and try to be inventive not cheap $$ shops, so it's second hand shops and bargan places :)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
11 years 6 months ago #358564 by ronnie
I'm in the loathe it camp. One member of my family spoil us throughout the year, so we try and spend a few $$ on them at Christmas. The rest of my side get very little - the aussie ones get a calendar - must get onto that.....

His side all get a box a choccies. They are on special this week, so my shopping is all done - well, very nearly

I would be pleased if the whole of December would just vanish.
As I have always worked over this holiday, so family oriented work colleagues can have the time off, I find nothing interesting in it at all - just another day.

So much heartache for so many people around the world - is it all worth it??

just my 2c worth.

More
11 years 6 months ago #358568 by Stikkibeek
I don't much like Christmas either. It seems to me that I end up putting my life on hold for two whole weeks. Then, my holiday seems like it's running out fast.

But for FIL who is walking around with a badly sawn off broomstick, A new walking stick.
MIL Something to sweeten her[}:)]
Mother. Would probably like some perfume, but I can't afford the channel #5 she likes, and I don't think you can get mischief anymore, so at a loss to what to get her. She'd like subtle, but not a cologne full of alcohol which would be bad for her fragile skin. Maybe a cream perfume? Can't take her shopping, she's not mobile.
OH. Well there's a challenge for the guy who has everything, (Fast cars:rolleyes: and me!) Might look at a freeview decoder for us both but know nothing about them.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 6 months ago #358573 by spoook
Mmm :rolleyes:, bah humbug ...... cancelled here too.
Too busy to organise Xmas, it will have to wait.
Those close to me know I wuvs them, I do things during the year for their benefits........... pay it forward.[;)] They just have to know to save the warm and fuzzies for when they need them.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
11 years 6 months ago #358578 by beedee
Bev, I thought you were saying your parents booze, so no pressies for them......... which didnt make sense, so I reread it and put a comma in
yup its hard this year.. my lavender is flowering so I might make smelly baskets to go in with the clothes,, only the ribbon to buy then.. otherwise like spoooook, in her last statement, work on the pay it forward on what ever is required at the time....... through out the year! the petrol price rise has really stung everyone I am sure and esp those of us living below the benefit and on hope alone

More
11 years 6 months ago #358581 by charlotte1
The loath it camp here. The chilbren (4&6) are making gifts this year. Nice teatowels with their hanbprints an name on them. Using special paints we have at Playcentre. They will be use as wrapping for a few small gifts, a 3 photo photoframe, 1 piece of art per chilb an a photo of the 2 of them together. Got some nice Central Otago wine for those that like it, noting which varieties they have enjoyeb in the past an buying it on special at the supermarket.

As for the kibs, not too sure. Have to work out if Mr6's bike is unfixable. If so he is getting a new one if not, well I am stuck.

More
11 years 6 months ago #358617 by igor
The whole thing has been hijacked by commercial interests. It should be a time for family gatherings, not for spending money one does not have on stuff nobody needs.

More
11 years 6 months ago #358656 by OakhengeFarm
Igor, you left out a bit - it's spending money you don't have to buy presents they don't need, for people you don't like!

Bah humbug, who needs rellies?? I'd rather spend money on friends, but there's none left by the time I've bought crap for rellies I try to avoid all year!

11 acres (4 in QEII Covenanted native bush), 15 sheep, 2 beefies, large vege gardens and a goat, and still no dog!:(

Oh, and uncountable wild birds - including fantails, swallows, yellowhammers, morepork, magpies, hawks, pukekos, and even quaill, pheasants and rainbow lorikeets [:D][:D] Not to mention possums, hares, rabbits, rats...

More
11 years 6 months ago #358660 by igor
I don't even buy stuff for most of the people I do like.

More
11 years 6 months ago #358708 by sod
We love it but for the real reason for the season agree with igor, not commercial ideas

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
11 years 6 months ago #358749 by highgirl
After xmas last year, I decided to cancel xmas this year. I agree its far too commercial and far too busy trying to run around the countryside seeing and pleasing everyone.

Money is very very tight this year so I have no idea where I'm going to start and don't even have the energy to think about it.

I'm with ronnie who said that I wish december would just pass...I should try to be positive though...OH loves xmas and that makes for quite a peculiar situation :)

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds