Change to minimum driving age...

More
11 years 7 months ago #25475 by JustHoldingOn
Does anyone know the date when the minimum driving age changes from 15 to 16? My DD is 15 next year & we have a 50cc scooter here ready for her, but if she has to wait another year we might sell it and buy again later. I have googled it but can't find anything. Thanks :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #356541 by igor
Just keep it. It's not eating anything. That's why motorcycles are superior to horses.

More
11 years 7 months ago #356557 by stephclark
courting controvacy again igor?

More
11 years 7 months ago #356558 by igor
hell yes!

More
11 years 7 months ago #356560 by stephclark
excellant.. keep up the good work :D

More
11 years 7 months ago #356561 by sod
igor I love it must remember it :D :D

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
11 years 7 months ago #356563 by DiDi
I believe they have not announced a date yet - or an age - just likely. [:0]

If they just raise the age without tackling the cc rating of cars the youngsters can drive, it is another ministerial botch up - in my opinion. [}:)]

More
11 years 7 months ago #356564 by igor
To base anything on cc rating is crap, should be based on horsepower rating. So should motorcycles. Lots of old V8s and big sixes have way less HP than many of the wee turbocharged rice rockets that the children like. I'd rather put my teen into a Falcon or Galaxie with plenty of steel around him than a plastic rice rocket.

sod, steph, motorcycles also do not push your fences down to reach the grass on the other side.

More
11 years 7 months ago #356580 by drifter

igor;346888 wrote:
sod, steph, motorcycles also do not push your fences down to reach the grass on the other side.

pfffft whatever. DH's bike rolled down the hill three times in the last two years and totally demolished the fences in the process. That's pretty willful destruction on the part of the bike[^] AND... it didn't even want the grass once it got there... just lay around ruining it:(

My horse jumped. No fences were hurt in the process :p

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
11 years 7 months ago #356582 by terralee

igor;346888 wrote:

Well my hubby's one tried to kill him[:0]...twice!!!!!:eek:
Cheers[;)]

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
11 years 7 months ago #356585 by DiDi
igor - I am happy to concede your point about hp rating but the reality is that no insurance company is going to insure your under 21 year old son in a V6 or V8 but also have a list of "pocket rockets" that they also will not insure. There is National Auto who will but the excess and cost will exceed the value of the car so usually they don't insure. Poor you when it all goes wrong and you are the victim of an uninsured driver.

I do understand where you are coming from and was having this debate some years ago when I was working in insurance BUT - if you put a kid in a car that they think is bombproof in terms of saving their life in a accident, then you also need to realise that the smaller cars of today come equipped with safety gear that Falcon and Holden had never thought of a number of years ago. My daughter's small 1996 car has a number of airbags and side intrusion bars. So - will your son come off better in an accident than she will? Personally I doubt it (mind a Mach truck would take out both of them!) but for your day to day accident (not random headons) I believe she will be better off. This comes from seeing a local lad take a corner too fast, hit a bank and his Holden broke in two. He survived - just!

Not meaning to start arguing with you but you need to look beyond the might is right arguement - in my opinion. Cheers

More
11 years 7 months ago #356586 by beedee
Igor I have seen a few farm bikes that have taken on posts and fences and they seem to do a bit of damage.. I am guessing you wear armour when you turn this site on!!!

More
11 years 7 months ago #356647 by igor
Call me pedantic if you like folks. Bikes do not roll. They have only two wheels so they just fall over. Quads on the other hand can and frequently do roll when used unwisely. Trikes are worse. Years ago my dad and I went halves in a trike for the farm. After we, and my brother also, had rolled it numerous times we decided that it was inherently unsafe on our hill country, put it away in the shed, and saved up for a quad.

DiDi, while I recognise your experience in the insurance racket, I must point out a few things.
Not all sixes are of vee configuration.
Many old sixes are of smaller cc rating than some of the modern fours and certainly of less HP (think Triumph 2000 and Vitesse or Holden's 138 and 149 cubic inch dinosaurs).
Many so called sports cars have smaller engines and less HP than common family sedans of the same period. As an example a man I worked with years ago had an MG Midget while his brother had a Hillman Hunter. The Hunter had a bigger engine and 10 MPH top end advantage on the Midget but I'm sure you know who paid more for insurance.

P.S. I drive an old car myself because I can.

More
11 years 7 months ago #356669 by FencerMan
Only my two cents....I still think the point is being missed. Limiting HP or CC or any other kind of way is still going to be pointless....We have plenty of laws already restricting modifications etc, and I can tell you for a definite fact that pink and green stickers are still issued on a daily basis, at least in South Auckland.

I still believe the penalty of the crime needs to make committing the crime unworthwhile (think I just invented a new word?)

For example if you sped, instead of getting a ticket from an officer or a fine in the mail, you got a bullet through the head, no warning. Imagine somebody on a bridge lining up with a speed rader, and a rifle. 5kmh over the limit, bang, bullet through the head.

Everyone would stop speeding overnight!

Now thats a bit extreme, but same principals apply. Maybe impound the cars straight away at any kind of excessive speed or loss of traction or uncertified modifications? Most people would be safer drivers straight away, and those that werent would not have cars for very long.

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
11 years 7 months ago #356716 by igor
To get back to the point raised by JustHoldingOn, the legal driving age, I believe that the age should remain at 15. Changing it to 16 might save the lives of a few 15 year olds but equally might kill a few more 20 year olds. It is just moving the high risk age group by one year. With the reduction in the legal drinking age from 20 to 18 and the proposed increase in the legal driving age to 16 or, as some have suggested, 17 the young ones would be learning to drive and learning to drink at the same time even more than they already are. Can anyone see the problem I'm seeing here?

Time to create page: 0.292 seconds