Computer IP Address Change

More
11 years 7 months ago #25570 by Bunter
Hi, clever computer people.

I subscribe to an on-line magazine, hosted by Nxtbook via PDF. Anyway, my subscription allows me to access each issue on 3 different computers to allow for computer replacement.
I am still on the same computer and have never attempted to open any issues on any other computer. However, over the weekend I received access denied messages on 3 issues from earlier in the year. This is the second time this has happened this year :(
I managed to convince the company to reset these issues after a few emails backwards and forwards but they are adamant that their system tells them I have opened some issues on 3 computers; I know I have not :confused:
Their final comment was that a change to my IP Address can affect the count.

Soooo, I did some googling and found a reference on a NZ website that, when on xtra, each time your modem reboots or the connection is lost your IP Address resets. I am on xtra broadband with an ADSL modem.

Does anyone know anything about how, or if my IP Address could reset without my knowledge ?

Karen
26 Acres South Wairarapa.
1 Dog. 12 yearlings, and 11 weaners ...... hand reared beef x's !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #357428 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Computer IP Address Change
The IP address that the NXTbook people can see, will probably be the one that XTRA allocates to your modem. This IP Address is on the ADSL Wide Area Network (WAN) side of your modem.

This is not the IP Address that your computer has, that is usually allocated to you by your modem, as you are on the Local Area Network (LAN).

Your WAN address is completely out of your hands, and up to XTRA to dynamically allocate to you when your modem initially connects. Periodically your modem hands that IP Address back to XTRA (it times out), who promptly re-issue it to the first modem that asks.... 99% good chance that it will be yours again. However if some other modem on XTRA decides to ask for an address at that precise time, then it will get it, and you will get the next but different address. Or if XTRA reset their address handling computer, it's a real lucky dip who gets what.

You can if you wish, request that your modem is allocated a static (fixed) IP Address, they happily charge $20 per month for it.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
11 years 7 months ago #357430 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Computer IP Address Change
Then again...

Maybe they are getting your LAN address, which is dynamically allocated to you by your modem. If so, we can do something about this.

Do you have the addresses that NXTBook say you've used?

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
11 years 7 months ago #357439 by Bunter
Replied by Bunter on topic Computer IP Address Change
Very interesting info. Thanks. The digital sub comes to me from the company that sells the magazine, they use NxtBook to publish it.
I had asked for more info as to how they 'know' how many computers have accessed the issues but they ignored that and just state that their system is set to lock access after 3 different computers have accessed it. It took me a while to get out of them that a change to IP address could affect the count.
At least they did alter my count access for the issues I was locked out of and checked others to make sure I can still get into them .... for now!
I'll have another go at them now that I can ask some more specific questions. I'll see if I can get some info from Nxtbook's website as well.

Karen
26 Acres South Wairarapa.
1 Dog. 12 yearlings, and 11 weaners ...... hand reared beef x's !

More
11 years 7 months ago #357447 by kiwi_jon
Replied by kiwi_jon on topic Computer IP Address Change

wyseyes;347857 wrote: Then again...

Maybe they are getting your LAN address, which is dynamically allocated to you by your modem. If so, we can do something about this.

Then again....

they could be getting the IP of Xtra's caching proxy servers :p

According to NXTBooks FAQ's session cookies are used to provide information on how many visits, how many downloads etc. If the cookie includes IP info then it will be the local network IP.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds